Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Fassted

Drives: Imperial blue 2010 2ss
Clutch pedal issue

under heavy acceleration at higher speeds the clutch pedal sucks towards the floor. Still can disengage and engage the clutch but the travel isn't all there. I have to physically pull it back up with my foot. I'm at 808 whp on 8psi of boost. Have a McCleod RXT twin disc installed with brand new slave, separate clutch resevoir, using Motul RBF 600 dot 4 fluid. I was told possibly the spring or the master but not sure I want to remove the spring and leave it out. Can anyone help me out?
Fassted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Did you install a billet bearing support on the slave cylinder?
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
you've done most of the fixes already, however as Larry said a billet bearing support on the slave will go a long way, but IMO the last thing you're missing is the Tick Master Cylinder for our car. that's what finally stopped my pedal issues. also i'd say bleed your clutch and get some fresh DOT4 fluid in there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...4-17-chevy-ss/

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
larry_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
you've done most of the fixes already, however as Larry said a billet bearing support on the slave will go a long way, but IMO the last thing you're missing is the Tick Master Cylinder for our car. that's what finally stopped my pedal issues. also i'd say bleed your clutch and get some fresh DOT4 fluid in there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...4-17-chevy-ss/
I might have to try that master...
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
What is the reason for using dot 4. My car calls for dot 3.

Also, I had a tick master cylinder from the pre order run and it didn't make it 5k miles. I kept losing adjustment and when I replaced the clutch system it did not build enough pressure to release the clutch. Switched back to new gm original equipment master cylinder and problem was gone.
fz4k98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
I might have to try that master...
i've had mine for over a year installed with zero issues, you won't regret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
What is the reason for using dot 4. My car calls for dot 3.

Also, I had a tick master cylinder from the pre order run and it didn't make it 5k miles. I kept losing adjustment and when I replaced the clutch system it did not build enough pressure to release the clutch. Switched back to new gm original equipment master cylinder and problem was gone.
from what i remember Tick had a revision to their master cylinder design sometime last year, that may be the reason why yours had issues. you may want to contact them for a factory replacement.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
i've had mine for over a year installed with zero issues, you won't regret it

from what i remember Tick had a revision to their master cylinder design sometime last year, that may be the reason why yours had issues. you may want to contact them for a factory replacement.
Thanks for the feedback about the issue and suggestion to contact them. I did not purchase the extended rebuild warranty offered and was not impressed with the performance over the stock unit. I purchased it based on the improved shifting for the 2nd gear issue which it did not help. After the warranty period it became weaker and weaker and I kept adjusting for more pedal.

I'm glad yours works well for you. As with most products, some people are happy and some are not. I would think that a company testing out the design on their 1st generation of product would contact the 1st generation customers to see if they needed assistance with the identified flaw
fz4k98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
porkrind
Unapologetically American

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Did you install a billet bearing support on the slave cylinder?
What are the observed symptoms if the stock bearing support fails?
Curious, because I get a noise when releasing the clutch pedal...like a fluttery bouncing piece of metal. Also I get a knocking sound as the RPMs increase. I'm wondering if this is due to that support going bad. 2010 Camaro SS LS3 w/ 25,000 miles on it.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
larry_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
What are the observed symptoms if the stock bearing support fails?
Curious, because I get a noise when releasing the clutch pedal...like a fluttery bouncing piece of metal. Also I get a knocking sound as the RPMs increase. I'm wondering if this is due to that support going bad. 2010 Camaro SS LS3 w/ 25,000 miles on it.
I haven't experienced the failure myself but the stock bearing support is plastic and can melt/deform causing the clutch to not completely release. The original throwout bearing was loose and wobbly even though the support looked ok, kinda surprised it wasn't louder but probably hard to hear over the exhaust.

I didn't want to take any chances while I had everything apart so I installed a new slave cylinder with the billet support, new bearing, and a remote bleeder.