Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I've said it before and I'll say it again, factory installed aftermarket parts with powertrain warranties are the future of high performance pony cars. When CAFE standards become so restrictive that it's hard to make a 400+hp standard, stock vehicle, you offer aftermarket equipment with a warranty for a decent price and everyone has it installed by their dealer.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
At least a what... $5K option?
I would be shocked to see it that low. Factory accessories are always waaaay overpriced.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Eventually these HP wars will have to stop, right....right?!?
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
At least a what... $5K option? Plus, I'm assuming they'll have to upgrade the suspension by then as well. Regardless, sounds very interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
While I think that's SUPER COOL, if it's not installed at the factory, it's not quite the same thing. Additionally, there's more to ZL1 than power and you guys with the white hats better hope MOPAR does something about that, too, otherwise it'll be like the older GT500 and won't turn too well. That GT500 continues to improve also so an SC isn't going to level the field...

Still - I think the competition stepping up is a great thing
The suspension will not need to be upgraded. All of the 2012 SRT8 LX cars come with a new electronically controlled suspension, including the Challenger. They also already have stronger brakes than their Camaro and Mustang couterparts.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Bolting on a supercharger on the Hemi with cast pistons, through a brand new transmission and trying to put the power down with 255 wide tires...... Yup nothing can go wrong there lol. But it is the thought that counts.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The suspension will not need to be upgraded. All of the 2012 SRT8 LX cars come with a new electronically controlled suspension, including the Challenger. They also already have stronger brakes than their Camaro and Mustang couterparts.
Stronger brakes than the mustang perhaps ( 4 pot brembos in front, that's it). But not the camaro ( 14"/14.4 with four piston at all four corners.)
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
To me this looks like another half ditch effort by dodge to suck in die heart mopar fan boys to spend even more money for an overall inferior product. The GT500 and the up and coming ZL1 are more cars than power alone. If they really want to complete with them, they need a factory car with less weight ,more power(550 to 570 isn't going to cut in the current challenger), and a much better suspension and steering packing. The bad thing is even if they build such a car it will cost upwards of 80grand or better knowing dodge.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #22
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Stronger brakes than the mustang perhaps ( 4 pot brembos in front, that's it). But not the camaro ( 14"/14.4 with four piston at all four corners.)
When Motor trend tested the 11 GT, 10 SS, and 10 SRT8, they actually tested the amt of force the brakes actually apply and the brakes themselves were quite a bit stronger on the Challenger than the other 2.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #23
Stew

Quote:
Bolting on a supercharger on the Hemi with cast pistons, through a brand new transmission and trying to put the power down with 255 wide tires...... Yup nothing can go wrong there lol. But it is the thought that counts.
If it is from the factory, I am sure the internals will be upgraded. the brakes, steering, and suspension are already up to the task, and BMW and Audi already use this very transmission in their high performance vehicles. So, no, there really isn't much that could go wrong.

motorhead, I would seriously doubt it being anywhere near that much, maybe 5 grand more, which would price it along with the GT500 and ZL1
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #24
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
I love that dodge but they got to do it on the Jeeps too!! I want one of those!!

But I Love the competition!!! After Ford comes
Out with their new GT500 I'm sure chevy will have some extra goodies on their Camaros not to mention the upcoming corvette

Ahhh best Muscle Car Era

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Sweet! Im glad Dodge is helping out the Challenger. I really hope this boosts their sales.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
If it is from the factory, I am sure the internals will be upgraded. the brakes, steering, and suspension are already up to the task, and BMW and Audi already use this very transmission in their high performance vehicles. So, no, there really isn't much that could go wrong.

motorhead, I would seriously doubt it being anywhere near that much, maybe 5 grand more, which would price it along with the GT500 and ZL1

I agree with a power upgrade alone it will be right around a GT500 but that's not the whole package. If their steering and suspension are so up to task well then, why can't the current SRT8 even compete with a GT mustang on road course?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #27
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I agree with a power upgrade alone it will be right around a GT500 but that's not the whole package. If their steering and suspension are so up to task well then, why can't the current SRT8 even compete with a GT mustang on road course?

2012 SRTs haven't been put on a roadcourse yet. FYI, the Challenger got a heavily retuned suspension for 11, for 12 it gets another suspension upgrade with the multimode electronic suspension from the Charger and 300. As for keeping up with the Mustang, simple, same reason a Camaro can't on a twisty roadcourse, WEIGHT!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Unless MOPAR's suspension is superior to that one finds on ZR1 and CTS-V, and does something about the weight, it will need that suspension to remain competitive, not necessarily be superior. Weighing a lot more than the GT500 is going to require the best active handling money can buy. Regarding the brakes, I haven't found 6-pot calipers yet...

Quote:
^^^ This ^^^ Unless it has 4-pots on all four corners, and equally large rotors, I'm not completely certain about the earlier comments by the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
To me this looks like another half ditch effort by dodge to suck in die heart mopar fan boys to spend even more money for an overall inferior product. The GT500 and the up and coming ZL1 are more cars than power alone. If they really want to complete with them, they need a factory car with less weight ,more power(550 to 570 isn't going to cut in the current challenger), and a much better suspension and steering packing. The bad thing is even if they build such a car it will cost upwards of 80grand or better knowing dodge.
Maybe. I think it's cool, but unless they are going through the motor with pistons and such, it just sounds like a half-@$$ effort. We'll see though. I'll say again that I like the competition.

Quote:
When Motor trend tested the 11 GT, 10 SS, and 10 SRT8, they actually tested the amt of force the brakes actually apply and the brakes themselves were quite a bit stronger on the Challenger than the other 2.
If it doesn't stop any better I don't see the point. It's a heavier car so it's going to need stronger brakes, but the rest of the chassis has got to be able to make the friction to use the brakes.

Quote:

We'll see.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote