Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Jimmy Superfly

Drives: 2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6
Thumbs up New mods put to the test: Thanks Tracy, RX and CAI Inc

From the moment I picked up my L99 Camaro I have had this voice in the back of my head reminding me that I was "missing" 26hp by not having an LS3. I immediately started searching on these forums for ways to "make-up" about 26hp without throwing away my factory warranty.

Through all of my research I came to 2 conclusions. I needed to get a VMAX ported TB from Tracy at RX performance, and I needed to pick up a CAI from Cold Air Inductions Inc. Tracy and the fine people at RX where able to help me get my hands on both.

There are plenty of threads here and in the V6 forums where people rave about their VMAX TB's but I wasn't sure just how good it really was. Because it arrived in the mail so quick I was actually able to install mine and drive around with it for a few weeks before the CAI showed up. I immediately noticed a difference in performance and in driveability. My car became much more responsive at lower rpm which actually made it easier to drive around town.

My CAI kit from Cold Air Inductions arrived this past Thursday, quite literally the day before I was about to take my car to the track for the first time. A friend and I installed the kit together in about 40 minutes. Now that we understand how to install it we could probably do it again in 15 minutes if we had too. Thanks to that thread that compared all the CAI kits I had an idea of how much power I might gain, but I had no idea how much the CAI would change the sound of my car. Under 3K RPM it sounds about the same as stock (not a bad thing when you still have AFM) but once you get to 3K it sounds unbelievably muscular and distinctively 'Old School'. When it comes to both sound and power this kit allows my car to be quiet and refined when I need it to be, but it packs a noticeable punch when I put the pedal to the metal.

On Friday I had my car up at a nearby racetrack that had both its drag strip and short road course open all night. The marshals couldn't figure out why I kept wanting to lap the road course instead of hitting the strip. The truth is I was having way too much fun thundering down the back straight and powering out of tight corners. Compared to the other cars there (Cayman, FRS, Impreza, G35 and a few civics) my car sounded like it was straight out of Mad Max. By the end of the day the Cayman and I were posting near Identical lap times.

These two mods both provided exactly the sort of performance gains I was expecting from them and then some. I haven't had the car on a dyno to see how much of the 26hp I made up, but even then I would still consider myself a very satisfied customer.

Thanks Tracy, RX and CAI Inc!

Of course this thread would be worthless without pics...

Here is a crappy cellphone pic of the CAI

And here is my Camaro in her natural habitat

I will try and upload some of my videos this week.

2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6 - JDP JLS Performance - Brembo Ridetech DSE
BMR Prothane Spohn Hawk BTR LG CAI Michelin
Jimmy Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You couldn't have made a better choice. CAI Inc and RX are top notch in all regards and that is why we are proud to have a close relationship with them and carry both of their product lines.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Cool! Glad to hear you are enjoying your car!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Superfly View Post
From the moment I picked up my L99 Camaro I have had this voice in the back of my head reminding me that I was "missing" 26hp by not having an LS3. I immediately started searching on these forums for ways to "make-up" about 26hp without throwing away my factory warranty.

Through all of my research I came to 2 conclusions. I needed to get a VMAX ported TB from Tracy at RX performance, and I needed to pick up a CAI from Cold Air Inductions Inc. Tracy and the fine people at RX where able to help me get my hands on both.

There are plenty of threads here and in the V6 forums where people rave about their VMAX TB's but I wasn't sure just how good it really was. Because it arrived in the mail so quick I was actually able to install mine and drive around with it for a few weeks before the CAI showed up. I immediately noticed a difference in performance and in driveability. My car became much more responsive at lower rpm which actually made it easier to drive around town.

My CAI kit from Cold Air Inductions arrived this past Thursday, quite literally the day before I was about to take my car to the track for the first time. A friend and I installed the kit together in about 40 minutes. Now that we understand how to install it we could probably do it again in 15 minutes if we had too. Thanks to that thread that compared all the CAI kits I had an idea of how much power I might gain, but I had no idea how much the CAI would change the sound of my car. Under 3K RPM it sounds about the same as stock (not a bad thing when you still have AFM) but once you get to 3K it sounds unbelievably muscular and distinctively 'Old School'. When it comes to both sound and power this kit allows my car to be quiet and refined when I need it to be, but it packs a noticeable punch when I put the pedal to the metal.

On Friday I had my car up at a nearby racetrack that had both its drag strip and short road course open all night. The marshals couldn't figure out why I kept wanting to lap the road course instead of hitting the strip. The truth is I was having way too much fun thundering down the back straight and powering out of tight corners. Compared to the other cars there (Cayman, FRS, Impreza, G35 and a few civics) my car sounded like it was straight out of Mad Max. By the end of the day the Cayman and I were posting near Identical lap times.

These two mods both provided exactly the sort of performance gains I was expecting from them and then some. I haven't had the car on a dyno to see how much of the 26hp I made up, but even then I would still consider myself a very satisfied customer.

Thanks Tracy, RX and CAI Inc!

Of course this thread would be worthless without pics...

Here is a crappy cellphone pic of the CAI

And here is my Camaro in her natural habitat

I will try and upload some of my videos this week.
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! Glad to hear you are happy!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai inc, rx performance, track day, vmax