Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Kw3 coilover issue or tires?

Also posted in the tire section. Not sure if it’s tires or coilovers but should be tires since didn’t have issue until I switched.

Ran a toyo 275/40/20 on the front and it fit fine (website says its 10.6” wide). Switched to a Nitto 555 G2 275/40/20 and it rubs on the sidewalk over bumps on the front driver but not front passenger side. Visually it appears the front driver sticks out just a bit more.

Ive tried two different 555g2s, adjusted my coilovers height on driver side, adjusted rebound and compression. I’m out of ideas other than throw them out and go to a “narrower” 275/40/20. Anyone have any suggestions what to look at before I pull trigger on new tires?
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Also posted in the tire section. Not sure if it’s tires or coilovers but should be tires since didn’t have issue until I switched.

Ran a toyo 275/40/20 on the front and it fit fine (website says its 10.6” wide). Switched to a Nitto 555 G2 275/40/20 and it rubs on the sidewalk over bumps on the front driver but not front passenger side. Visually it appears the front driver sticks out just a bit more.

Ive tried two different 555g2s, adjusted my coilovers height on driver side, adjusted rebound and compression. I’m out of ideas other than throw them out and go to a “narrower” 275/40/20. Anyone have any suggestions what to look at before I pull trigger on new tires?
Rubbing on coilover or fender ? Did the tire come with that built in fat rim protector like michelins do? Also to much negative camber can do that if coilover is a large diameter. And does your wheel have enough offset?
When I ran stock 275/40 it was on stock 2ox9 wheels but no coilovers. 10.6 wide rim seems to wide for that tire, that’s the size you use for a 295/35/30.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Roader

To be more clear here is additional info

- The fender is rubbing the tire (I’ll get a pic later)
- Wheels are aftermarket and have been on car for 10 years. Never an issue until I put on nittos
- the Toyos tires are 10.6” wide per specs I found on their website. 555g2 is 10.9”
- Wheels are 20x9 in front

I’m down to it’s either the tires or the alignment. Just frustrated after everything I tried not working so far. Really don’t want to roll the fenders but may go that route as well
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
To be more clear here is additional info

- The fender is rubbing the tire (I’ll get a pic later)
- Wheels are aftermarket and have been on car for 10 years. Never an issue until I put on nittos
- the Toyos tires are 10.6” wide per specs I found on their website. 555g2 is 10.9”
- Wheels are 20x9 in front

I’m down to it’s either the tires or the alignment. Just frustrated after everything I tried not working so far. Really don’t want to roll the fenders but may go that route as well
I had same issue when I went from Pedders to Ridetechs. Ridetechs, and dse from what I hear are bigger diameter. I couldn’t run 295 up front, wheels 10.5” wide with 20 offset that I had. Only could get -1 degrees camber. Cut tire on fender. I had to go to 285/35 and a 5mm spacer to get -2.5 camber. Not same I know, but same issue.

Well only constant is the wheel size.I don’t know your alignment, but do nittos run wide and or have a bigger rim protector? Do Toyos run narrow as to size states? The Nitto Invos I had sure did. And the other variable is obviously the coilovers. Did alignment shop check theirwork since it rubs? or seeing they had to stay away from coilover, like what happened to me, that’s best they could do
Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
Roader

I’ve read nitto runs narrow but I’m thinking that the toyos run very narrow. I’m going to get the alignment checked out and change out the tires. Will put skinnies on it until then

Thanks for insight. Just frustrating and needed to vent really.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
I’ve read nitto runs narrow but I’m thinking that the toyos run very narrow. I’m going to get the alignment checked out and change out the tires. Will put skinnies on it until then

Thanks for insight. Just frustrating and needed to vent really.
I hear you. I was to. And the Ridetechs have a camber plate to get more negative camber. I put in the more, race setting and still did it before I changed to a narrower tire.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
Roader

Resolved the issue. I’m assuming the alignment was ok but the Nitto tires are .3” wider which most likely caused the small rub.

I had the car realigned and added some Negative camber since it was set close to 0 due to me running skinnies previously. I put the street wheels back on and will Enjoy the car for the summer Since I just moved. Will have to look back into it this fall when race season starts and skinnies go back on.