Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Camaro10ss1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
True.

Hydraulic roller valve trains do not establish 'wear patterns' in the way that the old flat-tappet valve trains did. Hydraulic roller lifters aren't imprinted to the old cam.....they are good to go with a new cam.

But like any hard part, they do eventually wear out.....and the 'jury' is still out on when that point is (75K miles? 150K miles? 200K+ miles?) I've seen 300K-mile LT1's that never had a valve train maintenance except new springs. So.....there's that.

The bottom line is, how much are you willing to replace and what are you willing to 'cheap-out' on?

Lifters are one of the last replacements I'd choose to make on a cam swap.....but at some point, you have to do a 'cost/benefit analysis' of what you have and what you can afford and maybe, come to the conclusion that another couple hundred bucks for new lifters beats the he11 out of footin' the bill for a new engine.

KW

Very well said. Honestly it's not the amount of money it costs to replace them it's more so having to do the extra work removing the heads. I looked at the previous link a few posts ahead and it explains how to remove the heads, but is there any special procedure in changing the lifters?
Camaro10ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I put an LS6 cam in my LQ4 engine with LS6 heads at around 90. Now at 155k. Did not swap in new lifters but it certainly would not hurt.

I was going to rebuild it with forged internals, but ended modding the Camaro and have not been able to stop.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I can see keeping the stock lifters and not touching those until you do a set of ported heads.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro10ss1 View Post
Very well said. Honestly it's not the amount of money it costs to replace them it's more so having to do the extra work removing the heads. I looked at the previous link a few posts ahead and it explains how to remove the heads, but is there any special procedure in changing the lifters?
Maybe you didn't read the entire HOW TO guide I posted?

"OPTIONAL CAM SWAP: Now, if you want to do a cam swap, this is the time. Unbolt the plastic pushrod guides from the block and the lifter should come out with them. Set them aside keeping them in the exact same order you pulled them out. Pull the crank pulley, unbolt the timing chain cover, unbolt the cam gear, unbolt the cam retainer plate, then pull out the cam and slide the new one in. For more details on a camswap you can read MBasketts site here:"

There are 8x plastic "lifter trays" that hold the lifters. After you pull the heads off, you will see the Lifter trays at the tops of each cylinder. They are held in by 1x bolt. Take the bolt out and the tray will come out with the lifters attached.

If you're only doing a cam swap and NOT removing the heads, you will need to stick a 5/16" wooden dowel that is longer than the length of the block into the lifter holder opening's in the front of the block. There is 1x per side (2 total) and they will hold the lifters in the 'UP' position as you slide the cam out. After the new cam has been installed in the block, you can remove the dowels.

It's very straight forward. READ THIS to get more familiar with the HOW TO of the cam swap. Minus all the car specific stuff, its a LOT easier to do a cam swap in a 5th gen compared to a 4th gen.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #19
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I put an LS6 cam in my LQ4 engine with LS6 heads at around 90. Now at 155k. Did not swap in new lifters but it certainly would not hurt.

I was going to rebuild it with forged internals, but ended modding the Camaro and have not been able to stop.
Same thing I figure that it wouldn't hurt. I just didn't want to get that deep into it but seems like I don't have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I can see keeping the stock lifters and not touching those until you do a set of ported heads.
Same thing I'm hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
Maybe you didn't read the entire HOW TO guide I posted?

"OPTIONAL CAM SWAP: Now, if you want to do a cam swap, this is the time. Unbolt the plastic pushrod guides from the block and the lifter should come out with them. Set them aside keeping them in the exact same order you pulled them out. Pull the crank pulley, unbolt the timing chain cover, unbolt the cam gear, unbolt the cam retainer plate, then pull out the cam and slide the new one in. For more details on a camswap you can read MBasketts site here:"

There are 8x plastic "lifter trays" that hold the lifters. After you pull the heads off, you will see the Lifter trays at the tops of each cylinder. They are held in by 1x bolt. Take the bolt out and the tray will come out with the lifters attached.

If you're only doing a cam swap and NOT removing the heads, you will need to stick a 5/16" wooden dowel that is longer than the length of the block into the lifter holder opening's in the front of the block. There is 1x per side (2 total) and they will hold the lifters in the 'UP' position as you slide the cam out. After the new cam has been installed in the block, you can remove the dowels.

It's very straight forward. READ THIS to get more familiar with the HOW TO of the cam swap. Minus all the car specific stuff, its a LOT easier to do a cam swap in a 5th gen compared to a 4th gen.
Thank you! I must have overlooked that. I've been doing so much research since I found out I'm going to have to probably change the lifters.

Do both the lifters and trays have to be replaced? How much are they and where do I get them?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
Camaro10ss1

I see it now. The heads come off first to replace the lifters while the cam is still in the car the lifters can't fall? Then once that's done I'd go into doing the cam swap.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #21
Camaro10ss1

This what I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-12499225-...-/271733706162

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-GM-...1788ae&vxp=mtr
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Be sure to change out the timing chain tensioner to an LS2 style dampener. This is a pic of the last motor I pulled apart. After that plastic breaks there is some spring steel that can come out all cause all kinds of problems.
Attached Images

Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
Be sure to change out the timing chain tensioner to an LS2 style dampener. This is a pic of the last motor I pulled apart. After that plastic breaks there is some spring steel that can come out all cause all kinds of problems.
Already have one on the list but thanks for the tip