Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #71
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstebanVerde View Post
Mark Reuss said in a video (don't remember where) that it had to do with a general agreement between manufacturers about not taping at the ring when unreleased product is testing or something. Said GM wouldn't release times that didn't have video proof. Even though they have posted much better times.
Yes. It was because there might be other manufacturers cars running test laps of their own in cars still in development at the same time.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #72
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
So they machined the heads to be lighter. I wonder if that will have any sealing or other issues when boosted?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #73
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
What's really fascinating is that this car was meant mainly as a replacement for the BOSS. Makes me wonder what else they've got up their sleeve.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #74
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
My predictions are that the z28 will still beat the 350 but will get edged out by the R version.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #75
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Just did this mock up using GM's engine dyno chart and the Voodoo dyno chart that someone took a picture of. Numbers aren't perfect and are an estimate in some areas but should be pretty close.

While the initial numbers of the Voodoo look pretty good, it's the area under the curve that tell the whole story and it looks like the LS7 is a much more stout engine with the power. A lot less spiky and more predictable too..

That's an interesting chart but when racing how much time will be spent below 3500 RPM?
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #76
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The GT350R should have been built to beat the out going Z/28 and if it can't thoroughly beat our Z/28 then it has to be another setback for ford like the 15 Mustang GT PP is in comparison to the 1LE. We will see if their guys are as exceptional as our guys have been and continue to be in GM's performance group.

Competition is grand and we all win in the end.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #77
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
That's an interesting chart but when racing how much time will be spent below 2500 RPM?
Not much but the LS7 has more hp and tq everywhere except the last 1,500 rpms or so.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #78
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
I think the car will be bad ass... These are pretty sick cars for the money, we are splitting hairs here...
Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #79
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Not much but the LS7 has more hp and tq everywhere except the last 1,500 rpms or so.
Which makes the ls7 the more usable engine so to speak
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #80
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If they test the R vs the Z28 Ford better hope it wins. Hopefully they bought a Z28 this time and tested against it. Not like the 1LE debacle of looking past it and never doing their own R&D against it. The 6th gen R came out after and will be going up against a dead 5th gen platform with a dead engine that has been around since 2005!!!!!. The R will have more advertised HP with less weight as well.
Seems like a lose lose situation to me for Ford. If it wins people will look at it like OK it should have. If it loses its a embarrassment. The only silver lining would be the price difference of advertised MSRP but your likely going to spend the same exact amount for both cars in the real world.

People comparing a engine that has been around since 2005 to one coming out later this year in 2015???? Priceless.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #81
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
If they test the R vs the Z28 Ford better hope it wins. Hopefully they bought a Z28 this time and tested against it. Not like the 1LE debacle of looking past it and never doing their own R&D against it. The 6th gen R came out after and will be going up against a dead 5th gen platform with a dead engine that has been around since 2005!!!!!. The R will have more advertised HP with less weight as well.
Seems like a lose lose situation to me for Ford. If it wins people will look at it like OK it should have. If it loses its a embarrassment. The only silver lining would be the price difference of advertised MSRP but your likely going to spend the same exact amount for both cars in the real world.

People comparing a engine that has been around since 2005 to one coming out later this year in 2015???? Priceless.
Exactly.

The ls7 is great but damn it's a decade old.

Like some have been talking about... An updated ls7 (lt7?)could EASILY make 550 hp and well over 500 tq.
Coupled to a new chassis roughly equal in weight to a gt350. With dedicated focus/engineering toward handling like they did with gen 5 z.

I can only dream that gm goes this route. It would be game over...until next round

I think sales or possible lack of could prevent this. But I would hope if they could nail it for the right price sales should follow. Wonder what they are thinking....?
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #82
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post

What's crazy is that it still holds its own. The LS7 is a monster of an engine but I think the comparisons will be down to the weight advantage of the GT350R. But even so I'm wondering how much of a weight difference there will be. looking forward to first drives and comparions with the Z/28
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #83
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
What's crazy is that it still holds its own. The LS7 is a monster of an engine but I think the comparisons will be down to the weight advantage of the GT350R. But even so I'm wondering how much of a weight difference there will be. looking forward to first drives and comparions with the Z/28
That was the point I was making about the LS7. People actually making a comparison of it against a brand new Vodoo 10 years later shows just how great it is/was as far as power production is concerned.

Congrats Ford. You made a NA engine that makes more HP than a 10year old LS7.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #84
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Are you really going to try and say the rain didn't slow them down? I understand it is the official time. But if your saying the car couldn't go quicker your crazy...

If you read the literature on it they claim they had run several times that had the potential to be quicker etc. this was their best complete lap caught on video but got screwed with rain at the end. It is hard to get track time to yourself amongst other issues. Getting in quality uninterrupted complete laps can be tough at the ring.
Don't kill the messenger this is just what I've read.
Not what I am saying at all. The fact is, while the car might be capable of running a faster time, the only time we can speak to is the one released.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote