Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Mashaustin10

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS
Lifter Tick?

Hi yall,
So picked up a 2013 1SS with 43k miles last month, bone stock other than a exhaust a cat back i think. I am noticing a ticking noise from the drivers side of the engine towards the firewall. Looking to get some peace of mind before beating the snot out of it. Its my only vehicle dealership said they did the oil before selling the car, but i am going to change that out and most of the other fluids in the next 2 weeks. Looks like original plugs as well. Do these cars have a mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay that may make the noise? I took it to one tech and he was kind enough not to charge me and just put his ear to it and tell me if i needed to bring it in or not and he stated it was fine. I hear this noise every time i start the car, after running and driving for a while. Just worried i bought a time bomb, i am probably a year or so out from doing cams/rockers/lifters etc. Would it be ok to drive on a ticking lifter at all (if that's the issue?), or is it a park it and fix type of issue? Appreciate yall reading the post sorry for the formatting.
Thanks!
Mashaustin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaustin10 View Post
Hi yall,
So picked up a 2013 1SS with 43k miles last month, bone stock other than a exhaust a cat back i think. I am noticing a ticking noise from the drivers side of the engine towards the firewall. Looking to get some peace of mind before beating the snot out of it. Its my only vehicle dealership said they did the oil before selling the car, but i am going to change that out and most of the other fluids in the next 2 weeks. Looks like original plugs as well. Do these cars have a mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay that may make the noise? I took it to one tech and he was kind enough not to charge me and just put his ear to it and tell me if i needed to bring it in or not and he stated it was fine. I hear this noise every time i start the car, after running and driving for a while. Just worried i bought a time bomb, i am probably a year or so out from doing cams/rockers/lifters etc. Would it be ok to drive on a ticking lifter at all (if that's the issue?), or is it a park it and fix type of issue? Appreciate yall reading the post sorry for the formatting.
Thanks!
There are several things that can make a ticking noise such as valvetrain, fuel injectors, or even a noisy purge valve. Without the car in front of me, I have no clue what it is. Do you trust the tech you took it to? Maybe take it to your dealer and get a second opinion. If you don't hear it or have to strain to hear it with the hood closed I'm going to bet it's normal valvetrain noise. And to answer your question, the fuel pump is electric and is located inside the fuel tank.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
There is a history of noisy lifters in the L99 engine, which is the engine with active fuel management (AFM) paired to the automatic transmission.

This problem usually manifests at startup, when lifters have leaked down and collapsed due to a design defect. The lifters were re-designed to address the problem, and I had mine replaced under warranty years ago.

Nevertheless, even when warmed up, the lifters are not silent, and seem prone to some sticking and ticking. It took over 40,000 miles for my new lifters to quiet down and now finally, the engine purrs like the old 350 in the 1970 Corvette I used to own.

As for fuel pump noise, that is a feature of engines with direct injection, which requires a high pressure pump in the engine bay. Gen 5 Camaro don't have that.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Mashaustin10

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
There is a history of noisy lifters in the L99 engine, which is the engine with active fuel management (AFM) paired to the automatic transmission.

This problem usually manifests at startup, when lifters have leaked down and collapsed due to a design defect. The lifters were re-designed to address the problem, and I had mine replaced under warranty years ago.

Nevertheless, even when warmed up, the lifters are not silent, and seem prone to some sticking and ticking. It took over 40,000 miles for my new lifters to quiet down and now finally, the engine purrs like the old 350 in the 1970 Corvette I used to own.

As for fuel pump noise, that is a feature of engines with direct injection, which requires a high pressure pump in the engine bay. Gen 5 Camaro don't have that.
I gotcha it is the LS3 it's a MT if that helps a bit. I know it's near impossible to make a judgement based off of text on a forum post. But with tucking is there anything I can do besides pulling a head? I've seen some guys spray chem tool down after the valve cover is off, atf fluid in oil for 100 miles etc. Just trying to stay away from snake oil. I can do work on the car just don't feel comfortable or have the space to pull a head off.
Mashaustin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaustin10 View Post
I gotcha it is the LS3 it's a MT if that helps a bit. I know it's near impossible to make a judgement based off of text on a forum post. But with tucking is there anything I can do besides pulling a head? I've seen some guys spray chem tool down after the valve cover is off, atf fluid in oil for 100 miles etc. Just trying to stay away from snake oil. I can do work on the car just don't feel comfortable or have the space to pull a head off.
Loud ticking noise you can hear even with the hood closed is cause for concern, however faint lifter noise observed with your head under the hood is perfectly normal on a LS3. I work on Corvettes at a Chevy dealer, and see this engine all the time.....I know.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Are the cast exhaust manifolds still on the car? Headers will allow more noise to be transmitted.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote