Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
V6 Clutch Wear Questions

A few months back I purchased a 2012 V6 LS with the 6spd manual transmission. My questions are with the clutch operation:

1. How long do the clutches typically last on this model of Camaro? I am the 3rd owner, the second owner had the car 4 years and put 25,000 miles on it, the car nows has 60,000 miles.

2. I have never owned a hydraulic clutch car. This clutch seems like it engages high (late). You start feeling the clutch engage at about after 60% pedal travel. Is this normal for these cars to behave this way?

3. How do I know if the clutch needs replacing? The clutch does not make noise, no chatter at engagement. It does release high but I have never heard it slip. If I accelerate hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th there is a slight metallic smell and was not sure if this was a hot exhaust component or clutch.

I wish there was a definitive way to evaluate clutch wear on these cars. I am considering taking the car for a clutch replacement at the dealer and I am sure that won't be cheap.

Any suggestions from personal experience with the V6 manual transmission Camars would be appreciated.

Thanks.
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
Kaylakms

Drives: 2016 LGX
Mine went out at 110k, if you have a lift or a friend that has a lift it's not nearly as pricey as the 2200 they wanted for clutch replacement, LUK kit cost me like 600 or 530$ cant remember, then i had to buy coolant, aside from that, follow the usual tips on not slipping ur clutch, my first warning that something was wrong was the clutch pedal sticking to the floor, then it was slight noise, i could hear it well in a place with walls beside the car, throwout completely failed

Answer to no2: yes its normal, thats about where my new clutch engages at

No3: not sure what the smell could be, but i never smelled anything from hard acceleration on mine, first thing i would do is get near the rims and see if its the breakpads making the smell, if not it could be the clutch, i would hope u know what clutch smells like, other than that there is no way to tell if its time to replace, if it starts slipping, then take it to get replaced

Last edited by Kaylakms; 10-05-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Kaylakms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
SuperSportCamaro
Banned

Drives: chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by trossit View Post
A few months back I purchased a 2012 V6 LS with the 6spd manual transmission. My questions are with the clutch operation:

1. How long do the clutches typically last on this model of Camaro? I am the 3rd owner, the second owner had the car 4 years and put 25,000 miles on it, the car nows has 60,000 miles.

2. I have never owned a hydraulic clutch car. This clutch seems like it engages high (late). You start feeling the clutch engage at about after 60% pedal travel. Is this normal for these cars to behave this way?

3. How do I know if the clutch needs replacing? The clutch does not make noise, no chatter at engagement. It does release high but I have never heard it slip. If I accelerate hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th there is a slight metallic smell and was not sure if this was a hot exhaust component or clutch.

I wish there was a definitive way to evaluate clutch wear on these cars. I am considering taking the car for a clutch replacement at the dealer and I am sure that won't be cheap.

Any suggestions from personal experience with the V6 manual transmission Camars would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pedal height is no indication. Slippage is. Step into while banging gears. If slipping you will hear the engine rev but not feel the car move out as it should because the clutch is slipping.
SuperSportCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote