Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
New Cam Lobe Designs by GPI

Here at GPI, we are in constant forward motion. We have taken our hydraulic roller cams to the next level....again! There are several good camshafts out there, from different companies, but we aren't really the kind of people to sit back and get comfortable.

The camshafts will be the same pretty much spec wise, but will feature opening and closing characteristics proprietary to us. Developed in conjunction with Cam Motion.

With the new lobes, there will be a few difference.....

You will notice a little more responsiveness at lower engine speeds, a little better idle vaccum, and obviously the power curve will be a little stronger throughout.

At the same time, caution was taken to not design a lobe that was going to beat the valvetrain to death like some camshafts do.

My goal was the best performing camshafts, 7500 rpm capability, with very good durability, still utilizing the BTR660 springs, and minimal noise in the valvetrain.

We have installed a few here at the shop, have been very very pleased with the results, and will soon be doing a LS3 engine dyno test to further test the camshafts. We will be playing with cam specs on the engine dyno and looking for that last little bit.

The Current SS1-4 3 bolt and VVT lineup have received running changes. GPI/GPX will be on the box if you have a new lobe design.

Really excited about the new designs, and can't wait to help push the Gen5,6, and corvette platforms further in front of the competition!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
NABeastRR

Drives: Camaro
Awesome! whats changed in vvt lineup?
AGP TT build in progress
NABeastRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Rhino79

Well all the lobe profiles have changed, not necessarily the duration numbers at .050 IE random specs here. 219/231 is our SS1VVT. New one will be the same, but the opening and closing ramps of the lobes will be different.

Its not about having the biggest cams, cause honestly the proper valve timing trumps the biggest valve timing events.

Thats why our SS4 VVT needs flycut, because what I want for an intake opening event requires us to flycut.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Wait -- is that Ryan on the forum -- you're not swamped? ;o)

I like the better vacuum @ idle -- I actually added a vacuum pump on mine for those cold startups. Any reason to upgrade? My 'old' design is doing great BTW...

With this new cam design, can you run longer on the valve springs before needing to change them? How long before we need to 'update' the cam (based on miles/usage)?

Don't remember 'when' we should consider changing out the cams -- or is that even necessary?

Thanks!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Wait -- is that Ryan on the forum -- you're not swamped? ;o)

I like the better vacuum @ idle -- I actually added a vacuum pump on mine for those cold startups. Any reason to upgrade? My 'old' design is doing great BTW...

With this new cam design, can you run longer on the valve springs before needing to change them? How long before we need to 'update' the cam (based on miles/usage)?

Don't remember 'when' we should consider changing out the cams -- or is that even necessary?

Thanks!

-Don
All very good questions, I'd like to know this too.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Can't wait for Dyno sheets
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
"LO!..Question...how is the jerk on these new lobe profiles and did you develop them with stock lifters in mind or will they perform better with an after market ones...

I know you all(cam dev) keep cam spec's proprietary but it would be nice to know some of the basic specs like max lift and duration at .50 or at least the general spec's...peace out..and tks!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Sub'ed....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Rhino79

All very good questions guys.

Valve spring interval will be very similar, But frankly we had very very smooth lobes before. These are more aggressive, so I still would want to change them about 15-20k out of habit. Operating conditions will dictate the time ultimately as usual.

They were designed around STOCK lifters and STOCK rockers. They are a little more aggressive than before but they arent so aggressive to create excessive jerk, loft or bounce on the closing.

On the specs, we give out the spec sheet with all the cams.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
When will the changes start? I was about to order a SS3 kit, but want to make sure it the new one lol
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 AM   #11
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Awesome! Can't wait to see some charts. Wanna see how they compare to the Night Fury
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:47 AM   #12
Rhino79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Marine View Post
When will the changes start? I was about to order a SS3 kit, but want to make sure it the new one lol
Started already. All ss3 are new profiles.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #13
Rhino79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see some charts. Wanna see how they compare to the Night Fury
What charts would you like to see. Here are the top times for naturally aspirated gen5 camaros, what cylinder heads and camshaft they used. Dynos vary, but the times don't lie.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #14
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
I have about 1k miles on one of the new cam design's from GPI. I installed heads at the same time as the new cam but I can say that I was shocked with how good it feel's compared to my cam only set-up. I'm trying to get back to the dyno and the track in the next few weeks but as soon as I have some data I will share the results. It's almost night and day difference in acceleration and the pull up top is never ending. The car outruns the factory tach really bad now and with out a shift light 7500 comes really quick with my car with how my car is geared... It's a truly bad ass set-up!