Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Whipple 2.9 Kit

Let me start by saying I love my cam car, I really do..... but my ultimate goal is supercharged. My car is not a daily driver, so drivability is definitely not an issue.

Anyone have experience with the Whipple 2.9? How do you like it? Got a blower cam with it? Rwhp? Do the install yourself? Stock bottom end? How many miles on the kit?

Currently my car has long tubes, CAI, the TSP 235/239 cam, and Valvetrain upgrades along with oil pump and timing upgrade. I would probably go 8rib if there's an option, my setup realistically won't be radical because I don't want to build the tranny and rear as well.

Basically my goal is anything close to 600rwhp, but if that means 12+ lbs of boost I'll settle around 560-580. I'll be doing a cam swap with a TSP blower cam, and I'll end up changing the rockers with the CHE bushings, but aside from that I'd like to just have bolt-on kit and no major motor. Meth is a possibility, but that would be later down the road.

Thanks for any input, sincerely,
Guy bit by mod bug.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The Whipple will take you to 600 rwhp no problem. You probably already have everything you need to get there with the Whipple.

Get the tuner kit. Some ID850 injectors. A ZL1 pump with ADM FPCM. A tune. And get ready for 600+ to the wheels.

Not even sure you need to change the cam. What are your specs on it?
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
UNRIVALED SS

Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
Smart realistic goals

I think you have some really smart realistic goals. Keep it at 600-625 and it'll last and be fun to drive. You can always expand out later but that will be fun for a long time.

From what I`ve seen the whipple is a great product that will make 600 on the wheels real easy. Take the previous advice on the fuel and don`t worry about a thing.

I have a tvs2300 but have heard nothing but great things about whipple and I`m sure you`ll be happy with it. You have the right idea.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Gearheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
The Whipple will take you to 600 rwhp no problem. You probably already have everything you need to get there with the Whipple.

Get the tuner kit. Some ID850 injectors. A ZL1 pump with ADM FPCM. A tune. And get ready for 600+ to the wheels.

Not even sure you need to change the cam. What are your specs on it?
The cam is a 235/239 .623/.619 111LSA shelf cam from Texas speed. Basically I was looking at the duration of the cam, and really it's ideal for NA. The blower cam setups have a much different duration it seems. My goal is great HP without fly-cutting pistols, and only spending maybe 400$ on the cam swap as I have all the other parts already swapped for performance. I could do the cam swap in about 3 hours since everything else is already done.

I'm not looking to set records, I just want some more power. Right now the car makes 481hp/440tq on the cam swap, and while that is really fun, I want more lol. I'd rather not build the bottom end, which is why I asked the reliability questions.

Thanks for the tips, the kit comes with injectors and a fuel pump booster, but if a ZL1 pump is the better route from a reliability stand point, I'd go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
I think you have some really smart realistic goals. Keep it at 600-625 and it'll last and be fun to drive. You can always expand out later but that will be fun for a long time.

From what I`ve seen the whipple is a great product that will make 600 on the wheels real easy. Take the previous advice on the fuel and don`t worry about a thing.

I have a tvs2300 but have heard nothing but great things about whipple and I`m sure you`ll be happy with it. You have the right idea.
Thanks! How do you like the TVS? I'll ask you the same questions as my OP
Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
The Whipple is great, speaking from personal experience. I have a 2012 Camaro SS, LS3. I am running the LS9 cam, as i blew my budget on the blower and ZL1 fuel pump and ADM FPCM. The rotating assembly, lifters, and springs are all factory LS3 pieces. I did not utilize the fuel pump booster. I have LT headers, and full 3" exhaust. On Whipple's canned tune, with the 4" supplied pulley, the car made 550RWHP. I had a custom dyno tune performed, to take advantage of the LS9 cam, as Whipple's tune was for a stock motor. The custom dyno tune resulted in 600RWHP, 550RWTQ at roughly 9psi. I have since dropped to a 3.75" pulley, and am currently making 650RWHP/565RWTQ at 11psi. I have been running the stock clutch and drive-train since I installed the Whipple, 28,000 miles ago, without a single issue...so far. The car is daily driven, and has been to the track a half dozen times or so.

I can't stress this enough...the TUNE is everything!!! A great tune will keep it safe, fun, and reliable for years to come.

Good luck!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
cc-rider

Since you've got headers and a cam...trust me...the stock SS pump will not be good enough. Even with a BAP. Search here on this forced induction sub forum about fuel and BAP's. Some good discussion lately. So I won't repeat. But the bottom line is that BAP's don't with all that well with FPCM controlled pumps. The injectors that come with the kit will likely work if you upgrade the pump though.

You're probably smart to change the cam. Sounds like you are comfortable there and know what you are doing.

Keep asking questions. Your're on the right track.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
................My goal is great HP without fly-cutting pistols.............
I'm not looking to set records, I just want some more power. Right now the car makes 481hp/440tq on the cam swap, and while that is really fun, I want more lol. I'd rather not build the bottom end, which is why I asked the reliability questions.
Your car will take 800whp all day long without needing to forge your bottom end. Why do I bring this up?.....well you said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
I want more
Do yourself a favor, do the fuel once, don't skimp on it. You can search all over C5 and find a bunch of Whipple owners, that have already answered the questions you have asked. Your not asking for too much now, but the question is will you be satisfied in a few months, or a year or two.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Op

Everything that comes with the standard 2.9 kit should meet your power goals. Switching to a FI cam will improve power too. I recently almost pulled the trigger on the same kit and was looking at 700whp with all my mods (current and parts supplied). Unfortunately the tax man comith and takith away.

I thought all 14-15 SS camaros came with a ZL1 pump stock? Also, your on barrowed time (depending on how you drive) with the stock clutch and diff with those power levels. If you can afford it, have a new clutch installed at the same time because it will save money and handle the power better.

Agreed with the tune. Make sure it's done by someone that knows what they are doing.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
Gearheaded

Thanks for the comments guys. I sell my race bike this weekend, so this kit should be coming soon.

I was actually looking into a ZL1 pump and a twin disc clutch. I definitely get some comfort knowing that a lot of guys have good mileage on these motors with the Whipple.

Now I just need to find out if the Twin Disc is a direct slap in, or if it requires anything extra.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
Do t forget to run methanol injection!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
williamp78

Drives: 2011 2ss blk/wht strp
I had good gains with bolting on the whipple, my cam is 112LSA so not in any way a blower cam. It was the stock whipple pulley i think maybe 8-9 psi

This is old and i am now 8xx on the stock bottom and untouched heads. No corn either
williamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I have several customers with the 2.9 Whipples. The only issues they have is slinging belts with the smaller pullies (and the tensioners sometimes break) and they are all switching to our 10 rib kit from the 6 rib, finishing up the whipple brackets now. They had no issues when running the 4" pullies. Otherwise, great blowers. Make a bunch of power. I may end up with a Whipple on my car after this TVS2300 runs out of breath.

Twin disc clutch should include everything you need, depending on brand. My Street Slayer required a very, very minor mod to the slave cylinder to allow for the aluminum bearing support and larger throwout bearing.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I made 650+rwhp on the 4.0 pulley that came with the kit and supplied injectors. I had long tube headers and a cam of course plus I went with ADM dual pumps. My point is the injectors will reach your goal but get either dual pumps or a ZL-1 pump for sure and you should be good to go. Install is a piece of cake. Get a good tune and enjoy, Whipple is a great blower and you should be fine on the 6rib unless you go with a real small pulley which you don't need to reach your goal.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #14
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I am at 13 psi with Meth and the LS9 cam and a whipple. Did not dyno but I am close to or over 700rwhp. I put on a 8 rib kit last year and it does great. 6 ribs did not like 13 psi. I am using a 3.625 pulley with IW 10% overdrive damper. Stock clutch is doing fine but I don't drag race it. It is a real fun car to drive.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote