Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
The other day, someone mentioned laying a towel over the top before putting the tonneau cover on. Probably wouldn't help with the side marks, but might help with the rib marks the OP talked about. I haven't noticed the rib marks on mine, but then I don't often put my tonneau cover on.
Not a bad idea. I might start doing that, It might actually help hold the boot cover on also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdec141c View Post
I've got the marks too. The right side actually looks like it will make a hole over time. The driver side just looks like it is pressing against a brace.
Yeah, my right side seems much worse that my left side.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Welcome to the world of the vert. I've own two and both tops didn't hold up well. I was hoping to hear that the camaro was different ,but it sounds like they're just like the rest.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Welcome to the world of the vert. I've own two and both tops didn't hold up well. I was hoping to here that the camaro was different ,but it sounds like their just like the rest.
My 95 Z28 top was perfect.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Perhaps a thread on the care and feeding of a convertible top is in order. Any experts out there want to share their wisdom?

Tib
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
+1 on the passenger side significantly worse than the driver side...
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
cj7ngolf

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Convert
I have one small spot on passenger side, but it looks like it will wear thru. Driver side has 2 circles about 4 inches behind first bow... anyone know if this is just an adjustment thing?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #21
Lunatic

Drives: 80 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
Can the fabric be brushed out with a stiff brush to eliminate the marks?

Looking at the last photo, there sure seems to be a lot of loose, loopy threads in the top, too.
Lmao at your avatar! I was about to kill the bug! Hahaha you got me.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #22
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
You can always dye it black again......

DIY: Convertible Top Dye

If you own a convertible and spend a lot of time with the top in the up position, where it is subject to bright sunlight, rain and other elements, it's probably looking a bit faded. Installing a new top is always an option, but if your existing top is not torn and is structurally sound, then buying a new one might just be a waste of money. Dyeing a top is an option that many convertible car owners have taken advantage of.

1. Reasons for Dyeing a Top
    • There are a couple of reasons that one might want to consider dyeing a convertible top. The most common reason is that the material that the top is made of has faded or become dirty from years of being exposed to the elements. A faded convertible top can detract greatly from your car's appearance. Dyeing the top instantly transforms it.
      The other reason for dyeing a top is to alter the appearance of your vehicle. Suppose you own a vintage sports car with a nice tan top, but you don't like the color and think it would look better in black or even a darker brown. You can dye the top a different color and, in the process, drastically alter the appearance of your vehicle. Just keep in mind that you cannot dye a darker color to a lighter color, but it is relatively easy to dye a lighter colored top to a darker color.

Types of Dye
    • There are several companies that offer dye for convertible tops. One of the criteria for deciding which type of dye to use is what material your top is made of. Most tops are made of either vinyl or cloth, with vinyl being more common and inexpensive. Both of these types of tops can be dyed with the proper approach and materials. If you have a vinyl top, then try Black-Top dye from Forever Black (see Resources section) For fabric tops, use a fabric dye like the kind that Rit makes (see Resources section).

How to Dye a Top
    • The first step in dyeing your convertible top is to clean it thoroughly. Use a mild soap and water. Soak the top with water and then scrub the top with a soft bristle brush that has been dipped in the soap and water, cleaning the entire surface of the top as thoroughly as possible. Once the top is cleaned, let it dry overnight or in sunlight.
      Apply the top dye with a paint brush, starting in the middle and brushing it on evenly and in one direction onto the entire surface of the top. You may need to apply three or four coats to get complete and thorough coverage. When you dye your top, make sure that you mask off any of the areas near the car to avoid getting dye on them, and wear old clothes that you don't mind getting dye on. Be sure that you leave the top in the up position for a few days after you dye it to ensure that the dye cures and fully soaks into the top.

CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #23
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
The other day, someone mentioned laying a towel over the top before putting the tonneau cover on. Probably wouldn't help with the side marks, but might help with the rib marks the OP talked about. I haven't noticed the rib marks on mine, but then I don't often put my tonneau cover on.
I'm considering putting black felt on the underside of my tonneau cover....
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
gaddied

Drives: camaro
On my 95 C4 vette I use a large beach towel between folds. It keeps the wear down.
As you guys will find out cloth tops really suck for wear and being clean. The worst is lent and those fuzzy things from trees. Go and buy a lent roller for coats these work great! I wish Chev would have done them in vinyl.

gaddied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Geez I was considering a Vert this summer but after reading this thread I may just forget about it. Yikes
Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
12cyljohn

Drives: convertible order cancelled
This must be your first convertible? Do you take your pants back to Walmart when they become wrinkled and dirty from wearing them? There are some excellent cleaners and conditioners for convertible tops, especially from M-B and BMW. Seam re-sealing is also a regular requirement on a cloth top, and there a number of vendors for new tops, for a reason.
12cyljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12cyljohn View Post
This must be your first convertible? Do you take your pants back to Walmart when they become wrinkled and dirty from wearing them? There are some excellent cleaners and conditioners for convertible tops, especially from M-B and BMW. Seam re-sealing is also a regular requirement on a cloth top, and there a number of vendors for new tops, for a reason.
the guy has had the car for 3 months max. there is no reason he should have to do anything or reapir his top. maybe gm just made crappy tops. i understand what you are saying but there is no way he should need to reseal the seams already. there are some on these forums that have only had their car for a week or two with the same problems.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #28
gaddied

Drives: camaro
There is nothing wrong with cloth tops as long as you keep it clean and use a conditioner. And always put it up when your parked over night. I have owned several verts over the years. A conditioner will help keep it some what cleaner. I don't think Chevy use's a conditioner on their new tops. Do they?
Cloth tops do wear faster than vinyl.
My 95 corvette cloth top has wear marks but they haven't went through the cloth. Thats 16 years of rubbing!

Last edited by gaddied; 04-25-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add
gaddied is offline   Reply With Quote