Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #29
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post

Clear as day to me... etched right on the center near the lugs. NOT FOR STREET USE. We get it hard out here in Cali, trust me, you show up to a meet and some prick truck or mustang does a burnout and your camaro is sitting on a drag pack and hard parked. When the cops roll in, I guarantee they are going to Martyr you for everyone to see.

We are just touching base on drag skinny rims, the drag skinny's market is FULL of track use only Bias Ply tires. So unless the demon has a special set of wheels and tires in their skinny combo its not going to be road legal in this configuration.
Completely different wheel bro. Those are the alumastar 2.0's which are a one piece wheel specifically designed for drag use only. It says right on their website. The wheels I were referring to are the ones on my ride along with many other members, the RTS's which are in fact street legal as said on their website and does not state " not for street use" on the wheel since they are a 3 piece modular wheel. You're not comparing apples to apples here dude. Go check out the website and read it for yourself.

The Demon is perfectly street legal in this configuration as long as they used a DOT approved modular wheel (which I don't see them making a mistake there), and a DOT approved radial front runner like the Mickey Thompsons I have myself. The case where the Demon isn't legal would be taking it to the track and running it in the 9's without a cage, window net and driver safety equipment such as a fire suit. But for the street, perfectly fine if you have the self control to keep your foot out of it. I see your point, cops are going to lose their mind if you're at a meet and some idiot is driving like... an idiot but there's nothing to be said when everything is actually legal. This car still has to pass emissions and safety standards just like every other mass produced car or it would have never made it to market.

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #30
bayarea408

Drives: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
Completely different wheel bro. Those are the alumastar 2.0's which are a one piece wheel specifically designed for drag use only. It says right on their website. The wheels I were referring to are the ones on my ride along with many other members, the RTS's which are in fact street legal as said on their website and does not state " not for street use" on the wheel since they are a 3 piece modular wheel. You're not comparing apples to apples here dude. Go check out the website and read it for yourself.

The Demon is perfectly street legal in this configuration as long as they used a DOT approved modular wheel (which I don't see them making a mistake there), and a DOT approved radial front runner like the Mickey Thompsons I have myself. The case where the Demon isn't legal would be taking it to the track and running it in the 9's without a cage, window net and driver safety equipment such as a fire suit. But for the street, perfectly fine if you have the self control to keep your foot out of it. I see your point, cops are going to lose their mind if you're at a meet and some idiot is driving like... an idiot but there's nothing to be said when everything is actually legal. This car still has to pass emissions and safety standards just like every other mass produced car or it would have never made it to market.

Learn something new everyday, i was under the assumption that ALL front skinny's were not legal for road use. Seems the companies selling them and the market of non dot tire user's sway me to make this assumption. So apparently if you get the "right combo" of skinny wheel and tire its technically ok to street.

so if i bought the weld skinny i posted with a Hoosier non dot tire, its not legal.

If i buy weld RTS skinny rim and dot tires, its Legal?
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #31
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Learn something new everyday, i was under the assumption that ALL front skinny's were not legal for road use. Seems the companies selling them and the market of non dot tire user's sway me to make this assumption. So apparently if you get the "right combo" of skinny wheel and tire its technically ok to street.

so if i bought the weld skinny i posted with a Hoosier non dot tire, its not legal.

Yup!

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:

If it's the same I'm thinking of, yes. I, as well as my brother and his Z06, drive around on our drag-pack, Weld skinnies and Weld rear with DOT MT ET Streets, and DOT fronts. Never pulled over, questioned, bothered. Saves me work when we drive to the dragstrip when we want to go to the strip. Never any concerns when I decide to throw the drag-pack on.

Now, you can't go around turns fast at all cause if you have motion sickness you will get sick. Front of the car wobbles all of the place with these heavy cars. Go in too hard and you'll end up off the road and/or hurt pretty bad. If there is any kind of chance for rain, may as well stay at the house with MT Streets. They literally have 1 water bar about 1/16th wide.

So even though they are DOT approved, there are practical times to use them and then there are suicide attempts.

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW1990 View Post
If it's the same I'm thinking of, yes. I, as well as my brother and his Z06, drive around on our drag-pack, Weld skinnies and Weld rear with DOT MT ET Streets, and DOT fronts. Never pulled over, questioned, bothered. Saves me work when we drive to the dragstrip when we want to go to the strip. Never any concerns when I decide to throw the drag-pack on.

Now, you can't go around turns fast at all cause if you have motion sickness you will get sick. Front of the car wobbles all of the place with these heavy cars. Go in too hard and you'll end up off the road and/or hurt pretty bad. If there is any kind of chance for rain, may as well stay at the house with MT Streets. They literally have 1 water bar about 1/16th wide.

So even though they are DOT approved, there are practical times to use them and then there are suicide attempts.
Here is our cars with which I speak.
Attached Images

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #34
bayarea408

Drives: T
awesome setup's
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #35
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I'm still waiting to hear how the car with 1000hp stands no change against the one with 840hp.
Because all they apparently did was put 1000 HP into the car.

Unless they also did a bunch of suspension work... which I am guessing they did not... good luck launching it. The ZL1 suspension is not designed for weight transfer so, with that much power, traction is going to be hard to come by. It will be very difficult to drive.

The Demon, on the other hand, dead hooks and launches HARD. Dodge's engineers set it up specifically for drag racing and did a damn fine job of it.

Once the ZL1 finds traction it should trap pretty high but the race will probably have been over after 60 feet or so.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #36
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
For fυκs sakes, it does wheelies right out of the box, built/assembled on a mass produced, Challlenger assembly line.

'Nuff sed.

Would I trade Sledge in for one? Nope.

Would I like to have one in my garage as part of a collection? Absolutely.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #37
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I like the Demon and think it's great that Dodge did this. It raises the bar. This is a great time to live with all these new modern muscle cars out there. After a 35 year lull be glad muscle cars are back better than ever !!! Dodge deserves credit for what they have done.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #38
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
... Hellcat.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ws&date=042517

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 AM   #39
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Well NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will surpass the Demon. No production car with runlet 9s or hight 8s. Just not enough money in it and enthusiasm in it. I think they're a bit late to the game. Drag racing is taking a bad seat approach to track cars. I guess Dodge just wants to be king of something while Chevrolet and Ford decided to take on the world (mores with Chevy) in their track packs Like Z/28, ZL-1 and 1LEs

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #40
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Well NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will surpass the Demon. No production car with runlet 9s or hight 8s. Just not enough money in it and enthusiasm in it. I think they're a bit late to the game. Drag racing is taking a bad seat approach to track cars. I guess Dodge just wants to be king of something while Chevrolet and Ford decided to take on the world (mores with Chevy) in their track packs Like Z/28, ZL-1 and 1LEs
I agree...king of something perhaps...

But what would that Vin Diesel_Dominic Teretto dude have to say about all this?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #41
15SSRS

Drives: 2015 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Well said. The demon is cool and all, but 125k for straight-line performance that is banned at the drag strip just doesn't make any sense. Aside from "street cred" what would be the point of owning one?
15SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #42
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15SSRS View Post
Well said. The demon is cool and all, but 125k for straight-line performance that is banned at the drag strip just doesn't make any sense. Aside from "street cred" what would be the point of owning one?
Where are you getting 125k? Also all you need is a roll cage and window net for it to be legal on the drag strip.
I'm not arguing that I want one.