Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #29
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
So, Consumer Reports bases their line up off of voluntary survey where about 10% come back. Of that 10%, it is pretty common knowledge that unhappy people are more likely to respond than satisfied people (human nature). Then add to this equation that some are just frustrated, not because there is anything wrong with car, but they simply don't understand the systems and how they work.

Then, we have JD Power. More reliable in that it surveys actual dealer service visits and rates then in more reliable issues per 100 cars. However, what I want to know is what are those "issues"?

Just as an example, and this is hypothetical, Lexus has the least issues per 100 cars, great, that tells me very little about actual 'reliability'. So lets say, of those 83 per 100, 60 came back to the dealer on a tow truck for powertrain or driveline failure. Then take Cadillac, for instance, where of their 114 per 100 only 20 were brought in on the tow truck for similar issues. (again, hypothetical to illustrate a point)

So, what is reliability? To me, a reliability issue is one that prevents the car from performing it's basic function, transportation. A convience issue, like trim pieces, faulty gadgets, and the occaisional faulty sensor are not so much 'reliability'.

My point is that if the severity of the issue is not weighed, then the whole chart is flawed. Sure, we all want a brand new car to be perfect in every way, but they are all designed and built by humans who are inherantly flawed. I can live with a nav system that has no sense of direction, or a trim piece that rattles, or a CEL because a sensor has gone to sleep a lot easier than I can live with car that leaves a trail of engine and transmission parts on the highway. That's what I want to know before I buy a car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #30
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Thus proving that having wealth doesn't mean you're smart.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #31
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
So, Consumer Reports bases their line up off of voluntary survey where about 10% come back. Of that 10%, it is pretty common knowledge that unhappy people are more likely to respond than satisfied people (human nature). Then add to this equation that some are just frustrated, not because there is anything wrong with car, but they simply don't understand the systems and how they work.

Then, we have JD Power. More reliable in that it surveys actual dealer service visits and rates then in more reliable issues per 100 cars. However, what I want to know is what are those "issues"?

Just as an example, and this is hypothetical, Lexus has the least issues per 100 cars, great, that tells me very little about actual 'reliability'. So lets say, of those 83 per 100, 60 came back to the dealer on a tow truck for powertrain or driveline failure. Then take Cadillac, for instance, where of their 114 per 100 only 20 were brought in on the tow truck for similar issues. (again, hypothetical to illustrate a point)

So, what is reliability? To me, a reliability issue is one that prevents the car from performing it's basic function, transportation. A convience issue, like trim pieces, faulty gadgets, and the occaisional faulty sensor are not so much 'reliability'.

My point is that if the severity of the issue is not weighed, then the whole chart is flawed. Sure, we all want a brand new car to be perfect in every way, but they are all designed and built by humans who are inherantly flawed. I can live with a nav system that has no sense of direction, or a trim piece that rattles, or a CEL because a sensor has gone to sleep a lot easier than I can live with car that leaves a trail of engine and transmission parts on the highway. That's what I want to know before I buy a car.
I think it constitutes any visit to teh dealership for service. So I believe even if it is something like someone cant get their infotainment system to work, that gets knocked on both Consumer Reports and JD power. Maybe someone else can chime in
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #32
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think it constitutes any visit to teh dealership for service. So I believe even if it is something like someone cant get their infotainment system to work, that gets knocked on both Consumer Reports and JD power. Maybe someone else can chime in
Right, just illustrating that while these might be helpful, they are incomplete at best.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #33
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Consumer Reports is geared towards people who can't tell the difference between car makes, but instead differentiate them with terms like, "big" or "little" or squarish" or "roundy- looking". CR readers don't know how to drive manuals, they buy cars for a pretty color, or maybe because it smelled really nice when the very nice and handsome salesman showed it to them. They pay 30% over invoice, because they don't know any better. They couldn't change a flat tire, and probably wouldn't even recognize one... and will drive for 30 miles on said flat, because, why not? Basically, CR is for my mom, not for anybody with more than a cursory knowledge of what performance, quality, or value mean in an automobile.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #34
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Consumer Reports is good for toilet paper and not much else. Especially when it comes to cars.
This. Paid shills is all they are.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #35
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Ah, the myths of the wealthy.

Most American millionaires drive a Ford.
Well partially correct, except Ford sold Land Rover in 2008. BTW curious, where did you find that tidbit of information?

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 10-23-2015 at 06:37 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #36
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Thus proving that having wealth doesn't mean you're smart.
Most Americans that are wealthy have "stealth wealth." They have simply lived frugally and invested substantial portions of their salaries instead of blowing it on depreciating assets, like cars. Most people live paycheck to paycheck because they blow all their money on possessions and have no discipline, spending every raise they get before they even get it.

It is obscenely easy to become a millionaire in America. Invest $15,000-20,000/year in a low-cost S&P 500 mirroring mutual fund or EFT for 30 years in a non-taxable account, like a Roth IRA and 401(k) combination and you'll be a multi-millionaire.

Ronald Reed, a janitor that never made much above minimum wage, amassed $8M because he just didn't spend his money and invested everything he could in index funds and DRIP's/DSPP's. Most people don't know what a DRIP or a DSPP is. If you start young enough and time is on your side, it's a near guarantee.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/09/heres...m-fortune.html
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #37
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
If I read the chart right it appears Fiat is living up to its old name -
F-ix I-t A-gain T-ony.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
If I read the chart right it appears Fiat is living up to its old name -
F-ix I-t A-gain T-ony.
I really hope Fiat doesn't destroy Dodge. I really like the Dodge Challenger. What a great looking car. I hope Fiat's terrible quality doesn't translate down to the Challenger. Hopefully, the car holds up well.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #39
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
A few things worth noting about Consumer Reports Predicted Reliability.
  1. Every year they send out a survey to Consumer Reports subscribers asking what problems they've experienced with their cars.
  2. The overall survey response is less than 10%
  3. The most common problem is "I don't know how to work my nav"

This presents numerous limitations - first and foremost being these are Consumer Reports subscribers voluntarily feeding in this data. Ask yourself, does the average Consumer Reports subscriber represent you?

Are the CR charts easy to find? Also, do the numbers in parens - Lexus (7) - on the report indicate the number of people that responded or the number of issues they had?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #40
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Is there any proof that these magazines are paid off? Or is it just you guys being overprotective of gm?
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #41
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I don't buy Ford or Dodge because of reliability. Some people call that a "fanboy". Everyone has favorites for different reasons. Favorite football or baseball team, brand of oil whatever. Nothing wrong with being a car enthusiast or a fanboy. To me, GM and specifically the Camaro has nailed reliability, safety, looks and performance.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #42
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
Is there any proof that these magazines are paid off? Or is it just you guys being overprotective of gm?
It's fairly well documented that CR is biased against all American manufacturers and heavily favors imports.