Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Stabilitrak fails = 1080 through 4 lanes of traffic & rail guard

Evening everyone...

I totalled my 2010 tonight. Not a happy camper as its one of the first VINs.

It was pouring cats and dogs this evening on the ride home. I was fighting the car at 50 mph to keep it in a straight line the whole way home, then BAM... Orange lights, Service Stabilitrak, and I go immediately into a fishtail through 4 lanes of traffic doing 3, 360s. I am extremely lucky to be alive... Im baffled how I managed to spin between a heavy load of traffic doing 50...

Now... I have always been affraid of this beast in rain. Its never, ever felt safe to drive in heavy rainpours, and tonight, I was sweating bullets the whole way home because I just felt something was going to happen. But I did not expect this...

So here's my questions for the group...

1) Do you all think GM will accept this is a manufature defect? Will be under warrenty? Will they replace the totaled car?
2) Should I just go through my insurance and have the two of them duke it out?
3) Has anyone else had issues with their stablitrak/traction control "not working" and making them fishtail all the time?
4) Tires... Yes I still had the Pirrelli's on the car from when I bought it 2 years ago. Is anyone else seeing an abnormal wear and tear on their tires after 2 years of normal driving?

Body hurts, head hurts, but sadly... my heart is broken... I really loved that car. :(
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
So glad that you are safe. Just rode out a tornado here.

Your life is so much more important than the car.

I hope you will soon be on your way to a replacement.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Glad you're OK! You can replace the car, you're priceless though.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Yeah that makes absolutely no sense at all, glad you're okay though, please post pictures. I just tuned my car yesterday morning with a JRE tune and I found that it really lets loose at low gears but StabiliTrak always corrects anything wrong. It just rained today so I noticed the. The answer to your questions:

1.They had better, because unless you have modifications there is no way this is anything other than a manufactures defect. Something might be wrong with the way they assembled your car, also it could be due to a lack of understanding when assembling the first VIN's ( All respect to the people that assemble our cars, it's just that everyone makes mistakes, as we are all human )

2. I would file a claim with GM first, if that is even possible, there is no reason that you should have to deal with the insurance premium for something that was completely out of your control.

3. I've had my DIC show me Service Stabilitrack messages but only when the battery was too low to start my car, never had a problem with my Traction Control.

4. Haven't had the car for two years yet but they seem to be fine as of yet even with really aggressive use of the car.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
blizzpat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Glad you're okay.

One question though, if you felt something wrong and you were fighting it why didn't you just slow down? Not trying to jack this, I'm just wondering... Also my pirellis were pretty bare after about 15 months... This was with taking it to the track, burning rubber, driving the hell out of my car (24,000mi in about a year)... Tires could have been a huge factor and I don't know how the warranty/gm/insurance company will deal with that.

Hopefully they can find out what went wrong and you can get a new one! Good luck and happy you're safe.. Life > cars.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
After two years what kind of shape were the tires in? I hear the Pirellis do not have a ton of longevity..... glad you're ok though, could've been worse. Good luck.....
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
blizzpat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss=scuba steve View Post
After two years what kind of shape were the tires in? I hear the Pirellis do not have a ton of longevity..... glad you're ok though, could've been worse. Good luck.....
You'd be amazed.. I remember people having to switch out the pirellis at like 15,000 miles... Mine lasted almost 25,000 and this was with about 100+ track passes, probably 50 or so burnouts and very very hard driving. They impressed me.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
BWProductions
StormTrooper

Drives: SW 2SS/RS Vert with Beige top soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
Glad you're OK! You can replace the car, you're priceless though.
Exactly! Glad to hear you're alright, but I am sorry for your loss :(
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
The lights are gonna light up when the TC a ST kick in. They are supposed to. I don't see how GM could be responsible for the weather. Those features are there to assist you, but they can't prevent everything. If you went to hydroplaning (which it's obvious you did) then the nannies can't fix that. Applied breaking, wether by the computer to certain wheels or not, doens't matter if your floating or there is no traction whatsoever.

Glad you're ok. But it sounds like everything worked, but the cinditions were impossible to correct once you hit the water.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Darth Camaro
Out of my mind!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Sorry to hear but glad your OK. Good luck with the claim! I have had my tires for 14 months and 15,000 miles of rough driving look'n for new tires!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmind View Post
Evening everyone...

(snip)

It was pouring cats and dogs this evening on the ride home. I was fighting the car at 50 mph to keep it in a straight line the whole way home, then BAM... Orange lights, Service Stabilitrak, and I go immediately into a fishtail through 4 lanes of traffic doing 3, 360s...

Glad you are ok... but...

By your own admission -- you were fighting to keep it straight *before* the supposed failure, *in pouring rain* ... then I'm sorry to say the primary cause of the accident appears to be the driver making the mistake of simply going too fast for road conditions. Not GM's fault.

Dude, we all make mistakes.... glad you were able to walk away and not have to deal with the guilt of anyone else getting injured.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
That's not fun. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #14
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I understand that this Camaro is a beast, but I have driven plenty of times in inclement weather and for me to hear that you did 3 360s and went through 4 lanes of traffic at speeds of only 50 miles an hour is hard for me to believe. To me, it sounds like you were going faster than 50. As other members have stated, good to hear that your okay. The camaro is always replaceable, but your life is not. However, if you knew something was not feeling right... why did you drive it then? You just admitted driver error. You could have avoided the accident by not driving the car, but you chose to. Why didn't any other cars spin out while only going 50 mph? This is why your story doesn't make sense. If you screwed up and went to fast; just say so. Don't make up a story and say their were manufacture defects with your car to cover your insurance and get the car replaced.

Last edited by rberns; 04-28-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Closed Thread