Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Opinions Please: Camaro vs CTS-V

Performance wise how will the SS Camaro compar to another GM performance car, the CTS-V???

Seeking what little facts are available/known. Seems to me that GM is on a roll when it comes to performance vehicles these days with the release of the Camaro SS, ZR1, G8-GPX and now the CTS-V. Hell they even have the sub-compact market covered with the Cobalt SS.

Talking about the "good old days". This might just be it.

But back to my original ??? I'm not concerned about $$$ or # of doors etc just raw basic car guy stuff: 0-60, 1/4, Top speed. You know "bragging rights".

Thanks in advance for all your responses and opinions

Last edited by TomServo; 11-06-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Performance wise how will the SS Camaro compar to another GM performance car, the CTS-V???

Seeking what little facts are available/known. Seems to me that GM is on a roll when it comes to performance vehicles these days with the release of the Camaro SS, ZR1 and now the CTS-V. Hell they even have the sub-compact market covered with the Cobalt SS.

But back to my original ??? I'm not concerned about $$$ or # of doors etc just raw basic car guy stuff: 0-60, 1/4, Top speed. You know "bragging rights".

Thnaks in advance for all your responses and opinions
I think the V ran a good 20 seconds faster at the nurburgring than the SS, which is to be expected considering its got 125hp on the camaro. My guess is the V will be in the mid to low 12's, while the SS will be in the high 12's or low 13's.

drag slip for the '09 V here: http://www.dragtimes.com/Cadillac-CT...lip-16478.html

12.30 at 121mph.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
The outgoing V is probably pretty close to a new Camaro SS, but the new V is crap loads better than the old. Plenty more power, and a just-as-capable chassis.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
You know as an old "gear jammer" and muscle car owner since the 60's, consider for a minute the fact that we are having this discussion in 2008. GM is producing some of the best high performance cars in the world right now. And the fact that Cadillac is mentioned in the same sentence and has the #'s to back it up is even more incredible.

Talk about being a "kid in the candy store". I hope and pray GM finds its way out of their current financial nightmare as these cars are too good to go away.

We are living in "the good old days". Way to GO GM.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
You know as an old "gear jammer" and muscle car owner since the 60's, consider for a minute the fact that we are having this discussion in 2008. GM is producing some of the best high performance cars in the world right now. And the fact that Cadillac is mentioned in the same sentence and has the #'s to back it up is even more incredible.

Talk about being a "kid in the candy store". I hope and pray GM finds its way out of their current financial nightmare as these cars are too good to go away.

We are living in "the good old days". Way to GO GM.
I think we're at the end of the good old days... I hope to God I'm wrong, but I fear that I'm right.

I think the new V is on the same chassis as the prior generation, from what I've read, but I think it ran the 'Ring just under 8-minutes, and with the SS about 20 seconds back, I think tires and power make up for a lot of the difference. The V is what, like 200 lbs. heavier but has another ~130 horsepower, so if you could put a set of the same Michelins, tune the suspension a little more, and add anothe ~100 horsepower, Camaro could run past a V I think.

I have to admit, I love how the CTS looks, and the V is even meaner. Honestly, if I can't get the car I would like from GM, I might consider a V; it's a lot more expensive, but it's four-doors, has lots of power, looks great (IMHO), and one could easily tune another easy 50-horsepower out of it with little cash.

To your post though, the V has the SS out-right, IMHO. It won't take much to get that back though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
stock for stock the CTS-V is slightly quicker. Obviously it has the LSA powerplant w 556hp does 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 in low 12's...

My dad has test driven the 09 CTS-V, ZR1, he's now starting to test drive the Camaros but he told me that the CTS-V is just insane. The raw power and the instant pull from the supercharger he said is just crazy and he had to do some tests with it with instructions to turn all the stability control systems and traction control systems off and he said that it just wanted to go sideways the whole time, he even admitted to doing a couple doughnuts in one of the parking lots... hehe... Yeah, I hate him.

lol He also said he went through a whole tank of gas in just one shift of having it too... Although the only complaint that he had was he thought the seats were rather uncomfortable...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
New CTS-V runs 0-60 in 3.9 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in approx. 12 sec.
Time on the Nordschliefe was 7:59 - fastest ever for a production 4 door sedan.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6256035/...-hp/index.html

As far as uncomfortable seats are concerned, the car has optional sport (Recaro) seats.

I am also looking seriously at this car if Chevrolet does not make the car I want. I may decide to go this route even though it is more costly. However, I'd probably drive it on an all year round basis and sell my current winter beater.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Let's not forget, that the time posted at the ring was in a test mule car, which GM admitted, was far from complete at the time.

I read in one of the magazines last week, that they expected to be getting a full production SS sometime in late Dec, or Jan., for testing.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
djpheer

Drives: 08 Civic SI
The new CTS-V would destroy the new Camaro SS. It will not be a race. Any of you who think otherwhise are kidding yourselves.
djpheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:

Seeking what little facts are available/known. Seems to me that GM is on a roll when it comes to performance vehicles these days with the release of the Camaro SS, ZR1, G8-GPX and now the CTS-V. Hell they even have the sub-compact market covered with the Cobalt SS.

Thanks in advance for all your responses and opinions
The new CTS-V will absolutely rape a stock SS. It will dry hump it up and down any track (or highway) you bring them to.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Straign line: CTS - V hands down. Top speed: V. 0-60: V.

Road course: Should be close. But edge goes to the V. Under 8 minutes at the ring is unreal. I will be supremely impressed if the Camaro can get it's time down that low. Not that I think it is impossible. But a lot to ask of a 35K car. Whereas the V is a 60K car; you're obviously getting more for you money than a Cadillac emblem.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Straign line: CTS - V hands down. Top speed: V. 0-60: V.

Road course: Should be close. But edge goes to the V. Under 8 minutes at the ring is unreal. I will be supremely impressed if the Camaro can get it's time down that low. Not that I think it is impossible. But a lot to ask of a 35K car. Whereas the V is a 60K car; you're obviously getting more for you money than a Cadillac emblem.
EXCELLENT point! It's not exactly apples to apples.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
If you can afford the CTS-V ... GET IT !!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
In all reality, if you're comparing a Cadillac to a Chevy, you're comparing the wrong cars. With that money, you could either get a stock CTS-V and drive the hell out of it or get a stock Camaro, add a ridiculous amount of performance work, and drive the hell out of it. Would you rather have a car that—forgive my bias—you made your own or a car that the factory made for you? Whatever your answer, you have to decide based on a long list of questions about your priorities:
• Do appearances matter?
• In any car I've driven, have I wanted more?
• Does this car fit my personality?
• Is driver comfort essential to my automotive experience?
• What heritage do I inherit with this brand?
• Do I fit such a heritage?
• Am I classist?
• Do I want my car to reflect my desire to work or my desire to play?
• What type of fuel do I prefer?
• Does this company's priorities coincide with my own?
• Will I regret spending this amount later?
• Are all the essential options featured in this car?
• Is luxury or sportiness a priority for me?
• Am I likely to get in trouble or get out of trouble driving this?
• Does this car attract the attention that I want?
• Does this car reflect my overall appreciation or knowledge of cars?
• Will I want to keep this car forever?
• Which car is right for me?
Most people don't put this much thought into a car. I figure that any investment as substantial as a new mode of transportation is worthy of analysis. First impressions are important, and, many times, the first impression someone gets of you is what mode of transportation brought you to them. If you show up in my Subaru, they may scoff at your classlessness. If you show up in a Lamborghini, they may look in awe at your ostentatiousness. In any case, you need to figure out what is important to you when it comes to arriving anywhere you go.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote