Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Try SunTek PPF-C
Crystal clear and self healing!
It's amazing and no yellowing so far and I've heard there is no chance either.
5 year warranty if it does!
I did most of my car, just not the roof, truck, and rear end. (See below)

When I get home from the track, I use a little Mothers R3 rubber remover and wash like normal. Looks brand new every time and instead of wax, you can use Plexus plastic polish and it's gets even shinier and smoother! I wish I had done the entire car due to the no maintenance of the paint after application.

I also did the large rock guards from ZL1 add-ons
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #16
TurboRegal84

Drives: 2010 Corvette ZR1 & 1987 Buick GNX
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
I remove mine with the water hose when I am doing the post race wash. Peels off easily when blasted with the hose, I also use a plastic razor blade to get it out of any tight gaps.
I have used it on long drives and at the track. Works really well and the thicker you put it on the better. One quart went a long way...only used 1/3 of it to cover the front of the car, mirror caps, and behind the wheels. Sure beats scrubbing bug guts and rubber marks off the paint.
TurboRegal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Can you give me a contact of who did your XPEL install? I am looking for someone in S. CAl.

Thanks
"Valley Clear Bra" in Chatsworth; Dan Gill is the owner and installer. He does all the work himself. He is an excellent installer. I am very happy with his work. You can find his reviews on Yelp and see his videos on youtube.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
Does anyone know if you can use RoadWarriorPlus over the top of any of the clear bras? Will it damage the clear bra or leave a residue? Im only asking because X-pel and some of the other brand names are very expensive to have installed and whats the point if they get damaged on the track which I already know they do. Sure the paint is fine underneath but the clear bra looks like hell after a couple of track days and the manufacturer or the installer doesn't warranty that type of damage.
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeZ28 View Post
Does anyone know if you can use RoadWarriorPlus over the top of any of the clear bras? Will it damage the clear bra or leave a residue? Im only asking because X-pel and some of the other brand names are very expensive to have installed and whats the point if they get damaged on the track which I already know they do. Sure the paint is fine underneath but the clear bra looks like hell after a couple of track days and the manufacturer or the installer doesn't warranty that type of damage.
I have never tried it over a protective plastic film. Shoot them a email??
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
TurboRegal84

Drives: 2010 Corvette ZR1 & 1987 Buick GNX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeZ28 View Post

It works over clear bras and vinyl. It will try to bead but just throw another coat on it.
TurboRegal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
"Valley Clear Bra" in Chatsworth; Dan Gill is the owner and installer. He does all the work himself. He is an excellent installer. I am very happy with his work. You can find his reviews on Yelp and see his videos on youtube.
Thanks
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #22
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Man up. Them's called road scars. Chicks dig scars.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #23
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRegal84 View Post
It works over clear bras and vinyl. It will try to bead but just throw another coat on it.
I'm an industrial chemist by trade, so from the looks on application this product this either a super hydrolyzed polyvinyl alcohol, that a base for making coldest glue..or its a war border PVC -polyvinyl chloride..those are used to make removable barriers for paint booths.

Neither of these will dissolve or damage the PET - polyethylene terephthalate film that is the base film for the clear bras..

Again, I like blue painters tape, as its easy to remove.by definition its got low gram strength glue - less than 40 grams/in-oz - so its easy to remove; and it gives a strong barrier to the grime and gunk that you sandblast the paint and exterior with. The extra thickness of the paper type product gives better protection against the small pebbles you broadcast not your paint that a brush or roller applied product.

Whichever you use, I'd suggest using a feast application of wax on the area to be protected, just before application..which will make release easier. You could even pray and buff out a thin layer of armorall after the wax. Just be aware on the water based roller applied products that you'll have more than one application to get a smooth film, as the armorall will make it harder to wet evenly..which is the same reason that its easier to remove.

Finally one point, someone said those films will peel in th train..quite true...if they are water soluble - which they are by nature..then once they stat the dissolution process, they undercut from th edges pretty quickly. If it was may product, I'd use a super hydrolyzed grade; it would be harder to get into water - since it only dissolves in hot water...then again some folks have more experience in designing products than others...thats what OI've done all my life designing products or applying them on a high speed coating lines.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #24
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRegal84 View Post
I'm an industrial chemist by trade, so from the looks on application this product this either a super hydrolyzed polyvinyl alcohol, that a base for making cold-set white (Elmers type) glue..or its a water based PVC type - polyvinyl chloride..those are used to make removable barriers for paint booths.

Neither of these will dissolve or damage the PET - polyethylene terephthalate film that is the base film for the clear bras..

Again, I like blue painters tape, as its easy to remove.by definition its got low gram strength glue - less than 40 grams/in-oz - so its easy to remove; and it gives a stronger (thicker!!) barrier to the grime and gunk that you sandblast the paint and exterior with. The extra thickness of the paper type product gives better protection against the small pebbles you broadcast not your paint that a brush or roller applied product. The thicker the barrier the better the hydraulic cushioning on a small pebble hitting a film surface. Thats they Xpel Ultimate at 8.5 mils works better than their older 3 mil products.

Whichever you use, I'd suggest using a fresh application of wax on the area to be protected, just before application..which will make release easier. You could even spray and buff out a thin layer of armorall after the wax. Just be aware on the water based roller applied products that you'll have more than one application to get a smooth film, as the armorall will make it harder to wet evenly....ie it will bead...which is the same reason that its easier to remove.

Finally one point, someone said those films will peel in the rain..quite true...if they are water soluble - which they are by nature..then once they stat the dissolution process, they undercut from th edges pretty quickly. If it was my product, I'd use a super hydrolyzed grade; it would be harder to get into water - since it only dissolves in hot water...then again some folks have more experience in designing products than others...thats what I've done all my life designing products or applying them on a high speed coating lines.

With either the roller applied product or painters tape over the clear bras - be careful at the edges, not to pull back towards the middle of the film; as you could peel it up..especially in the summer. The best way to remove anything over a clear bra..peel off from the middle towards the outer edge, that way you can never peel it up. The bulk strength of the adhesive on the clear film works in your favor then.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Trakktape on the front end and gills. Peels right off when done. Never had any issues with it. Takes about 45 mins to do a good job but a helper makes it go faster and look better.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #26
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Trakktape on the front end and gills. Peels right off when done. Never had any issues with it. Takes about 45 mins to do a good job but a helper makes it go faster and look better.
Ditto, this is what I use also...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #27
Road Warrior Plus

Drives: 2011 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
Again, I like blue painters tape, as its easy to remove.by definition its got low gram strength glue - less than 40 grams/in-oz - so its easy to remove; and it gives a stronger (thicker!!) barrier to the grime and gunk that you sandblast the paint and exterior with. The extra thickness of the paper type product gives better protection against the small pebbles you broadcast not your paint that a brush or roller applied product. The thicker the barrier the better the hydraulic cushioning on a small pebble hitting a film surface. Thats they Xpel Ultimate at 8.5 mils works better than their older 3 mil products.
We really appreciate being included in this thread and the comments.

There are several choices on the market and we are aiming to provide a easy temporary solution. The requirement for a thick coating that provides a protective barrier all while being affordable and easy to install/remove isn't the easiest to achieve. Achieving the before mentioned while not making the car look goofy makes it even harder. Our product has been around for 8 years but little marketing has been done. Many manufactures have used it for temporary paint protection and we are excited that enthusiasts are starting to find out about it.

2 coats of Road Warrior Plus creates a 8-10mil layer of protection. Once dry it creates a hard film which creates more cushioning strength than a paper product. Most customers put larger bead on the edges which allows for easy removal in one sheet. The thicker the application the easier it is to remove.

Our product is water based and it can withstand short term exposure to water. We have taken it through automatic car washes and rain showers, during both of which it held up well with water beading off. With prolonged exposure to water it will turn white and soften but just like initial application it will dry clear.

We want to respect forum rules but wanted to be sure all information was being made available.
Road Warrior Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #28
D2M

Drives: Z/28
I got caught in a monsoon rain storm on my way back from the track last summer with Road Warrior installed. Only a small portion had peeled off the front and some small areas on the quarter panels. I had another event the next day and did not reapply or repair, went as it was, all was good.
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote