Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #43
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly I shift low compared in a much more safe torque friendly area and have no complaints, Hp shows how hard the engine works making that torque...……...I don't suddenly drop a few thousand rpms either in another gear...……..Its a flying land barge; brick; heavy Chevy; you move it with torque as with all vehicles. If I shifted that high I would loose ET and be slower. Now if you want to circle track it you want the rpms up more easier shifts higher always staying a couple gears in and out more. I shift more in the 5500 area and ride out the torque and if I miss my shift light its a little higher...if I am slow to shift it drops a couple hundred maybe. But then again I am a Daily driver, and that's just spirited driving not the usual make sure to stay above 1500 rpm fuel economy staying low in the rpm commute shift avoiding cam surge. And I use a milder cam a old Cammotion stage 3 made more with a wider LSA 144 + 4 degrees advance to get torque down low. I baby the engine for now until I get past daughters college expenses that ate my wallet...LOL With a stroker my averages are well above a much more extreme cam and I get more power with less stress on the springs for now...…. and use the torque and feel the power much more than a more all out stock cube engine. ( that is as far as over the counter bumpsticks for the average ls3 build go with vendors)……

I aim for the max torque before it falls off area, and shift quickly staying in high torque. Sorry its hard to read ink was a little low and scanner sucked, shows a average of 447 torque and 335 hp, now last engine I was stock cubes .235 .239 tsp cam with .639 and .623 and 112 lsa , compared to 114 +4 .613 .578 and lower durations from cam motion the extra cubes with milder cam net me much more torque down low where I need it and I actually gained from 448 torque to now 483 ish with much larger down low and midrange torque plateau, stupid sheet started a little late for the AFR in the second engines dyno and ink was low....

But hey the TSP cam ran like a raped ape, gained power right to the stock limiter in engine power yet torque fell off as most cams after the crossing lines at 5252 at about the 5550 area.

Hp is nice yet it does not move you its figured off the torque that does, it shows the engines power making that torque, to me it makes no sense to go way into diminishing returns many do revving higher ; I am street strip and sure the ls3/ls engines can go up to 7k, ls7s do it with 1.8 rockers though and a real good shop would tell you link bar rockers etc are better to keep it together...something to think about. I gave up HP for torque, and I am faster. I wish my other dyno sheet showed better; but it shows I have 40 more ft lbs at measurement #1 and 20 more hp, my average torque went up 40 and hp down 24, but the highs; I lost 15 hp and gained about 40 torque and I feel it and it shows all across the under the curve and it comes on quicker moving my fat Chevys Phat arse better...LOL

Sure I could have gained even more with my old cam; sold it in great shape and aimed for the long run until someday a good stroker cam and small bore ls7 heads and MSD airforce and nick williams 102 or maybe a blower etc....if go big chamber to make it less compression at 11:1 now and a cam to match. But hey its my daily . To me on both engines it makes no sense for me to shift in diminishing returns from torque, lost the first engine with a spring breakage from downshifting to avoiding a butt head with the stock stick that could not hit the 3rd gear and went finally at last to first..should have just ridden the brake at 80 mph on a bumper; and down the road it showed it did not like it months later, tough lesson but I did not have the cash to open the valve covers and look at the time..and it months later showed up taking out a spring and its friend before I could limp it home..appeared to have mildly bent all the pushrods also....and never wimpered right to the end; strong engine.. And yes of course a loan made the new engine happen.. Just rambling, have a good Saturday morning. I don't and my tuner does not make smoothed sheets as it shows the problem areas you look for and its in nano friggin seconds anyway. Sure I could shift higher with my torque dropping off and miss out on those beautiful rolling burnouts if ,( though not needed), turning off the nannie.... For most complaining of lack of power down low ; lack of speed, etc they complain about the low end grunt that makes it move and can burn that rubber, my solution was stroking it and even going much milder cam gaining that torque and its a whole different ball game. Feels so much more strong and shreds with TC on. I hardly ever take it off seriously unless I rarely want to cost money on the tires before a new set as it does much more than chirp between gears or god forbid dropping the clutch even with TC on....I use it to let others know even with TC on back the F off F tard. Not into gators.....tail variety. LOL have a good one, and don't be afraid to experiment with shifting points, I use a speedhut shiftlight plugs right into the OBD 2 port always lets me know where I programmed it if I am going over where I normally shift if get rowdy. And does not loose it programming unplugged..... They used to have a nice programming commercial hmmmmmm had a Camaro and tunes..that sailing song, mines on my dash by the pillar.... https://www.youtube.com/embed/VyP7UQ8TGxs

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-11-2018 at 10:14 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #44
rms2005

Drives: '11 SS/RS
just fyi the "new" tsp stage 3 is 231/246 on a 111ls and 640/615 lift
very good street manners IMO and couldn't be happier with it.
just re-read the OP and seen this was more of a comparison of the 2, o well, carry on.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #45
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms2005 View Post
just fyi the "new" tsp stage 3 is 231/246 on a 111ls and 640/615 lift
very good street manners IMO and couldn't be happier with it.
just re-read the OP and seen this was more of a comparison of the 2, o well, carry on.
Yes that was the cam I had after the 231/236. I now have btr stg 2 with a 225/238 and. 612/.586 lift with a 113. The 231/246 I felt had same street manners as the 231/236. I didn't pick the btr cam and left that in the speed shops hands. I wasn't happy with it but that engine lasted a few hundred miles then started making metal. So Im probably not the best judge of that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #46
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Just relying on a shop you have to make sure to pick the best, as I know this is not my old sbc/bbc…. I research everything before I buy and wonder about shops that offer cheap installs and parts included as usually that means they will buy the cheapest parts and do the job as quick as possible with out checking things and your just another of many varied types of engines/vehicles they deal with.

I agree about the street manners of varied cams often it is overstated, my new cam is much like my old cam in feel; same range for cam surge, about the same feel for braking and vacuum....etc and one was 112 lsa the other 114+4 and milder lifts and durations...…. And yes crap happens.... go figure...lol And the typewriter sound of my lifters...well its louder with a milder cam and milder springs...….LOL but what matters is longevity and performance.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #47
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Math is math - hp is a measurement of torque and rpm. It's the combination of those two that determines how much work an engine is capable of. My 12v Cummins in my 1 ton makes just as much torque as much LS3 - but I'll guarantee that if we popped that motor in my Camaro it wouldn't be nearly as fast. Torque is nice and has a lot to do with the "feel" of an engine, but HP is the ultimate measurement for how much output an engine is capable of.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote