Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #30
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
The ZL1 is light years ahead of the SS. Don't let the SS crowd fool you. Just adding a supercharger to a SS doesn't cut it even close to a ZL1.

Having owned both, I completely agree.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #31
49ersXXIX
Take me back to 1994

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS SUMMIT WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
hmm.... interesting
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Someone forgot to put the supercharger in that zl1
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #33
49ersXXIX
Take me back to 1994

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS SUMMIT WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Someone forgot to put the supercharger in that zl1
lol that's what i was thinking
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #34
pbretelson

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to pbretelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateish View Post
When I was shopping for my Camaro, I test drove SS V8s and LT V6s. The difference was negligible to me. Not worth 7 grand.

A ZL1 on the other hand, would probably blow me away.
I also test drove a V6 and a V8 before buying the SS. The difference was night and day as far as acceleration. Cannot believe you could hardly tell a difference.
pbretelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #35
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I owned aSS before my ZL1, and the two feel totally different. The rear gears are different giving the cars a different feel when rowing through the gears (mine were all manual)

Also the ZL1 feels lighter than the SS, I'm guessing thats the mag ride during daily driving.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #36
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
My opinion would be get the SS, spend 10k on a bike that can blow away a ZL1, and 10k on a truck to get things done.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Keep hearing that its worth it for a ZL1 if you can afford the extra $15 to $20K over the SS.

I guess if your wanting to maintain a full warrantee, that is the way to go but your paying a lot for warrantee just to get an extra 160 HP.

Buy a new SS with the LS3, put $10K or less into a proven supercharger kit with good tune and you could easily be in the 650 hp range and put the other $5 to $10 in the bank or save it in case something breaks.

I drove a new ZL1 the other day and while it was nice, it did not have nearly the get up an go that my supercharged SS has. Now, there are a lot of reasons for that and one being that the torque management system is turned off on my car but there was no comparision between the two in my opinion, hell for an additional $20K, you could supercharge or TT and still upgrade the rear end, axles and get some serious grunt!!!

Again, if you want to keep a full warrantee and that is important to you, get the ZL1. In my opinion, extended warrantees are a waste of time and money anyway, especially on a car like this that most of us mod anyway.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #38
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I owned aSS before my ZL1, and the two feel totally different. The rear gears are different giving the cars a different feel when rowing through the gears (mine were all manual)

Also the ZL1 feels lighter than the SS, I'm guessing thats the mag ride during daily driving.
The lighter feel is the added HP. My SS felt MUCH lighter when I supercharged it, felt even lighter then that when I put in the 3.91 gears. Not sure how the mag. suspension would make it feel lighter but may make it feel more responsive so I guess could give the impression of being lighter I guess.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #39
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Also, putting new gears in the SS makes a hell of a difference.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #40
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Keep hearing that its worth it for a ZL1 if you can afford the extra $15 to $20K over the SS.

I guess if your wanting to maintain a full warrantee, that is the way to go but your paying a lot for warrantee just to get an extra 160 HP.

Buy a new SS with the LS3, put $10K or less into a proven supercharger kit with good tune and you could easily be in the 650 hp range and put the other $5 to $10 in the bank or save it in case something breaks.

I drove a new ZL1 the other day and while it was nice, it did not have nearly the get up an go that my supercharged SS has. Now, there are a lot of reasons for that and one being that the torque management system is turned off on my car but there was no comparision between the two in my opinion, hell for an additional $20K, you could supercharge or TT and still upgrade the rear end, axles and get some serious grunt!!!

Again, if you want to keep a full warrantee and that is important to you, get the ZL1. In my opinion, extended warrantees are a waste of time and money anyway, especially on a car like this that most of us mod anyway.
Totally agree.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #41
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

Go ahead and get a loaded out 2SS/RS (that's what a base ZL1 is) now add your $10k on top of that for the power and now you are at the base price of a ZL1 ... With no warranty
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #42
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Why do people hate on the fact that someone would rather spend more money for a stock race car than Mod one out. I do not like doing things that void my warranty. I like the fact I can get in my car and drive and do not have to worry about if things were done right. If you want a Z and can afford it than get it. If you want an SS than it is a great car. Either way enjoy your car.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote