Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Weird situation/ question for you guys

Deleted this post guys for obvious reasons. She's in good shape.

Last edited by CamaroC-17; 03-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Wow, your right about it being weird. Not sure how the buyer registered/insured the car without proof of ownership? How long ago did you sell it? Since its still in your name then it sounds like you would have the right to get it back. I would think you should be able to get a new title for it from the state. You may also want to see what condition the car is in now but it should be worth quite a bit more than the $1700 due. Not sure why someone spend that much and no it follow through, but since its not being claimed and would be deemed abandoned and auctioned, I would definitely reclaim it if possible. Be good to see it back with someone who will take care of it, good luck!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Can you post more pics? I wanna do the ground effects with ZL1 bumper
Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Deleted

Last edited by CamaroC-17; 03-08-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
It's you car, but a bill is owed, in my state I could order a duplicate title online in this situation and the new title would void all previous versions.

Basically he never registered the car in his name, people do it all the time. Then dropped it somewhere for repair and never picked it up. It could need work. The shop is putting a mechanics lien in it, part of that process is sending notices and attempting to contact the legal owner, giving interested parties a last chance to pay what is owed before they take ownership.

If you want to pay the bill you can claim the car. If you could care less, just ignore them you aren't liable for anything. A large portion of the bill will be storage charges.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
DanielW

Drives: 2011 SS/RS convertible
Do exactly what you said, contact a lawyer. Then let us know if you just "bought" your car back for $1700. Which if it ends up being legal, would be pretty killer.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
Do exactly what you said, contact a lawyer. Then let us know if you just "bought" your car back for $1700. Which if it ends up being legal, would be pretty killer.
It's legal, the only repercussions he could face would be the guy he sold it to finding him and will be really pissed off. He could be in jail or something, then you would be doing him a favor, he could buy his car back when he gets out.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
EWade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
A lawyer would probably tell you not to do it. You sold it to the guy two years ago and he didn't send in the title to register it in his state and have plates. No matter what happened to this guy you'd be better off steering clear of taking back your old car.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Regardless of whether or not the buyer registered the car, the car still belong to him since he purchased it from you. The only way this would work was if the auto shop applied for an abandoned title, and then sold it to you afterwards. However, if they did that, they'd be able to sell the car for KBB value, and not just the repair bill, since if would be their car.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
You were paid for this car, walk away its not yours.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Deleted

Last edited by CamaroC-17; 03-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
EWade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroC-17 View Post
I feel the same way. I was paid for the car. However, if the car is just going to be abandoned by the guy and auctioned off...and if I'm legally able to take the car back after paying the 1700...I feel like it's a deaI can't pass up.
You'll open yourself up to legal trouble, ask a lawyer. You did sell the car to the guy and he took it to a shop, and for some reason he can't be reached by this shop. Now here's the rub, that shop has the right to go after the guy for the bill, if they auction it off they will have to have the car a certain number of days before they can legally file for ownership if the guy doesn't come in to pay the bill and take the car. If you wait till they go through this, then you'd be able to bid on the car at auction, and might get it back but probably not for 1700. If you tried to pay the bill and take the car, you'd be looking at a possibility of the guy who bought it coming after you for theft. Best to let that shop do things and see it go to auction than have possible legal troubles.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would be pissed!
The car is in your name and there is an out standing debt against it, your credit takes a hit.
If someone is driving the car and has an accident you are the one they contact.
You are still responsible for this car while it is in your name.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I would be pissed!
The car is in your name and there is an out standing debt against it, your credit takes a hit.
If someone is driving the car and has an accident you are the one they contact.
You are still responsible for this car while it is in your name.
Lol I like this guys angle! In all honesty I never wanted to sell the car. Baby number two came (now a 3rd otw) and the wife was pushing me to sell so we could get...gasp!... A van.. So when this popped up...my heart started hoping and wishing I could get it back. I can't afford to pay that actual value of the car.