Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
Jonesm24

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red convertible
No good new top....

Ok, so I took my 2012 vert in to get a new top installed. I am out of warranty but only have 27,xxx miles on it. The dealer says GM will help me out with it, but not cover 100% even though they are aware of the major issues. My old top had a couple small holes and a bunch of wear marks on it. I was told it was gonna cost me $750 and a new updated top would be installed as GM would eat the rest. I should also state that no one told me that they were going to hire out the work to be done. Anyways, we made an appointment for May 10th and was told 3 days it should be done. Well, after many calls and many hoops I get my car returned to me on May 28th. I complained about the length of time and such and the manager knocked $300 off. So now it's costing me $450... Anyways, when I pick up the car, right away I notice that I have strings hanging down on the drivers side and passenger side, and there's a bunch of metal shavings all over the interior and on the framework of the top once folded back. Ok, no biggie. I asked service person to document the hanging strings and mess of shavings. After having the car back for 3 days, and putting the top up and down 4 times, I now have an annoying squeak while driving coming from the plastic part that the handle is attached to to unlatch top on drivers side. Strings and showing severe wear and 1 string has snapped. A fabric strap has ripped out, the top is waayyyy more bulky at the back when folded down, and the driver side is peeling back near the small rear window. Honestly I am very concerned and this top look like SHI@!! I'll attach some pics, and if anyone has any advice or someone who can help me resolve this is really appreciate it. The installer wants me to bring back my car next week but I really don't have any faith in him now. Is there a dealer who specializes in this work who don't hire it out??
Attached Images

Jonesm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Jonesm24

Pics

Pic
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Jonesm24

Another

Pic2
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Jonesm24

Again

Pic3
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Wow. What a mess. I would call Chevy customer service and open a case. Move on to another dealer regardless that this one did the work. Is pic 3 with the top up?

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Jonesm24

Pic 3 is with the top just a little over half up. But it just shows how bad the canvass is packed away. I'll try calling customer service tomorrow and hopefully get something going. Really disappointed. What's really a bummer is so many people here have great things to say about the dealer and I'm not so sure anymore... Wish me luck I guess..
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Dealer sent it out 3rd party, they are liable to make it right as they accepted the burden for a quality repair (at least in PA). You press hard enough, and it'll get replaced. Might require an attorney, but hopefully you won't get to that stage.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
68rssscamaro

Maybe have the installer check out this site, and maybe they can learn a few things.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410133

Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
68rssscamaro

Dealer subbed to 3rd party-they are paying them for the work. Start at the dealer you went to.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Where are you at in Michigan? I have been talking to Rinke Chevrolet in Warren and they told me they send all their top work to Shelby Trim. I have had work done at Shelby before and they are one of the best shops around.

That being said, I wouldn't abandon your original dealer. It is still their issue to fix at this point.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #11
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
When I took mine to the dealers, they said they had someone who came in and worked on tops. They did not do the work with their techs. Their normal top guy had never done a Camaro so I asked if I could look around. I found a shop that specialized in tops and they had done 3 other Camaros. The dealership agreed for me to take the top and car to the shop and they would pay them (mine was still under warranty). The shop did a great job on mine. They adjusted it properly and only took 2 days. Mine has been good for 3 years now.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Have patience and go back to the dealer.
my 2¢
Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Jonesm24

I went to the dealer yesterday and they said they still had a ticket out in it. I did schedule an appt to go see the installer this coming Monday. I also contacted Chevrolet customer care today and expressed my concerns. They did write it up and contacted dealer to reiterate my concerns. It does sound as if it will be handled appropriately. I'm just worried because I love his car and plan to keep it for years to come. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update when I have some more info.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #14
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
When I took mine to the dealers, they said they had someone who came in and worked on tops. They did not do the work with their techs. Their normal top guy had never done a Camaro so I asked if I could look around. I found a shop that specialized in tops and they had done 3 other Camaros. The dealership agreed for me to take the top and car to the shop and they would pay them (mine was still under warranty). The shop did a great job on mine. They adjusted it properly and only took 2 days. Mine has been good for 3 years now.
THIS! Dealers don't work on our tops and they farm out the work. Do some homework to find a quality upholstery/convertible top shop in your area. Call them and find out how many Camaro tops they've done and check reviews. Many unhappy vert owners want to blame the dealer when its the shops fault. Early on when our cars were new nobody knew how to work on them but now that they've been around awhile you should be able to find a reputable shop. I called the shop my dealer used before my top install. The owner knew all about the top TSBs and all the issues GM was having with them, and he had done many tops already. I'm very happy with the top replacement. **** make sure you get a two year component letter to extend the warranty of the top and all related parts! Don't take no for an answer! ***** Good luck!