Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #127
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
I always do this: after backing out of the driveway 1) I put the shifter in M to put it in S mode 2) right click into 2 M mode 3) right click into 3 4) left click neck into 2 5) start my driving....and stay in M the whole time It works for my car but annoying as hell. Just can't put up with AFM so I have to use tapshift all the time. Just want it to work as suggested by Jeff = AFM is off in S and M modes.
Do you do this when stopped or at a slow roll?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #128
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Do you do this when stopped or at a slow roll?
For me, I try do this at a stop before driving even start as (soon as I am backed out of the driveway and put the shifter in M). Although I have done it as a slow roll.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #129
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
But it's agreed by all that when using this method to disable it, it only stays off while in paddle-shift mode, and comes back on if you re-enter "sport" mode by holding down the "+" paddle for 2 seconds, right?

Reason I ask is that I don't ever feel it in paddle shift mode, only in "sport" and "drive" modes. Would like to know if there is a way to disable it in sport mode.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #130
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
But it's agreed by all that when using this method to disable it, it only stays off while in paddle-shift mode, and comes back on if you re-enter "sport" mode by holding down the "+" paddle for 2 seconds, right?

Reason I ask is that I don't ever feel it in paddle shift mode, only in "sport" and "drive" modes. Would like to know if there is a way to disable it in sport mode.
Not agreed by all. Some have claimed that AFM is working even in M mode. There was never a definitive answer from GM that AFM is OFF in any modes. There was a vague suggestion from Jeff (GM rep on the forum) that AFM should be OFF in M and S modes. However, the problem seems to be all over the place: AFM is off for some cars in M mode and off in both M and S modes for some newer cars. In some cars, it always on regardless of modes. The only way to be certain AFM is off in S or M modes is a tune which will void your warranty. If you are lucky that AFM can be turned off in M mode, then driving with paddles in the only option at this point unless you want to keep an anchor on the gas pedal to keep the engine reved up ALL the time. Don't slow down and drive like a normal driver.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #131
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

I sent a letter to the Service Director at my dealership asking for their assistance. They forwarded my letter to GM, and here is the response that I received:

Quote:
The long and short of it is we MUST meet criteria established by the EPA and tons of other federal agencies. I wish it was like it was in the good old days when we could do just about anything we wanted when it came to performance but it's not that way anymore. Performance cars of today and tomorrow WILL be different than in the past. That doesn't mean they wont be great cars but they will be different.

Dwellion Howard
District Manager - Aftersales
General Motors - Southeast Region
Customer Care and Aftersales
Although I feel that this is an "easy answer", it is probably somewhat the truth. I'm sure there are things that they could do to allow us to disable it ourselves, without having to fight them over warranty issues if we do. However, I don't see how a few of us are going to get their attention. They'll just have to suffer diminished sales of the automatics, but I really doubt that they'll make the connection.

As for me, I'm convinced that I'll just give up the warranty. I love my camaro, and I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to build a new engine if I needed to. Time to play.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #132
GATORJAK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
IT'S A FREAK'N STREET LEGAL RACE CAR! GET RID OF AFM!!!!!! I did.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #133
GATORJAK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORJAK View Post
IT'S A FREAK'N STREET LEGAL RACE CAR! GET RID OF AFM!!!!!! I did.

Did I say that out loud?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #134
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
I sent a letter to the Service Director at my dealership asking for their assistance. They forwarded my letter to GM, and here is the response that I received:

Although I feel that this is an "easy answer", it is probably somewhat the truth. I'm sure there are things that they could do to allow us to disable it ourselves, without having to fight them over warranty issues if we do. However, I don't see how a few of us are going to get their attention. They'll just have to suffer diminished sales of the automatics, but I really doubt that they'll make the connection.

As for me, I'm convinced that I'll just give up the warranty. I love my camaro, and I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to build a new engine if I needed to. Time to play.

Pretty weak answer GM.......... GM has become a political BS story much like our government.... never answer the question asked and give the people a generic answer... If I didn't love my Camaro like I do.... I would never buy a GM product..... what a joke.....

Does the Mustang automatic have AFM????
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #135
kbui

Quote:

While I do understand their potential problem with the EPA and other regulatory agencies about changing AFM, I really want a definitive answer about how AFM should work. If it's suppose to be some what random, please state it so. If it's only suppose to be active in D mode, be specific. Not giving an definitive answer is just unacceptable to the end users. My 2011 Cruze would probably be my last GM vehicle now that I see how the New GM is operating.

I wouldn't have a problem with this BS, if they just come clean. I can then make a decision on what to do with the car. Without making major mods for more power, I think it would be foolish on my part just to put in a tune so that AFM can work properly.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #136
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
I 2 would have probably bought a Std had I known how the AFM worked. Salesman said I wouldn't even know when it kicks in our out. (I did not know about this site until after I ordered the car.) He was and is WRONG. It sounds like a 4cyl rice burner in 4 cyl mode, even with stock exhaust. It also seems to shudder and surge when changing modes. when it changes modes and has a pause when I add a little gas before it switches back to 8 cyl mode.

I have kinda reconciled myself to the feel but still hate it.

The system is a POS.

I would not mind having the system if I could configure it so I could turn it off or on.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #137
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Please express your displeasure with your service manager (not just a service advisor). Have them escalate it up to their regional manager. The more they hear this, maybe the more they will get into fixing it.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #138
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Please express your displeasure with your service manager (not just a service advisor). Have them escalate it up to their regional manager. The more they hear this, maybe the more they will get into fixing it.

Have already, twice!

If enough people express their feelings, maybe GM will do something! Not holding my breath tho.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #139
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Sorry but a newbie to the AFM issue, but when driving mine is the AFM sound like the transmission shifts to higher gear than needed(5th gear when 3rd or 4th would be better)? Or is it a different sound completely?
Dznyfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #140
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznyfn View Post
Sorry but a newbie to the AFM issue, but when driving mine is the AFM sound like the transmission shifts to higher gear than needed(5th gear when 3rd or 4th would be better)? Or is it a different sound completely?
Yep... that's sort of what it sounds like. If your car is stock it's barely noticeable...