Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
RedRS

Drives: Red RS with black stripes
DRL's

OK guys, I'm brand new to the Gen 5 Camaros so I may be asking what sounds like some out of date questions here and there. I got a 2012 RS that has the halo headlights which I like but it has them old 70's looking yellowish DRL's. What I want is lights that will match the headlight color and that looks good. They do not have to be on when the headlights are on, just look bright for DRL's. I want good ones that I don't have to change every 6 mos. so I need to know WHERE and WHAT to get. Numbers would help. Thanks in advance!
RedRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I just changed my DRLs to 2SSRS's 11W 5K LED bulbs along with his harness from gen5diy.com

DRL Harness which allows your DRLs to be on with your headlights

PSX26W 11W 5k LED bulb

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
I bought the plasma DRLs from AAC. I don't have the part numbers but I think there is only one choice. That will match the factory headlights. When I got mine, I saw that the locking tab would not engage on the socket. I asked them about that and they said that's just the way it is. I have not had any issues but, for the price of those bulbs, they should fit like stock. The may have corrected that by now?

I just installed the DRL harness from Gen5DIY.com. 5 min install and it allows the DRL to stay on when the headlights come on. I highly recommend that. Should have come from the factory that way. I don't have a pic of that just yet but here's what the plasma bulbs look like.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Avoid buying from AAC and you should be ok. Just make sure the color temp is around 4300k
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
RedRS

Drives: Red RS with black stripes
DRL"s

That's what I'm looking for. What's up with AAC? Thanks a bunch!!
RedRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Doraemon

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT/RS
Another option is getting them from gen5diy.com. Ofer's a regular on here. I just installed mine this morning. Here's a comparison of the OEM and the P13W 7.5 watt 4300k
Attached Images

Doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRS View Post
AAC has some good products, but their warranty sucks. There are a lot of opinions on the forums here, but mine is plain and simple... I purchased some LED DRL's from them last October, but due to my work, it was two months before i was able to install them (The Fall is a busy season for me - 80 hour work weeks do that). When I went to install them in late November , one of the bulbs basically disintegrated in my hands as I was plugging it in. AAC would not do anything about it. They told me I had to have reported the issue within 30 days. What a bunch of crap. I've got a lot of AAC bulbs in my car, but this was my last experience with them and I won't go back now. I replaced my DRL's with ones from Gen5DIY and could not be happier with the result.
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
CliffjumperRS

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Check the vendor feedback forum. A lot of folks have had mixed results with their products. And those with (often expensive) misfortune with their products are often very vocal about them. But, tons of us have their stuff on our cars, partially because they are very involved on the forum and at one time the only option out there. As the 5th gen has been on the market, their competition has expectedly grown. Good for us because now we have options. AAC is pricey, but their warranty is pretty decent. I personally tried a couple of their small scale products, won't be purchasing from them again. I plan on doing DRL's in the future. I prefer the reputation that Ofer and his site at gen5diy.com have built. But honestly, take the time and review some of the product/vendor feedback. DRL LED upgrades are one of the most popular mods that are out there.
2010 1LT/RS GCN | Roto-Fab CAI | MRT V2.0 | Defenderworx: Chrome Shifter, Polished Door Kick Plates, Polished Door Sills, Black Side Vent Inserts, Chrome Bow Ties, Chrome Cup Holder Surround| GM: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Splash Guards, Wheel Mounted Audio Control, PDIM, 4 Gauge Cluster, Footwell & Cupholder Lighting, Switchblade Silver Interior Trim Kit, Premium Floor Mats| Oracle: Aqua Blue Dome & Trunk LED's, Bright White Plate LED's | RS Chrome Valve Stem Caps | Shined by Adam's & Meguiar's
CliffjumperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
2SSRS Gen5dyi.com and Ofer are all the same person. I have no idea what his warranty is although he is very very easy to work with and can make anything you need electrical wise.

Oracle has lifetime warranty on theirs but I haven't seen them in 4300k which seems the best match.

I have/had Vleds and 1 is burnt out and not lifetime warranteed so I am looking again as well.

I would 100% go with Ofer's if he would confirm a warranty as I know they all break, they are all made in china I just ain't buying new ones every 6 months and not getting a batch of 1000 direct from china to get the unit cost down either.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I had posted something on the vendor feedback forum recently about my experience with AAC even though I bought my bulbs a while ago. CliffjumperRS had basically the same experience I had. I was about to spend a lot of money with them but the conversations I had with them pre-sale made me uneasy as it sounded like I was not being given straight answers. I ended up just buying my plasma DRLs along with my LED trunk and dome light. I figured I wouldn't have that much trouble. Like I said earlier, the DRL bulb fittment really hacked me off because of the price. No more AAC for me.