Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #29
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Normal. If you want clean, install hi-flo cats.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #30
NM34DUNN

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
I have hi-flos on mine with headers and tune and still get the same thing. I could clean them after every run (and do so it's easier to keep clean). I always wondered the same thing....why? I'm going to check my CAI filter and it's a 2011 so maybe new plugs?
NM34DUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #31

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The only "problem" is the tips are flared out and soot is noticeable....Every exhaust pipe looks like that on the inside...Quit looking at it, and the problem is solved...

It's like wondering why water is wet.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
My tips are the same with 26,000 miles. Have been like that from the beginning but never thought to talk to the dealer about it. My fuel mileage has never been as good as advertised either though. Maybe a catch can would cut it down but I'd also hate to void my warranty over it.
A catch can won't void your warranty, it does no harm to your engine it only makes it run cleaner. They would have to prove the catch can caused a problem before they could void your engine warranty. If your dealer says it will then find a new dealer.
I've had a catch can on mine for 4 1/2 years and it has never even been mentioned over many service visits.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #33
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Y'all gotta quit burning that pine and alder. Some good oak is best. I find the walnut a little cold, hard to burn and dirty too. Really crusts up the tips. I heard some people over on a car forum had this problem as well. Anyway, always glad to contribute to the Fireplace5 blog.

Smoke em if ya got em!
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #34
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
seems like it happens lots on direct injection engines
5th Gen DI V6 engines are pretty filthy.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
A catch can won't void your warranty, it does no harm to your engine it only makes it run cleaner. They would have to prove the catch can caused a problem before they could void your engine warranty. If your dealer says it will then find a new dealer.
I've had a catch can on mine for 4 1/2 years and it has never even been mentioned over many service visits.
There is a 5th gen forum member that had a warranty claim for his failed oil pump denied because a GM rep was aware that the owner had a catch can. They used the catch can as an excuse with a BS technical explanation. It can be the luck of the draw depending on how/what is reported to GM by the dealer. I also read a thread regarding a 6th gen owner having their warranty voided because of a catch can installed.
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #36
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfopt View Post
There is a 5th gen forum member that had a warranty claim for his failed oil pump denied because a GM rep was aware that the owner had a catch can. They used the catch can as an excuse with a BS technical explanation. It can be the luck of the draw depending on how/what is reported to GM by the dealer. I also read a thread regarding a 6th gen owner having their warranty voided because of a catch can installed.
I agree no mod installed should be assumed to not void warranty. What Angrybird says might be fine if the car winds up at your preferred dealer but if it cacks on the side of the road and goes somewhere else all bets are off.

I'm tuned but I understood my risks before I took the plunge and accepted them.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #37
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
What the dealers will try to get out of warranty work is so ridiculous.

I mean don't some of the models above the SS come with a catch can from the factory?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
According to the law they had to prove how a catch can could cause an oil pump failure then show that the catch can on that car did it.
There have been many instances of oil pump failures and GM knows about it.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72458
I definitely would have made them explain how it caused the problem and put it in writing.
Many people just accept what the dealer says and do not force the issue.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 05-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I agree no mod installed should be assumed to not void warranty. What Angrybird says might be fine if the car winds up at your preferred dealer but if it cacks on the side of the road and goes somewhere else all bets are off.

I'm tuned but I understood my risks before I took the plunge and accepted them.
Tunes are very much different than a catch can.
The burden of proof still falls on the dealer/manufacturer.
BTW there are many threads in Camaro5 explaining this, so I am not making this up.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 05-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #40
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
That forum member made that post and when the questions started to come he disappeared. I can only assume there was more to it than a catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
According to the law they had to prove how a catch can could cause an oil pump failure then show that the catch can on that car did it.
I definitely would have made them explain how it caused the problem and put it in writing.
Many people just accept what the dealer says and do not force the issue.
A catch can is a modification, replacing an OEM filter with an aftermarket filter that meets manufacturer specifications is not.

It would be up to you to prove the modification could not cause an issue, and you can't.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #41
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
That forum member made that post and when the questions started to come he disappeared. I can only assume there was more to it than a catch can.

A catch can is a modification, replacing an OEM filter with an aftermarket filter that meets manufacturer specifications is not.

It would be up to you to prove the modification could not cause an issue, and you can't.
I used to say the same thing that it only applied to service parts. I agree in some cases you cannot prove the mod could cause the problem, but there are many cases where there is no way a particular mod can cause an unrelated part to fail. Any knowledgeable service person would know and be able to prove it.
If what failed is a known issue and you have proof that it is a known issue such as a TSB number it is hard for them to use that excuse.

Here is a good explanationo on the steps you should take if you are denied a warranty claim due to a mod.
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...enied&g=semaga

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 05-06-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #42
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
anytime you burn something, anything, you get carbon. normal. hell, all gasoline is, is 8 carbon atoms bonded together.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote