Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
TheAviator

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro 1LT
XM satellite radio question

I bought my car slightly used. It has the satellite XM radio system. Its still on, but I hear you have to have a subscription. I'm wondering if the previous owner purchased a full year subscription or if the first year is still on it. I guess it will say when it runs out right? Also, will I have to give XM the VIN number to reactivate it once I have to get my own subscription? Or how do they know which car to turn it back on?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
The car has a radio ID# tied to it. Not sure how the notifications will come...to previous owner or you, since ownership has been transferred. You may want to call them, give them the VIN and see what's going on. Maybe see if your dealer knows anything first.

Some people don't think it's worth it, but there are a few packages to choose from. I love it. I got it free for one year w/car...then renewed it for a year for only $124.00 for the Premium XM Package. $10+ a month. Not bad.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
TheAviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
The car has a radio ID# tied to it. Not sure how the notifications will come...to previous owner or you, since ownership has been transferred. You may want to call them, give them the VIN and see what's going on. Maybe see if your dealer knows anything first.

Some people don't think it's worth it, but there are a few packages to choose from. I love it. I got it free for one year w/car...then renewed it for a year for only $124.00 for the Premium XM Package. $10+ a month. Not bad.
Yes that is a good deal. I love it as well and definitely plan on keeping it on for sure. I love getting ESPN radio and all kinds of good rock stations and Margaritaville
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:

I have not paid more then $88.00 for the full package deal. Back in May the sent me a bill for $134.00. I called them up and told that I would go over $77.00 They told me they could not do that. I then asked why was I getting flyers in the saying I could get 6 months for $25.00. They them said they could do that. I told they that would be ok.
In November I will see if I can renew for the $25.00 again.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
MYDLIFECRISIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I have not paid more then $88.00 for the full package deal. Back in May the sent me a bill for $134.00. I called them up and told that I would go over $77.00 They told me they could not do that. I then asked why was I getting flyers in the saying I could get 6 months for $25.00. They them said they could do that. I told they that would be ok.
In November I will see if I can renew for the $25.00 again.
Good to know. The only deals I was offered were much more than what I finally ended up negotiating. Guess I need to be more unforgiving next time.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:

I wouldn't call them until it stopped working then call them. You never know they may have forgotten to shut it off. I canceled my subscription to my home unit three years ago and it's still going. I don't know why but it is.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
skinsfangreg

Drives: 2009 PONTIAC G8GT
Once it cuts off call them and tell them you just purchased it and you'll get 3-6 month free trial. When that's over they will call you asking you to renew. Tell them you can't afford it and they will transfer you to the customer retention dept. who will offer you 6 mo for $25 or 1 year for $88. I always used to get 1 year for $77 but recently they wouldn't do any less that $88 after my 6 month for $25 deal expired. Just remember, no more than $100 for the year.
skinsfangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
MYDLIFECRISIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfangreg View Post
Once it cuts off call them and tell them you just purchased it and you'll get 3-6 month free trial. When that's over they will call you asking you to renew. Tell them you can't afford it and they will transfer you to the customer retention dept. who will offer you 6 mo for $25 or 1 year for $88. I always used to get 1 year for $77 but recently they wouldn't do any less that $88 after my 6 month for $25 deal expired. Just remember, no more than $100 for the year.
Why didn't I know this??? Well, I know it for next year!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
TheAviator

OK Thanks guys great advice. Yes I was not planning on contacting them until it shuts off. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay on. I think the manual says that it will say "renew subscription" and will shut off, if they shut it off.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
RavenZL1

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
OK Thanks guys great advice. Yes I was not planning on contacting them until it shuts off. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay on. I think the manual says that it will say "renew subscription" and will shut off, if they shut it off.
It will just automatically tune to station 1 I believe, which is the XM preview station. That's how you will know they have turned it off.