Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-05-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
jeffm4688

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
clutch replacement

Does anyone here hate the stock clutch on their 1LE? I have driven my fair share of manuals but this is the first one I have owned and have a significant amount of seat time in (around 5000 miles now) and I just can't get to liking the clutch in this car. I have already pulled the clutch spring from the pedal assembly and that did help with feel but I'm not fully satisfied. Most people I've let drive it dislike it.

Has anyone replaced the stock clutch in their car with something that will hold slightly more power and has a lighter clutch feel? My car only has 10k miles on it currently but I'm thinking I want to replace the clutch before I do heads/cam to something that will hold a little more power(500rwhp) and have a lighter feel.
2018 M2 Exec - Current

Last edited by jeffm4688; 03-06-2020 at 02:08 AM.
jeffm4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I never had a problem with mine, daily driver for about 40K miles before my latest adventure. I just ordered a Monster LT1-S Organic Triple Disc Clutch for the new build so I'll be able to tell you how they compare once I'm back on the road.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Mine is also just fine ,with no problems . I will tell you that this car will be my last car with a clutch, todays auto's have reached a point where they preform better than a stick.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
What vehicle clutches are you comparing the heaviness to? By most comparisons the LS3 clutch is not a very heavy clutch pedal at all.

Many aftermarket clutches will have a heavier pedal if the holding torque is higher. If you are comparing the clutch pedal feel to smaller engine cars they are lighter pedals mostly because they don't hold as much power. Therefore they do not need as much clamping force on the pressure plate to create more friction. Higher clamping force means more force required to disengage the pressure plate which means a heavier pedal.

I had a 2002 Camaro SS with a Monster clutch in it and that pedal would push you back into your seat. Also when I drove the Challenger Hellcats at Bondurant their clutch pedals are heavier than an LS3 is as well. When I got in my car the first time after driving the Hellcats I thought the clutch pedal was too light!

Now I have a Monster LT1-S clutch in my 2013 1LE and that pedal feels identical to stock in terms of how heavy it is. If I didn't tell someone it was aftermarket I don't think they would be able to tell the difference between stock and the aftermarket Monster LT1-S.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
My original Clutch always grabbed near the very top of the pedal travel. I replaced it with the Monster Clutch only because the bushing melted in my Slave Cylinder and I figured that since I had the transmission out I might as well replace the Clutch. Since then the Clutch grabs right in the middle of the pedal travel and the Pedal effort is no different from the original. I like it much better.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
jeffm4688

I'm not having a clutch problem mechanically, just a complaint on how difficult it is to engage/disengage and really the overall inconsistency with it. It likes to spring up almost which can make driving smoothly difficult, yet when I want to romp on it I have no issues. Part of my issue is I wear a prosthesis (above the knee) on my left.

I had the opportunity to drive an M2 earlier and I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges but for a car that has a very similar amount of power(405 vs 425) the clutch is butter smooth, although it has a little bit long of a throw.

I spoke with a company about replacing my clutch and I was informed it might be possible that my clutch master has been replaced which would stiffen my clutch. I might drive another 5th gen SS out of curiosity.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
jeffm4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Phemus

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 1LE
Not sure if you are comparing your 1LE to some earlier vehicle you had, or if this is your first manual. As someone who learned to shift a ‘55 CHEVY, 3 on the tree, at the ripe old age of 12, I LOVE my 1LE and the way it shifts. To be honest, I can’t imagine a car being easier to drive smoothly. I’m “assuming” that all 5th Gen 1LEs require that you shift more deliberately into 2nd gear. It is automatic to me now. My 2014 1LE with SLP 2300 Supercharger and Longtubes is my daily and I’ve put over 70K on it...
How does disconnecting the clutch spring make the pedal feel? I would think it would be “weird” or sloppy.
Phemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Mine has around 68K miles and I'm pretty sure it's the original stock clutch. I daily drive mine in heavy SoCal traffic.
Apart from the annoyance of having to use the clutch so frequently, the actual operation of it is fine to my feel, and I've driven a lot of manual trans cars over the years.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:16 AM   #9
BAH2SS
Stigs Bahraini Cousin

The clutches on LS3 are the exact ones from LS7 so they will hold up to 550 whp with no issues (based on a Z06 with stock clutch daily driven with weekend races).

I dont know why people don't like the 1LE clutch feel, to me it is the exact same feel as the non 1LE models.

I have placed an order on Lingenfelter Clutch Pedal Return Kit and already flushed the clutch fluid with DOT4 (which made a huge change). After the flush it does feel different, there is more resistance to the clutch like the return force is stronger.

the reason behind doing all that is because DOT3 has lower boiling point and it was already burnt and was causing the pedal to stick down about 50%.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
I had/sold a 2010 SS and really kinda hated the clutch. It felt very inconsistent to me, grabbed too high and I didn't like the springy/recoil feel it had. That being said, I don't think I drove it often enough to really get used to it, when I sold it I averaged under 2k miles a year.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Once you swap out the stock clutch you will realize how much the factory piece sucks.

I went with the Spec stage 2.... very happy with it
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #12
Ammo_Don

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemus View Post
Not sure if you are comparing your 1LE to some earlier vehicle you had, or if this is your first manual. As someone who learned to shift a ‘55 CHEVY, 3 on the tree, at the ripe old age of 12, I LOVE my 1LE and the way it shifts. To be honest, I can’t imagine a car being easier to drive smoothly. I’m “assuming” that all 5th Gen 1LEs require that you shift more deliberately into 2nd gear. It is automatic to me now. My 2014 1LE with SLP 2300 Supercharger and Longtubes is my daily and I’ve put over 70K on it...
How does disconnecting the clutch spring make the pedal feel? I would think it would be “weird” or sloppy.
The spring makes the top half of the pedal travel harder to push(to return pedal quickly to the top) and easier to push at the bottom half(easier to press all the way down)

Basically the spring pushes the pedal away from the "middle" of the clutch pedal travel. I took my spring out and u can actually feel the clutch.
Ammo_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
BLCKJACK

Drives: 2015 BLCK 2SS/RS 1LE
Replacement 1LE Clutch

I am deciding on a twin disk clutch upgrade and have already decided I want to put an aluminum flywheel in with it. I have heard very good things about the Mcleod RST and RXT twin disk kit for the 5th gen. Has anyone put one of these kits in with a true aluminum flywheel (not just putting the Mcleod adapter plate onto stock steel flywheel)? How does it compare to the stock clutch pedal feel and how different does the drivetrain act with less rotational weight?
2015 Black 1LE, COMP 54-454-11 Camshaft, Johnson short travel lifters, BTR .660 dual vlv springs, COMP Max-Lift BSR Shaft Rockers, CAI intake, APEX racing scoop/washer reloc kit, FAST 102 LSXR intake ported by Vengeance Racing, Nick Williams 102mm TB, GM Perf CNC ported heads, Stainless Power Long Tube headers, Fluidampr 25% underdrive balancer, Elite E2 catch can, dynotuned by DTP Racing 525 RWHP/495 TQ, Ghosted Oracle sidemarkers
BLCKJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
There is a clutch pedal TSB for our cars. I had it done about 4 years ago. They replaced the entire clutch assembly. It removed the strange two-stage clutch actuation and replaced it with a very linear feel.

I daily drive my 1LE so getting used to the two-stage setup was easy, but will readily admit that the linear setup is nicer and easier to manipulate.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote