Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
brz1980

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Figured Out Source of Rattle - Now How to Fix It?

After much frustration, I've figured out the cause of the rattle in my brand new SS - it was a panel on the trunk on the passenger side that is loose. The equivalent panel on the driver side sits snug and firm along the rubber, while part of this one sits below the rubber and moves easily to the touch. I've confirmed this is the cause of the rattle because after putting a piece of fabric between the panel and the rubber the rattle stopped, even after driving at 80+ for a while.

What I'm now trying to figure out is if making this panel firm is something I can do on my own, or if I need to take to the dealer. There appears to be 3 "bolt" looking things like the one in the photo, along with one large plastic screw that I can remove, but the problem is after removing that one screw, I can't seem to take the panel off. Does it have to do with these 3 things, and if so how can I remove/loosen them so that I can try rearranging the panel better? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Of course it has to do with the "3 things", pull up the center of them with a screwdriver, run a few beads of silicone seal around the edges and put them back. The silicone will hold it but still allow it to come loose. The poppers will attach as you press the center back into place.

See how they work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Or take it in......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Maybe get some 3M tape and try to stick it between the areas you think are rattling. Look there is automative whitepaper on solving automotive rattles. :-(

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
brz1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Of course it has to do with the "3 things", pull up the center of them with a screwdriver, run a few beads of silicone seal around the edges and put them back. The silicone will hold it but still allow it to come loose. The poppers will attach as you press the center back into place.

See how they work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Or take it in......
I'm blaming my lack of auto skills, but didn't have luck prying any of them off, even though the Amazon photos made it seem like it would be easy. Oh well, I'm just gonna stick a piece of cloth or something between the panel and the rubber until I can go to the dealer. I'm just relieved that I found the source of the damn rattle...
Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Glen e

File this under "I'll never need this"... The tool you need for poppers...but you will use it 100 times a year with these new Lego snap fit cars:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
Old 03-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
brz1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Maybe get some 3M tape and try to stick it between the areas you think are rattling. Look there is automative whitepaper on solving automotive rattles. :-(

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current
Not a bad idea, I'm going to try again removing the panel tonight but whether I do it or the dealer, I'm going to want some kind of foam or tape between the rubber and the panel because it looks like the just the rubber that's there doesn't create a tight seal at all.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #7
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz1980 View Post
Not a bad idea, I'm going to try again removing the panel tonight but whether I do it or the dealer, I'm going to want some kind of foam or tape between the rubber and the panel because it looks like the just the rubber that's there doesn't create a tight seal at all.
I know you really would rather do it yourself, I would too but if you're saying the rubber seal isn't fitting properly, you might be getting water in there too. My vote is take it to the dealer....that's why you have that bumper to bumper warranty.
Good luck! Hope it's resolved quickly for you.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
take it to the dealer.

one, you'll get it fixed and two, the data will go back to GM to help make the design better.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I can't believe it took the long for someone to say it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I can't believe it took the long for someone to say it.
there are many valid reasons not to take it to a dealer. One you take it to a dealer and you get it scratched, or it gets dirty and you have to wait two hours for them to work on it for 10 minutes. When this can be fixed in five minutes by many of the ways that are talked about above.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:43 AM   #11
crankaholic

Home Depot (or any hardware store) sells foam weatherstrip tape... it's basically high-quality foam with a pre-glued side. Just pop the push-clips with a flat head screwdriver (hover your finger above the pin so it doesn't fly out), stick the tape along the rattling edge, and re-install the plastic shield. Do both sides just in case. No need to go to the dealer and problem solved.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
there are many valid reasons not to take it to a dealer. One you take it to a dealer and you get it scratched, or it gets dirty and you have to wait two hours for them to work on it for 10 minutes. When this can be fixed in five minutes by many of the ways that are talked about above.
I've fixed many BSR issues on my own with foam and tape. Not suggesting it's a bad thing. But if it's not a big annoyance, have it taken care of at the next oil change. Just suggesting taking parts off a car can be a bad thing if you aren't experienced. Also in this area of the car you have to be sure you aren't causing water to go somewhere it isn't supposed to go by using glue, silicon or foam tape.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
Glen e

Yes if I had the car in for an oil change I have them look at it. But it's an appearance cover. I would be not concerned at all that using a piece of foam tape to anchor down would completely destroy the water channeling ability of the part. That's common sense when you see the part. Too much paranoia and overthinking in my opinion. But it's my car that's what I do , you have to do what makes you feel comfortable
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Thanks for you research on the issue, I just took it to the dealership but they didn't find what you found and want me to bring it back in. Atleast now I can tell them what the issue is, Thanks