Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #127
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
36/Manual.

1- because this is a toy
2- a retro 69 Muscle Car should be a manual
3- i wanted the HP
4- Competition Mode

if there were no paddles on the steering wheel and there were an old school slap shifter option, i may have reconsidered.

but i'm very happy with the manual. the clutch is taking getting used to (the last V8 Manual i drove was a 69 428SCJ Mach 1 with a 30lb mechanical clutch)

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #128
JPAYORK

Drives: 2007 Toyota FJ
I posted that I ordered a manual, but a manual does not make a sports car a sports car. Check out Ferrari's technology with clutchless paddle shifters with full auto mode. Anyone on here who tells me a Ferrari isn't a sports car is an idiot. I prefered a manual Camaro just because I've always enjoyed shifting the gears and that's just want I want, I wouldn't buy an automatic Camaro, but that's just my choice. Not going to knock a stranger for thier choice.
JPAYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #129
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
wow, more response than I anticipated. Thanks for the opinions & info

I appologize for the tension caused by the question ! It wasn't my intention to get a "war" between the auto/manual fans !

I think some people are certainly aggressive in their opinions but lets not forget to take it as just that "opinions" one of which everyone is entitled to! I don't think anyone needs to be defensive about anything. We'll all pick what we want for the reasons we see fit and theres nothing wrong with either choice!

Again even the above is just my opinion and hopefully nobody took offense to it, but for those who have been upset, just remember there will always be differences of opinions and there will never be a unanimous agreement on any matter, but whether an opinion is completely against mine or not, I don't see it as a reason for me to be offended because theres no reason a person can't feel "passionate" about their own opinion and passionate against whatever they feel was opposite their opinion so long as it is expressed within reason.

From what I read, I feel most of whats gone on is just a lot of miscommunication/misunderstanding/misinterpretation etc... Which is even going to occur more frequently when reading off a forum rather than sitting in a parking lot with a buncha beers and our camaro's

Anyways, I appologize again if I stirred a sensitive debate ! I was just curious to hear some different opinions and to see how age was coming into play.

Personally, I've always been driving autos but as I mentioned previously I went with Manual for my Camaro. I had my concerns as to whether my choice was at all influenced by those around me, or the media portrayals of muscle cars, or all the "Manuals the way of the muscle" bravado business. For the most part I am confident I made my choice for myself in that I am really hoping to experience more involvement and "control" over my driving experience, but I do feel that there is to some extent, a dose of peer influence on my choice as well.

A lot of Muscle Car fanatics come from a different era, and from a place where Manual was the dominant transmission for the "Muscle Car" So I don't really find it suprising to see a lot of die hard Manual fans, it's got a lot more history. The Auto's are a newer technology and so the fan base will not be as extensive and I was curious really to see if the fans of the Manual might tend to favor people who grew up around the old muscle cars more so, and the auto maybe favor those who never learned or aren't the die hard old school "muscle car" guy types. I guess really I was just curious what the influences and diversity in peoples choices was

( I hadn't even considered the knee/back issues as a factor so that was interesting and a new concern for me since I might have an upcoming back surgery for a herniated disc ) - - I hope that won't be an issue. I'm otherwise young and healthy/fit.

I am still currently kinda humming n hawing over the m6/a6 and wondering if I should keep my order as is (currently m6) or switch... Just because I haven't driven stick (My lessons start this weekend) I thought other peoples experience may offer insights that I hadn't considered. I have no doubt the manual will be fun to learn for me, but I do wonder how I'll feel after months/years driving it as a daily driver will impact my comfort level with it.

I may hit up the tracks occasionally, but I am no race car driver, it will be a daily driver (except through winter, I'll be picking up a beater for that) I will get caught up in some bumper to bumper from time to time, rush hour and accidents will happen as well as the downtown city driving. the 26 HP difference isn't a major concern for me as I don't even know how much into the modding I'll go. 400 HP is plenty and I'm sure there wont be a lot of opportunity to push this car to it's limits in daily driving so I'll likely not even see the fruition the 426 offers all that often.

That said, I picked manual for a new experience in my new Camaro, for the "Muscle Car" experience I always wanted to live out myself growing up as a kid watching shows like the Dukes of Hazard, knight rider, bullitt, smokey, whatever... My hot wheels were GTO's and Camaro's, and now I get to have one so I figured I'd do mine up the way I remember them to sort of fulfill that childhood desire.

The auto I know is an easy drive, and I did like the remote startup (but really that's a bit of a gimmic and serves no necessary purpose from my point of view) so it wasn't enough to persuade me. I just hope the excitement/fun/involvement of a m6 turns out to be what I hope it will be ! I really wouldn't know what was missing if I went with the auto, since I've yet to do the Manual driving lessons.

I know a lot of ppl may feel I don't need a Manual or even a 2SS for what I intend to use it for... but for "me" personally, I'd feel better sitting in a 2SS than a v6 and the Manual just felt more coherent with what I grew up wanting to experience.

I wish you could just switch between the two at any given time with no major cost/hassle. !!

Anyways thanks again for the replies sorry for the massive rant! I went a little blog crazy there.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #130
Bull

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/IBM/Beige
41...4 LKnee ACL Reconstructions, manual. Figured it would be good physical therapy.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #131
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
2LT/AUTO/RS
22 yrs old / MALE

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #132
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
SS auto/24...I don't want to keep having to pay for my "play" side...ie. tires and clutch...not to mention the extra stress on drive-line. I also agree...manual=toy, this will be my daily driver so I did the sensible thing and got an auto=minor better fuel economy and less agressive tendencies...imo
Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #133
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
43 automatic...If you have you ever driven in DC traffic then you understand why!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #134
mikeyp15

Drives: 07 B. Avalanche, Harley V-Rod
29 Auto
mikeyp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #135
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Comfort level, experience, driving conditions, economy, physical limitations and of course personal preference all have a part to play in selecting the transmission. I'm perfectly o.k. with a muscle car with an automatic, I don't think it takes anything away from the image at all, considering the advancements made in that technology over the past several years.

30 years or more ago most of the autos available couldn't handle the torque and horse power of the 'big' engines, without spending an annual salary on one that is. Modern autos can be had for cheap (comparably speaking that is) and
can handle engine outputs that were unheard of back in the day.

I'd be happy to ride in any of your auto-Camaro's (hell, I'd be happy to ride in ANY Camaro right now)

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #136
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
It does not take anything away from the Camaro it is just personal preference. I'm just tired of people saying that just because it's a muscle car you must get Manual.
Quote:
That was a real immature thing to say. If you want a war, you will get one.
I don't remember the OP asking anything besides age and tranny. Nothing about which is best. BTW, you never mentioned your age, im' guessing pretty young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The main reason to get a Manual is not to impress but to enjoy having more control of your vehicle and being able to do burnouts at will Obviously downshifting and starting at first gear when you want to without the hassle of putting the car into manual mode..etc.. It is up to you..
Impress has nothing whatsoever in my decision. The fact that in my opinion Camaro is a sports car even if it is a bit bulky and heavy. And my opinion is that a sport or performance car is much more responsive with a manual. And a hell of a lot more fun.
Nothing aimed at you Super, just used your comment as a catalyst for mine.

Quote:
It;s because some people are being very Arrogant around here.
Read your quote below, i'm thinking that's arrogant.

Quote:
Give me a F'ing break. Does not make the car more or less, it is personal preference. I am tired of the people saying "oh this car must be a manual because it is a muscle car" Fu*K that it is still an amazing car and having an Auto or Manual does not make a difference with it being a muscle car or any better. It is personal preference. The Auto and Manual has it's pros and cons like any other choice we make in life.
Aren't you contradicting yourself there? If it's personal preference, then why are you so angry at someone elses preference.. In another one of your posts, I think you mentioned not knowing how to drive a stick. Try sometime, maybe your preference would based on experience rather than the fact that you have only experienced one or the other. You are right in one regard. Muscle has nothing to do with it anyway. The fastest 1/4 mile is done with an auto in funny cars and rails and that's some serious muscle. Track cars usually have stick for reliablilty and control.

BTW, 51, SS/RS M6 because that's my preference
Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #137
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
41 2SS/RS/blk/blk/manual/gfx/silver rally stripes
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #138
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro509 View Post
Comfort level, experience, driving conditions, economy, physical limitations and of course personal preference all have a part to play in selecting the transmission. I'm perfectly o.k. with a muscle car with an automatic, I don't think it takes anything away from the image at all, considering the advancements made in that technology over the past several years.

30 years or more ago most of the autos available couldn't handle the torque and horse power of the 'big' engines, without spending an annual salary on one that is. Modern autos can be had for cheap (comparably speaking that is) andcan handle engine outputs that were unheard of back in the day.

I'd be happy to ride in any of your auto-Camaro's (hell, I'd be happy to ride in ANY Camaro right now)
The Camaro automatic is cheap at $1000 compared to some. I replace a tranny in a F250 a few years ago, price $3000. The Alisson tranny behind the Chevy (Isuzu) Duramax is a lot more than that.

The track times aren't that much different between the auto and the TR6060. Soon enough people will have stalls and modified pumps and clutches for the automatic and it will probably run faster than the M6. (Providing both engines are stock for the comparison)
Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #139
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
auto / 21

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #140
smartalec

Drives: Soon to be a 2010 Camaro
I'm going to get the 2010 camaro for my 1st car. And, while I know how to drive stick, I'm getting the automatic because it would be a pain for a daily drive, especially beacuse I live near hills.
smartalec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, snobs