Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: What would you get?
Ford Focus RS 31 18.90%
Honda Civic Type R 22 13.41%
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (one of the final ones) 8 4.88%
Subaru STI 26 15.85%
Volkswagen Golf R 41 25.00%
Something else? 36 21.95%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #43
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I voted Golf R, but I've recently been impressed with the newer Mazda line-up (2017 CX-3 is pretty nice) and I do find the Cruze hatchback appealing. Not exactly "sport" compacts, but sporty compacts...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #44
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
CX-3 is trash imo. All those sub compact cuvs are. HRV, CHR, CX-3, etc.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #45
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I voted Golf R, but I've recently been impressed with the newer Mazda line-up (2017 CX-3 is pretty nice) and I do find the Cruze hatchback appealing. Not exactly "sport" compacts, but sporty compacts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
CX-3 is trash imo. All those sub compact cuvs are. HRV, CHR, CX-3, etc.
Thanks...not interested in any of the "sporty" compacts. Not in a situation that I need a pure commuter car (thankfully) and if I was, I think I would keep the Camaro and get either a Tesla Model 3 (whenever the hell they come out) or a Chevy Bolt.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #46
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
A little late responding to this but I just had to go through the same thought process back in Nov last year. I needed to get a car better on MPG as my ZL1 and 14 MPG was killing me as my dd.

Wasn't into the Euro sports car scene so I was a novice and never even knew what a Golf R was. Being well over 50, I didn't want a "boy racer" looks car. Once I started looking at the R and then test drove one - decision was made. It is the ultimate sleeper car w/surprising AWD performance and DSG transmission. I was able to fine a '16 Certified Pre Owned R w/3900 miles at a local VW dealer and made the deal. After 1 month of ownership, I did catch the mod bug (but only a little) and had a Unitronics Stage 1+ tune added to the car, then changed out the rims - but that's as far as I'm going with this. The car is amazing and really fun to drive - plus it will surprise a lot of other performance cars on the road.
Attached Images

Last edited by cal45; 07-09-2017 at 06:13 PM.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #47
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Congratz! You'll enjoy the ride. Those little things can really rip. Wait til you get your hands on the stage 2 afterwards
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #48
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
A little late responding to this but I just had to go through the same thought process back in Nov last year. I needed to get a car better on MPG as my ZL1 and 14 MPG was killing me as my dd.

Wasn't into the Euro sports car scene so I was a novice and never even knew what a Golf R was. Being well over 50, I didn't want a "boy racer" looks car. Once I started looking at the R and then test drove one - decision was made. It is the ultimate sleeper car w/surprising AWD performance and DSG transmission. I was able to fine a '16 Certified Pre Owned R w/3900 miles at a local VW dealer and made the deal. After 1 month of ownership, I did catch the mod bug (but only a little) and had a Unitronics Stage 1+ tune added to the car, then changed out the rims - but that's as far as I'm going with this. The car is amazing and really fun to drive - plus it will surprise a lot of other performance cars on the road.

Good choice! I have an S3 with a stage 1 tune and it's a beast off the line. Lots of turbo lag but it's a sweet car for sure. I wanted the Golf R but my wife doesn't like hatchbacks... great street cars!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #49
cal45

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Good choice! I have an S3 with a stage 1 tune and it's a beast off the line. Lots of turbo lag but it's a sweet car for sure. I wanted the Golf R but my wife doesn't like hatchbacks... great street cars!
Yeah - I also looked at the S3 but the cost was more than I was willing to spend plus the versatility of the hatchback sealed the deal. Surprising cargo room in these with seats folded down as I was able to fit a long coffee table and two tall bar stools w/backs in the car.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #50
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Yeah - I also looked at the S3 but the cost was more than I was willing to spend plus the versatility of the hatchback sealed the deal. Surprising cargo room in these with seats folded down as I was able to fit a long coffee table and two tall bar stools w/backs in the car.
I love that hatchback functionality too...if I had to move to one that would be a contributing factor to my decision.

However, now I am really considering an Audi RS3 (IF the need were to arise as per my OP). I could build it in a more conservative way that might not attract too much attention...at least from non-car-people.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #51
cal45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
I love that hatchback functionality too...if I had to move to one that would be a contributing factor to my decision.

However, now I am really considering an Audi RS3 (IF the need were to arise as per my OP). I could build it in a more conservative way that might not attract too much attention...at least from non-car-people.
The RS3 will be nice but I'm guessing the cost of it will be in ZL1 territory if the S3's are in the 50's.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #52
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
The Ford focus biggest problem is that the interior looks so cheap and plasticky. I just couldn't live with something like that.

If I had to play by the rules I'd probably pick the subaru but it's interior is starting to look dated. If I could bend the rules I'd be interested in one of those new Kia Stinger GT's coming out soon.
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #53
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
The RS3 will be nice but I'm guessing the cost of it will be in ZL1 territory if the S3's are in the 50's.
Yeah, you're pretty much going to be in the $60K range, as they aren't giving much/anything off of MSRP on these yet. I was looking at these, but went the more fun route than the practical route.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #54
YaBoyJordy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Golf R is probably the best daily driver out of all of the hot hatchbacks. For track duty the RS is king. However if you have to drive on actual roads the RS is probably to punishing to drive everyday.
YaBoyJordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #55
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
I've had an '08 VW R32 for over 90,000 miles now. It's been a great car. From what I read of the current R, it should be better in every way except for turbo lag, which is reportedly significant. Test drive it...
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #56
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
If I could bend the rules I'd be interested in one of those new Kia Stinger GT's coming out soon.
Bend away...nothing saying I can't go with a non-sport-compact. Moreso I would be aiming for a car that wasn't as outright flashy but still fast. That's why I gravitated towards sport-compacts. But you're right, the Stinger is shaping up to be a nice car and it certainly wouldn't attract the attention that I am trying to avoid.

Same argument I guess for the Dodge Charger and Chevy SS. One is extremely common and the other looks like a regular sedan.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2