Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #309
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
this on your stock ls3 with you driving?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #310
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
this on your stock ls3 with you driving?
Yes... JF intake, stock manifolds, JF HFC's, BW ported TB, on street tires

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363553551.543042.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  88.7 KB

POW!!! Fastest time and mph EV-ER!!!

I'll get on tonight when I get to a computer and discuss some theories and answer some questions that were asked.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 03-17-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #311
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Outstanding!

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #312
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Nice!

Do you have a running log of track times? Along with notes on when you did exhaust mods?
stock= 13.xxx
ptype1=...
ptype2=12.535 (or is this ptyp3?)

And, just for guesses... any idea of how much the times improve due to engine getting 'loose' over time/mileage? I do not know what may be typical there
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #313
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
correct me if im wrong, but isn't the silicone insulation a SLEEVE that goes over the intake tube? that being said, there should be no issues with collapsing.
Sure isn't. The only solid part in the intake is the maf housing.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #314
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
I think the placement of that MAF housing will help make the entire tube more rigid. That aside, the percentage of FI cars is very small compared to NA. If you are going to spend your time and money bringing a product to market you have to target the masses.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #315
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Wouldn't the thickness of the maf section inside the tube disrupt airflow along the edge of the silicone tube when it hits that different diameter edge? Seems to me that the surface inside the tube should be without any obstruction or abrupt diameter change. Just throwing that out there, I don't know airflow dynamics.
In theory, you are correct. However, there isn't an abrupt edge per say from the MAF mount part inside of the silicone tube. It has a pretty nice 1" radius entry. If you look at a Halltech Yellowjacket, it also necks down right around the MAF area. I can only assume this is to correct the readings, but this is just a guess...

I had originally come up with a silicone maf mount that would go outside of the tube, however after thinking about it for quite some time, I realized that on hard acceleration, when the engine moves it could very possible pull on and distort the area the MAF was mounted to, throw off readings etc... Also, when the problem with MAF readings with the last prototype revision arose and I decided to move the MAF into the tube, the problem was the silicone intake tube was a TRUE 4" ID, not like most of the metal tube intakes that it a 4" OD (16 ga wall thickness, 3.87 actual ID)... So just throwing the MAF on the outside of the probably wouldn't help with out a tube, even if the tube was rigid. That's how the magical MAF mount inside the tube came to be. It's 6" long so that ensures that for at least those 6" that the MAF supposedly needs to read correctly, it's solid and won't flex...

Mike, your post also got me thinking, If a guy planned on tuning the car for the intake, I could do the same thing on the outside of the tube, a solid 6" plastic piece that attaches outside the silicone tube would still keep that section of the tube that the MAF needs to read properly without having to neck it down for the stock tune, and have a true 4" ID straight through intake tube for a "Tune Version"...

There were many ways to accomplish what I've done, but this just seemed the most economical. The wheels are still turning, and I'm not done yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Sweet! So how's it running so far? Good idle, etc.?
Seems fine to me, but so did the last attempt that I sent out for independent testing Idles fine. Like normal. No check engine lights.

Quote:
Keep in mind when you produce these, not to advertise them for any kind of supercharged setups. A blower will easily collapse the silicone, and thats a recipe for disaster. N/A you'll have no issues, I like the heat insulated silicone design from that aspect.
I have asked the company making the intake tubes, and in theory, at such a time when I can make the jump to FI, the tubes can be wire reinforced to prevent them from collapsing. Currently they are 5 ply, polyester reinforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Nice!

Do you have a running log of track times? Along with notes on when you did exhaust mods?
stock= 13.xxx
ptype1=...
ptype2=12.535 (or is this ptyp3?)

And, just for guesses... any idea of how much the times improve due to engine getting 'loose' over time/mileage? I do not know what may be typical there
I have a stack of time slips, and I know what was done when... The previous fast time listed in my sig was with intake prototype rev. 2 w/ stock cats and throttle body... The only changes between my previous fast time of 12.85 @ 110.45 are: A set of high flow cats built in house, a Bo White ported throttle body, and I'm now on intake prototype Rev. 3.

Quote:
The airbox/heat shield is made of aluminum, and the lid is poly-carbonate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I think the placement of that MAF housing will help make the entire tube more rigid. That aside, the percentage of FI cars is very small compared to NA. If you are going to spend your time and money bringing a product to market you have to target the masses.
Indeed, Indeed! Start with what sells... If I can successfully get this off the ground, I can move on to FI cars, later as well as the v6 cars and beyond.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #316
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
I'm told that I can pick my prototype piece for the MAF mount up in the morning... It was originally supposed to be done Tuesday, but that didn't work out. But none the less the timing worked out pretty well, as I am leaving tomorrow afternoon going on a road trip north, and plan to hit the Woodburn Dragstip on Sunday for their test and tune. So there will be a variety of road/track testing happening this weekend, fingers crossed the track doesn't get rained out.

In other news, I'm switching companies to have the silicone intake tube pieces made. The original place has always been slow to respond, IF I even got a response at all, and this late in the game, I'm frankly tired of waiting on them and leary of giving them a wad of cash to make the first batch of pieces. I sent off the specs for the pieces on Monday to the new company, and they have been in constant contact and I received the quote today. The nice thing is that the tooling they have can accommodate my pieces and I will not have to pay for new tooling, the down side is that they are a bit more expensive than the original company I was working with led me to believe, but their customer service thus far will be worth it in the end and I don't have the "uneasy" feeling that I had begun to get with the first company. I'm told that the first 2 pieces that I will receive for approval are 2 weeks out to my door, and once I approve production will begin.
It's been 2 weeks. What's the latest status? Inquiring minds want to know!
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #317
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
It's been 2 weeks. What's the latest status? Inquiring minds want to know!
Time flies doesn't it? As of yet, I still have no "production" silicone intake tubes in my hand, which is unfortunately, however, I still need more stuff anyway, so it's not really a set back at the moment.

A mold for the MAF mount piece is currently being designed, and I estimate that should be done, and the "tune version" MAF mounts will start being made before the end of the month... There is also plans for a "tune" version, which essentially mounts the MAF sensor to the outside of the silicone intake tube and allows a straight through 4" ID intake tube rather than necking down to the stock airbox tube size at the MAF for the "no tune". The "tune" version is planned to be sent to the appointed grand prize winner of the "Name that Intake!" contest, which in theory will be retuned and dynoed w/ the Cold Rush intake.

I am going to be pulling the trigger this week on some spankin new equipment that should allow me to produce the velocity stack/Filter clamp piece in house, and hopefully the MAF mounts as well. Also currently planning on purchasing a fairly large powder coating oven and equipment so that the powder coating of all JacFab products can be done in house which will reduce wait times of process.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #318
CoyoteRiverRacing

Drives: 2010 Pace Car
Jason, with your current plans this intake should "grow" in step with power mods and subsequent tube changes?

TIA
CRR
CoyoteRiverRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #319
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
If you look at a Halltech Yellowjacket, it also necks down right around the MAF area. I can only assume this is to correct the readings, but this is just a guess...
This is correct but Jim had it molded into the one piece tube so it could be a smooth transition in and out. There are no sharp edges whatsoever, from the leading edge of the velocity stack to the TB.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #320
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is correct but Jim had it molded into the one piece tube so it could be a smooth transition in and out. There are no sharp edges whatsoever, from the leading edge of the velocity stack to the TB.
There is a slight bump on the leading Halltech. The slight bevel on this MAF section shouldn't be much different, once assembled. There is still the down stream distance and 90 degree bend that would negate the affect of any potential minor turbulence.

She is only memory now.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #321
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Anything new?
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #322
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
In theory, you are correct. However, there isn't an abrupt edge per say from the MAF mount part inside of the silicone tube. It has a pretty nice 1" radius entry. If you look at a Halltech Yellowjacket, it also necks down right around the MAF area. I can only assume this is to correct the readings, but this is just a guess...

I had originally come up with a silicone maf mount that would go outside of the tube, however after thinking about it for quite some time, I realized that on hard acceleration, when the engine moves it could very possible pull on and distort the area the MAF was mounted to, throw off readings etc... Also, when the problem with MAF readings with the last prototype revision arose and I decided to move the MAF into the tube, the problem was the silicone intake tube was a TRUE 4" ID, not like most of the metal tube intakes that it a 4" OD (16 ga wall thickness, 3.87 actual ID)... So just throwing the MAF on the outside of the probably wouldn't help with out a tube, even if the tube was rigid. That's how the magical MAF mount inside the tube came to be. It's 6" long so that ensures that for at least those 6" that the MAF supposedly needs to read correctly, it's solid and won't flex...

Mike, your post also got me thinking, If a guy planned on tuning the car for the intake, I could do the same thing on the outside of the tube, a solid 6" plastic piece that attaches outside the silicone tube would still keep that section of the tube that the MAF needs to read properly without having to neck it down for the stock tune, and have a true 4" ID straight through intake tube for a "Tune Version"...

There were many ways to accomplish what I've done, but this just seemed the most economical. The wheels are still turning, and I'm not done yet.

Seems fine to me, but so did the last attempt that I sent out for independent testing Idles fine. Like normal. No check engine lights.

I have asked the company making the intake tubes, and in theory, at such a time when I can make the jump to FI, the tubes can be wire reinforced to prevent them from collapsing. Currently they are 5 ply, polyester reinforced.

I have a stack of time slips, and I know what was done when... The previous fast time listed in my sig was with intake prototype rev. 2 w/ stock cats and throttle body... The only changes between my previous fast time of 12.85 @ 110.45 are: A set of high flow cats built in house, a Bo White ported throttle body, and I'm now on intake prototype Rev. 3.

The airbox/heat shield is made of aluminum, and the lid is poly-carbonate.

Indeed, Indeed! Start with what sells... If I can successfully get this off the ground, I can move on to FI cars, later as well as the v6 cars and beyond.
was this run done with the stock tune or aftermarket tune?
jonathanmoguel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity