Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
CJG

Drives: 2018 1SS M6 Summit White, MRC & NPP
Over Rev

Hello - today while driving about 82-89mph, I meant to go from 6th gear to 4th, but accidentally grabbed 2nd. When I started letting the clutch out, the car decelerated quite a bit. I *think* I depressed the clutch before letting it all the way out, but I don’t remember. I do know that the RPM gauge was at or over redline. The car ran perfectly normal afterwards. I parked it at home for about an hour, and took it for another spin. Nothing out of the ordinary. Am I in the clear or can I expect stuff to start going wrong?
CJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Damn you did a money shift. Hopefully everything is okay cuz if something were to go wrong the dealer can see that it over revved and use it against you.

No codes, no limp mode, etc.. you should be fine tho
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mechanical over rev In most cases you would bend a pushrod but the car would certainly not run smoothly if so.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
lol, you are fine. if an over-rev did damage, you would know right away... trust me.

Heres a tip so it never happens to you again: Drive with REV MATCH ON haha. Its saved my ass a couple of times, as the car will auto rev to the point of fuel cutoff before you even release the clutch, keeping you from mechanically over-revving the engine.

Seriously dont sweat it. These engines are engineered with this sort of thing in mind, as these are passenger vehicle engines, and not super tuned race engines.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
lol, you are fine. if an over-rev did damage, you would know right away... trust me.

Heres a tip so it never happens to you again: Drive with REV MATCH ON haha. Its saved my ass a couple of times, as the car will auto rev to the point of fuel cutoff before you even release the clutch, keeping you from mechanically over-revving the engine.

Seriously dont sweat it. These engines are engineered with this sort of thing in mind, as these are passenger vehicle engines, and not super tuned race engines.
Cutting off the fuel feed will have NO effect on a mechanical over-rev.

A mechanical over-rev will happen with or without fuel as well as with or without a spark.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
SSummit

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Avoid skipping gears when downshifting, rather go 6-5-4, you will be far less likely to make this mistake, skipping gears is not only risky, its more work for the synchros and can wear them faster (though I doubt it will have much of an effect).

That being said you will be fine. The Camaro SS does 80 mph at 6500 rpm in 2nd gear, if you were slightly over 80 mph you would have been around 6700 rpm, which is only slightly over red line (6600rpm fuel cut off) and won't be a problem for that very short period of time.
SSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
SSummit

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

Active rev match won't stop you from mechanical over rev, if you are at 100mph and downshift to second the engine is going to rev to around 8000rpm, no matter if the active rev match revs up to 6500rpm. The shock of the engine revving to red line violently when might warn you in time before you make the mistake of choosing the wrong gear, which may be what you meant.

The OPs mistake was skipping gears, he should have gone 6-5-4, 6-4 is not only risky, its more work for the synchros and can wear them faster.
SSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSummit View Post
Active rev match won't stop you from mechanical over rev, if you are at 100mph and downshift to second the engine is going to rev to around 8000rpm, no matter if the active rev match revs up to 6500rpm. The shock of the engine revving to red line violently when might warn you in time before you make the mistake of choosing the wrong gear, which may be what you meant.

The OPs mistake was skipping gears, he should have gone 6-5-4, 6-4 is not only risky, its more work for the synchros and can wear them faster.
SSummit and HDRDTD, you guys both misread my post. With rev match on, the car will cut fuel as soon as you DEPRESS THE CLUTCH AND SHIFT INTO THE WRONG GEAR, if the driver has any sense, he WILL NOT RELEASE the clutch until the mis-shift is corrected, PREVENTING A MECHANICAL OVER REV.

You can not over rev the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. Rev match will let you know you ****ed up before you even release the clutch.

Last edited by soloknight6; 03-06-2018 at 08:20 PM.
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Nannies do not prevent mechanical over-rev.

Automatic transmission is under-appreciated.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
You should be fine, you did mechanically over rev the engine, but luckily not by too much. I wouldn’t think you hit 7k rpm. I know I’ve hit the fuel cut off in 2nd at least 4-5 times. It’s not the same thing but it’s still 6500-6600rpm.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Nannies do not prevent mechanical over-rev.

Automatic transmission is under-appreciated.
His point is with active rev match, it would send the engine to redline and hopefully the driver would go, " WTH why is the engine hitting the limiter" and then realize they shifted into the wrong gear before letting out the clutch. Of course if one doesn't catch it and lets out the clutch, then you're doomed to the mechanical overrev.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Cutting off the fuel feed will have NO effect on a mechanical over-rev.

A mechanical over-rev will happen with or without fuel as well as with or without a spark.

What he's saying is the rev match happens instantly giving you a little extra warning that you F'd up. And he's right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
SSummit and HDRDTD, you guys both misread my post. With rev match on, the car will cut fuel as soon as you DEPRESS THE CLUTCH AND SHIFT INTO THE WRONG GEAR, if the driver has any sense, he WILL NOT RELEASE the clutch until the mis-shift is corrected, PREVENTING A MECHANICAL OVER REV.

You can not over rev the engine with the clutch still engaged. Rev match will let you know you ****ed up before you even release the clutch.
For the record, and to clear up any confusion about a clutch being "engaged" or "disengaged" (I believe you may be confusing the terms)... a clutch is "engaged" when your foot is not depressing the clutch pedal. When "engaged" the disc is "squeezed" between the flywheel and pressure plate, and power from the engine is transmitted by the disc's hub to the input shaft of the transmission.
Therefore, when the clutch is "disengaged", your foot is holding down the clutch pedal. Think of the clutch as something that connects the engine to the transmission, and when this mechanism is "engaged", permits the engine and transmission to work together to move the car.
When the clutch is "disengaged", the engine basically is separated from the transmission (by pressing the clutch pedal down).
The bottom line is that the engine most certainly can be over-revved mechanically when the clutch is "engaged".
The common mistake here, is thinking that one "engages" the clutch when you press down on it - when it is exactly the opposite that is true.

With all that being said, the chances are that no damage was done to the engine - especially if it seems to be running normally. The only caveat here that I can think of would be a scenario where the over-revving incident could have possibly weakened the valve springs to the extent that if the same incident were to be repeated, a bent pushrod might be the consequence, due to the weakened condition of the valve springs (ask me how I know), but that's doubtful based on the description of the incident which was not extreme at all.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
For the record, and to clear up any confusion about a clutch being "engaged" or "disengaged" (I believe you may be confusing the terms)... a clutch is "engaged" when your foot is not depressing the clutch pedal. When "engaged" the disc is "squeezed" between the flywheel and pressure plate, and power from the engine is transmitted by the disc's hub to the input shaft of the transmission.
Therefore, when the clutch is "disengaged", your foot is holding down the clutch pedal. Think of the clutch as something that connects the engine to the transmission, and when this mechanism is "engaged", permits the engine and transmission to work together to move the car.
When the clutch is "disengaged", the engine basically is separated from the transmission (by pressing the clutch pedal down).
The bottom line is that the engine most certainly can be over-revved mechanically when the clutch is "engaged".
The common mistake here, is thinking that one "engages" the clutch when you press down on it - when it is exactly the opposite that is true.

With all that being said, the chances are that no damage was done to the engine - especially if it seems to be running normally. The only caveat here that I can think of would be a scenario where the over-revving incident could have possibly weakened the valve springs to the extent that if the same incident were to be repeated, a bent pushrod might be the consequence, due to the weakened condition of the valve springs (ask me how I know), but that's doubtful based on the description of the incident which was not extreme at all.

Best regards,

Elie
Hey thanks for the correction, learn something new everyday. Thanks man!