Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
ddck24

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th M6
Wanting to up the power on ECS

I am going to go ahead with meth injection kit and wanting another 100hp.. Suggestions? Benefits of taking out restrictor plate and/or pulley swap?
Car is an m6 with 4.11s and full exhaust no cats.
Thanks in advance.

Also: any body got an opinion on the alcohol injections systems meth kit??
ddck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Alky Control make a great kit

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
meth is a good option if you aren't willing to do a real fuel system honestly. I am never a fan of relying on meth to make the added power. You can put all the safety parameters you want on it but you still are relying on it to work and even if you tune for the iat sensor to adjust they just don't react fast enough even w/ the omega upgrade. that's just an honest opinion from a shop that builds a lot of very high hp lsx cars.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I'm a fan of meth, and have an alky control kit. My car is tuned to run on 91 with no meth, 11.4 afr and safe timing. Meth richens it up to 10.5 or so, and I only add timing if IATs are below 50F. It basically just keeps the car in the 60-90 IAT range which gets max timing so it doesn't have to pull timing for high IATs.

That being said, without knowing your mods who knows what could add 100hp. I would do a nice blower cam and just a little more boost. You can get 100hp easy that way and no need to mess with anything.

Last edited by Unreal; 05-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Taking the restrictor plate out would help, but you would be putting your motor at risk if you don't have the supporting mods like a good fuel pump. A cam would also be really beneficial. Over the winter I did a cam swap, and fuel system, to include injectors, and I picked up over 125hp.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
That plate is there to give you good low end power and to keep you from over boosting at hight RPMs. 10psi seems to be a good lvl for a Stock block.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddck24 View Post
I am going to go ahead with meth injection kit and wanting another 100hp.. Suggestions? Benefits of taking out restrictor plate and/or pulley swap?
Car is an m6 with 4.11s and full exhaust no cats.
Thanks in advance.

Also: any body got an opinion on the alcohol injections systems meth kit??
If you add just methanol kit, and keep the boost the same I'd expect around a 25-30rwhp increase (Remember you will have to retune for the addition of Alky kit, so you may want to do some extras like a cam or what-not at same time if you are retuning already).

As a few said, you can add a cam and gain a decent amount of HP/TQ (~60-70ish). Depending on your current fuel modifications, if its the ECS BAP and Mototron 60lb injectors you should be able to have enough fuel to support the cam addition.

However, if you want to go bigger...

You can keep the pulley that is on there, remove the restrictor. IF you are looking to take the plate out, you can do so only following some fueling parameters. I would recommend:

Fuel Pump - Livernois, LPE, ADM, or Squash. No ZL1

Alky Control Methanol Kit designed for ECS Kit - There is a purpose built Alky Control kit that Tommy @ ECS came up with that we had Julio @ Alky package for us at the time. These kits run a bit more than the STD Alky kit but they fit perfectly for the ECS kit.

Injectors - ID-850 at least.

This combination will be good for without a cam somewhere in the 680-720rwhp (Depending on weather). Add the cam, and you can play in the 760-800rwhp range.

This, coupled with the proper tune, and using good octane at track or street events will keep the motor together.

If you have questions let me know.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Well said Matt!
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Supercharging View Post
Well said Matt!
Thanks guys.. for some information I just bumped the post I made a few years ago while I was at ECS... It's called "The "Five" HP/TQ Levels of the ECS Supercharger Systems".

Remember for safe operation of levels 3+, you will need proper fueling on top of the base kit.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
ddck24

Nice! Thank you for the reply Matt. Now with the options at hand, would you recommend upping the fuel system, alky and no plate? Or alky and cam and current ecs fuel system? for just the occasional street pulls and random few trips to the track? Motor longevity is probably biggest concern while getting more reliable horsepower. Car is parked in the garage and want to keep it forever more than likely...
Car has base ecs kit, 1 7/8th headers, no cats and American thunder cat back.. Oh and 4.11s in the rear
Thanks you all!!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Chris82xx

Alky and cam would be the best of the two for longevity. If anything, upgrade the injectors. Removing the plate would up the boost, but put your motor at risk. If you really want to put the money into the fuel, upgrade the pump too. Look into a twin pump. If you want more power later down the line, at least you'll be set up with fuel already.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
ddck24

Yeah I like the thoughts of a cam. Would love that raspy idle to her too... Any cams out there standing above the rest price/performance? Springs and cam combo would be nice don't wanna round up a lot of different parts if u know what I mean..
Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Chris82xx

Since you already have the ECS S/C, it would just make sense to use one of their blower cams. Cams will vary on specs., but overall the prices are relatively the same. Whatever shop you have do the install would be smart enough to change out the springs. Of coarse there's a separate charge for the springs. They may be more partial to springs they like, so it would probably be best that wherever you buy your cam from, work a deal to get a good price on springs too.

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddck24 View Post
Yeah I like the thoughts of a cam. Would love that raspy idle to her too... Any cams out there standing above the rest price/performance? Springs and cam combo would be nice don't wanna round up a lot of different parts if u know what I mean..

ECS has a small and big blower cams for this application. Depending on what kind of idle you are looking for. These cams were designed specifically for Centri-FI kits, the lobe makes great power without being real aggressive on the valvetrain components.

I can put together a package for you with all components, you will have to double check pushrod length size but we can send out a set of 16 pushrods to start with, and swap them if we need.

Big Blower Cam (11 Camaro - Best E/T 9.87 @ 136.5 Stock Bottom End)

Small Blower Cam (03 Vette - Best E/T 9.39 @ 148 Stock Bottom End)