Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
New to mods, question

Hello all... i've been checking the forums out now for over a year but never joined until yesterday. I was compelled to join because after having my car for a year and a half now i think it's time to start doing some mods!

My question is, is there a certain order to do them in? If so, is there a reason? Also, what can i expect out of doing them? I know potential RWHP gains and all that, but i mean as far as basic day-to-day functionality. Are there any drawbacks that don't get mentioned much?

Anyway, the mods i want to do are: MRT 1.0 Exhaust, Injen or Vararam CAI (not sure which... which is better?), ported TB, plenum spacer, ICE-alator (sp?)... Anything else i should consider?
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Welcome to the addiction I have the MRT V1 and love it, as far as cold air intakes go the new favorite I guess would be the vararam but injen is good too. The intake manifold spacer is a great mod, cools down the manifold while providing good gains RX makes the black ice and carry the 3/8's spacer and the 1' one, the 3/8 has the
Most gains overall and not to leave out Mace and they carry the 6,12,25 spacers as well as the plenum spacer like Rx

Edit: My first mod IMO should've been the catch can. Great mod that helps preventing oil from going into your engine and prolonging your engine's life
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
First mod should be a catch can if you don't already have one.

After that, it depends on what your goals are.

Do you have an auto or manual transmission?

Tells a bit more about your car and what you are trying to do and you will probably get more advice than you care for .
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Forte

I have an Auto and i want my car to be the best it can within reason. I am not going to be some major racer but i want it to sound good and perform well you know? I plan on doing some visual modifications as well (lighting, panel painting and all that) buti want to start with the performance part first.

I forgot about the catch can, yes that is first up for me for sure. Should i get the double and the breather or is it not needed?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Since you are in California, skip the breather...you won't pass inspection.

Sound
-------------
Some will argue, but I think the MRT-2 sounds the best. Look at Ark and Solo as well. Again, becareful and ask the vendor to make sure it will pass inspection in CA.

Performance
---------------
No real HP gain, but the ported throttle body will get rid of the dead spot at lower RPMs.

Shorty headers will give you a bit, but I'm not sure if they are legal in CA (think they are).

Cold air intake gives a nice little bump. Not going to suggest one over another because it just leads to arguements. All seem to provide some nice improvements.

Intake manifold spacer. Our cars get heat soaked easily and this will help quite a bit.

Cams are on the way, but that may be a bit more than you are looking for.

Suspension parts. Looking into trailing arms and differental bushings...you will need them if you replace your tires with something stickier than stock.

Differental. Again, a big one but something to think about. The auto has an open differential which is prone to one-wheel spins. That's a waste of the power you are adding. Not cheap but you get the added benefit of many gear options.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Since you are in California, skip the breather...you won't pass inspection.

Sound
-------------
Some will argue, but I think the MRT-2 sounds the best. Look at Ark and Solo as well. Again, becareful and ask the vendor to make sure it will pass inspection in CA.

Performance
---------------
No real HP gain, but the ported throttle body will get rid of the dead spot at lower RPMs.

Shorty headers will give you a bit, but I'm not sure if they are legal in CA (think they are).

Cold air intake gives a nice little bump. Not going to suggest one over another because it just leads to arguements. All seem to provide some nice improvements.

Intake manifold spacer. Our cars get heat soaked easily and this will help quite a bit.

Cams are on the way, but that may be a bit more than you are looking for.

Suspension parts. Looking into trailing arms and differental bushings...you will need them if you replace your tires with something stickier than stock.

Differental. Again, a big one but something to think about. The auto has an open differential which is prone to one-wheel spins. That's a waste of the power you are adding. Not cheap but you get the added benefit of many gear options.
Thank you very much! That's all very very helpful!

What about the dual chamber thing for the catch can, should I do that or is the single good enough?

After catch can, what would be the first thing you recommend doing? Exhaust?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
The two inlets on to of the catch can is a regular catch can, 3 means for forced induction, and exhaust would be a great second mod
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Adwal99

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT, 2015 Sierra 1500
don't mean to thread jack but by exhaust do you mean catback or headers?
Adwal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Forte

Axle back MRT1.0
Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Thank you very much! That's all very very helpful!

What about the dual chamber thing for the catch can, should I do that or is the single good enough?

After catch can, what would be the first thing you recommend doing? Exhaust?
If you want to go performance (sorta) first I would do the throttle body. If you want sound go with the MRT-1 or MRT-2.