Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
harrykane140693

Drives: red color
Some thoughts after I drove a rental 2017 Camaro SS yesterday. I need some context.

Like the title says, I drove a 2017 Camaro SS yesterday. I'll start with the fun parts: the sound was phenomenal, and I was definitely smiling when I put my foot down. Honestly I can't think of anything else to say that's kind to the car... Im writing the following out to get some context for what may have happened to cause some of these incoming negatives.

The visibility was terrible, but everyone knows that. The auto transmission was so bad, it took a considerable amount of time to kick down to get on the power. Then the power... normally I drive a 170-180 Hp altima. Something making 455 HP should have me freaking out right? Are my expectations of acceleration too high? The ride wasn't exactly stable, the brakes were soft, the shifts when driving spirited (3-5K rpm) felt jerky and poorly timed. Am I just being too picky or have any of you guys been similarly disappointed with the Camaro? I had the opportunity to drive one of the turbo 4 Mustangs around an autocross track back in 2016 and it felt nothing like this experience, I was amazed by the difference of what it felt like to really drive a sports car rather than just a coupe of an economy car, and that had 150 less HP than the Camaro, and shouldn't have been better equipped in the brakes and tires department either considering the model differences.

So again, can someone tell me something good about this car, because I can't understand why anyone would choose it over the Mustang right now. I promise I'm not some Ford stan trying to start some shit on a car forum. Either that or join me in tearing it down eh?
harrykane140693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Right........
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Typical rental probably, used and abused.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo-D View Post
Typical rental probably, used and abused.
or possibly even de-tuned....
Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #5
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I drove a 2017 rental is it was awesome. You must have just had a bad one. I felt and used all 455hp in the one I rented. And for some reason when I returned it ... I didn't see any threads on the back tires ... hmmmm I wonder what happened. ; )
Old 07-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #6
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
I have spent some quality time with a few 6th gen ss and all I can say is it was the car you had. Not a normal experience at all for the SS.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Being a rental it has probably only seen 87 octane for it's life.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
1st post is this? From Australia? Uhmm. okay. I'm betting OP is a troll from a Mustang forum and is in the midwest..

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
1st post is this? From Australia? Uhmm. okay. I'm betting OP is a troll from a Mustang forum and is in the midwest..
Yep...........................

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrykane140693 View Post
So again, can someone tell me something good about this car, because I can't understand why anyone would choose it over the Mustang right now.
Read this post: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534860

The article linked above is mostly about the 6th gens. I too rented a 6th gen SS about a year and a half ago, it was a ‘16 or ‘17 SS auto vert from Hertz. Yeah it wasn’t perfect but it looked waaaaaay better than the current style mustangs which look fugly IMO.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #11
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Wow. Welcome to the forum! What an interesting and thought provoking post. Your remarkable and obviously unbiased review has completely changed my outloook on Camaros and the automobile industry as a whole. I wish I could help you find something good about the car, but I after your in-depth comparison I rolled mine straight into a river.

I will obviously be rethinking my choices of automobiles as well as most of my life choices. Additionally I’ll be selling all the vehicles I presently own as I await your recommendations.

Thanks for the post and not starting any shit. You really helped alot of people that might have made a huge mistake.

(PS. I’ve been shopping for a new rotisserie cooker. I’d welcome any opinions you might have on that because I’m really stumped here...)
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Well being that the car was a rental, you wouldn't expect it to have the highest level of options. I imagine that it was a base car (correct me if I'm wrong) with no leather and just the standard equipment.

Still, give the respect where its due. It is still a Camaro with a hell of an engine that makes over 450 hp. It will not be slow by anyone's measure. The Altima, although probably a decent commuter, will in no way be able to outperform the Camaro. It may be milder and thus easier to drive for commuting.

I believe your assessment, but I just wanted to give my opinion on certain things. Often times things seem one way when in reality the situation could be quite different.

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if the car had a speed governor installed on it. I've seen this on rental trucks so its entirely possible.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
muffins4all

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Jesus, do people really have nothing better to do with their time than go on random forums and make troll posts? I really envy how much free time you have!
muffins4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
You’re on the wrong forum. I’ve rented two different 6th gens in two different cities. Both were absolute beasts on rent gas. But still I came home and was satisfied with the 5th gen slug I own.