Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Upgrading ss to z28 suspension and maybe further?

I managed to pick up a complete suspension front and rear Including the rear cradle and coil overs for my 2010 2ss rs. Got a great deal on it I think. I have never done up a suspension in any car let alone a 5th gen Camaro. So with that being said I have done quite some reading and from my understanding the factory z28 suspension is quite a very good setup as is. However on my end I intend on doing this installation myself for the experience and to do something new. I have a few questions.

1. I currently have a complete bmr suspension bushings kit. I have seen in other threads the z28 bushings are better then the ss bushings. But are they better then say the new bmr cradle bushings I have now? I also know there are solid bushings which have been suggested to me so I am assuming those are best? Who makes these?

2 I live in upstate ny winter and snow is an issue. I generally don’t drive in winter but I don’t exactly have a garage to keep it inside either so it parks in my driveway and I do move it from time to time just to keep things moving etc. I am considering coating the rear cradle possably with por15 or just simple undercoating to protect it. Would you guys suggest this. I don’t see where it would harm anything except maybe add some weight. But then again I am inexperienced in suspension work so?

3 before I found the z28 suspension I was considering getting bmr adjustable lower control arms, toe rods etc. just because I think it would be nice to be able to adjust it as needs may arise. What are your thoughts with still doing this? I know the z28 says and coil overs work together extremely well and intend on using the z28 coil overs but also considering the bmr adjustable sway bars. Thoughts on this?

Right now I am just in planning stages and may not do this right away. $ is tight but not a huge issue as I can take my time with this as my ss is drivable. Basically not upgrading to repair bad (broken) suspension. But I really don’t want to dig into this work more then once. So I want to figure out what will make me happy and get it done. My car I want to take turns as the saying goes like it’s on rails. There are plenty of curvy roads where I live But I don’t take my car to the track at all. Not that I wouldn’t want to but it’s not something I feel I would do consistently. Basically I don’t want to install the z28 stuff and feel like if I spent a few more $ on this or that it’ll handle better or I would have been better in the long run. So please feel free to give me some suggestions give me some criticism (I’m a big boy and can take it lol) I just want to do this once and do it right the first time.
Attached Images

2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Hey buddy, that is a nice setup you have there!

1.If you have the BMR suspension bushings already, go and put them in, but the Z28 stuff is great.

2. I live upstate(ish) NY myself. I daily drive my 2010 Camaro SS, in the snow and everything. I have 75,000 on it, bought it with 28,000. I can say that you don't have to worry about the cradle rusting, as it is very thick steel. I would worry more about the body seams where panels are welded together.
I did just have to deal with a rust issue I did not expect, and apparently it has happened to other people. The bolt for the rear lower control arm to the cradle, its an alignment bolt, needs grease on the shaft when you put it in. My original seized to the control arm and was causing alignment and ride issues.

3. As for the BMR adjustable parts, what is your intentions with this car? If you are going to put a lot of street miles on it, don't bother. You will be amazed with the Z28 parts. Stock parts are also designed for accidents, if someone hits you it crumples, preserving the rest of the car The adjustable stuff is so stiff it will transmit the impact into the rest of the car, causing more damage. Search this forum for Justice Pete, he talks a lot about this.

I have been upgrading my car to 1LE parts, so I have been researching Z28 and 1LE parts. My next project is those forward front lower control arms, the bushing in the Z28 is waay stiffer than my SS piece.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
Hey buddy, that is a nice setup you have there!

1.If you have the BMR suspension bushings already, go and put them in, but the Z28 stuff is great.

2. I live upstate(ish) NY myself. I daily drive my 2010 Camaro SS, in the snow and everything. I have 75,000 on it, bought it with 28,000. I can say that you don't have to worry about the cradle rusting, as it is very thick steel. I would worry more about the body seams where panels are welded together.
I did just have to deal with a rust issue I did not expect, and apparently it has happened to other people. The bolt for the rear lower control arm to the cradle, its an alignment bolt, needs grease on the shaft when you put it in. My original seized to the control arm and was causing alignment and ride issues.

3. As for the BMR adjustable parts, what is your intentions with this car? If you are going to put a lot of street miles on it, don't bother. You will be amazed with the Z28 parts. Stock parts are also designed for accidents, if someone hits you it crumples, preserving the rest of the car The adjustable stuff is so stiff it will transmit the impact into the rest of the car, causing more damage. Search this forum for Justice Pete, he talks a lot about this.

I have been upgrading my car to 1LE parts, so I have been researching Z28 and 1LE parts. My next project is those forward front lower control arms, the bushing in the Z28 is waay stiffer than my SS piece.
Yes I realize the cradle is big tough piece. But I figure considering I have it out and it is really easily accessible why not do a little preventative maintenance.

I have heard the z28 bushings are better then say what came in 10 ss but I haven’t seen much reference between the z28 bushings vs say bmr poly bushings. I have seen solid cradle bushings seem to be the hot ticket. I’m not against buying them. But what about the other bushings in my set for control arms etc?

Yeah I’ll be mostly street driving. That being said I am still on stock 20” rims and tires have zl1 brakes but once headers and suspension is done I intend on upgrading wheels/tire setup (mostly looks cosmetic). I am most likely not going to take my car to the track very often road course or drag racing. But I may give it a go once or twice for the experience and who knows maybe I’ll get hooked lol so being able to adjust the suspension for a race day here or there might not be a horrible thing. I also look at it as making my car that much further modified/valuable and would look good taking it to a show or two.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
Yes I realize the cradle is big tough piece. But I figure considering I have it out and it is really easily accessible why not do a little preventative maintenance.

I have heard the z28 bushings are better then say what came in 10 ss but I haven’t seen much reference between the z28 bushings vs say bmr poly bushings. I have seen solid cradle bushings seem to be the hot ticket. I’m not against buying them. But what about the other bushings in my set for control arms etc?

Yeah I’ll be mostly street driving. That being said I am still on stock 20” rims and tires have zl1 brakes but once headers and suspension is done I intend on upgrading wheels/tire setup (mostly looks cosmetic). I am most likely not going to take my car to the track very often road course or drag racing. But I may give it a go once or twice for the experience and who knows maybe I’ll get hooked lol so being able to adjust the suspension for a race day here or there might not be a horrible thing. I also look at it as making my car that much further modified/valuable and would look good taking it to a show or two.
Since you're gonna have the rear cradle out, I'd replace the rubber bushings with solids. That way, you will have the very best option when it comes to that setup.

The springs and sways work together on the Z28 suspension. If you run the stock 20's or get aftermarket cosmetic 20" wheels, you will lose a bit of the handling advantage that the OEM Z28 suspension offers.

The wheels on the Z28 are 19x11. If you don't go to at least a 11" wide wheel, it won't handle as good as a stock Z28. If you get 11's, then you will need the fender flares and the lower GFX that fit into them. However, if you don't mind the wheels sticking out from the body, then run them as is.

If it was me, I'd buy aftermarket sway bars and lowering springs. That way, you can dial in the amount of handling you want with the adjustable sways while retaining a better ride quality and a lower center of gravity from aftermarket lowering springs. You can keep the Mutimatics. Everything else like the OEM toe rods, control arms, ect, from the Z are good.

One thing I should mention is upgrading to the Z28 suspension will not increase the value of your car. In fact, it will do quite the opposite. So, I wouldn't worry about protecting or increasing value if you plan on modifying it.

Just my $.02.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Since you're gonna have the rear cradle out, I'd replace the rubber bushings with solids. That way, you will have the very best option when it comes to that setup.

The springs and sways work together on the Z28 suspension. If you run the stock 20's or get aftermarket cosmetic 20" wheels, you will lose a bit of the handling advantage that the OEM Z28 suspension offers.

The wheels on the Z28 are 19x11. If you don't go to at least a 11" wide wheel, it won't handle as good as a stock Z28. If you get 11's, then you will need the fender flares and the lower GFX that fit into them. However, if you don't mind the wheels sticking out from the body, then run them as is.

If it was me, I'd buy aftermarket sway bars and lowering springs. That way, you can dial in the amount of handling you want with the adjustable sways while retaining a better ride quality and a lower center of gravity from aftermarket lowering springs. You can keep the Mutimatics. Everything else like the OEM toe rods, control arms, ect, from the Z are good.

One thing I should mention is upgrading to the Z28 suspension will not increase the value of your car. In fact, it will do quite the opposite. So, I wouldn't worry about protecting or increasing value if you plan on modifying it.

Just my $.02.
This^^^^. And z28 shocks and springs will give a harsh ride on the street. Do not go to bigger bmr swaybars. The smaller z28 go with the stiffer springs and shocks.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Scooter18155

Quote:

Just my $.02.
I was saying the aftermarket adjustable lca’s etc would possably help value off the car not the z28 system.

If I’m not mistaken the springs shocks from the z28 give a 1” drop over the stock ss shocks/springs.

I originally (before the z28 suspension) was going to go with adjustable sways front and rear. I read in another thread that the z28 setup is stiffer coil spring setup and softer sways. Was concerned that even adjustable the softer setting might be to Too stiff for the shocks. If not the higher stiffness adjustments might be to stiff thus losing its adjustability if that makes sense?
Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
This^^^^. And z28 shocks and springs will give a harsh ride on the street. Do not go to bigger bmr swaybars. The smaller z28 go with the stiffer springs and shocks.
The harsher ride don’t bother me as much. And yeah the intent was to stick with the z28 sways (maybe aftermarket links though) and shocks/springs.

My concerns are the poly Bmr bushings replacing the z28 ones. I am definately going to look into solid bushings for cradle. And do I replace the control arms etc with aftermarket. I’m Kinda torn on the idea. Part of me says don’t bother but I don’t want to regret not doing so down the road.

The 19” rims though I’m not 100% on though as I have zl1 brakes up front and not sure 19” would clear the big brakes. Haven’t gotten that far into researching the wheels and tires yet. Not against going 11” wide rims but not huge fan of the z28 fender flares. I’d probably be more into something similar that is welded in doesn’t look bolted on but that is not something that is going to happen anytime soon. To me the z28 fender flares kinda make it look like bolted on aftermarket gimmickry for wider body. If gm wanted to make wider they shoulda done it naturally vs bolt on imo
Old 05-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Upgrading ss to z28 suspension and maybe further?

What are your goals for the car? Are you wanting to track it? If you’re just driving on the street, you aren’t going to notice any advantages bmr may have over z/28 or vice versa. If you’re planning on seriously tracking the car, your entire cooling and braking system is not adequate as the z/28 has significant upgrades in those areas that allow the car to run harder for longer than you’d be able to in your SS.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The harsher ride don’t bother me as much. And yeah the intent was to stick with the z28 sways (maybe aftermarket links though) and shocks/springs.

My concerns are the poly Bmr bushings replacing the z28 ones. I am definately going to look into solid bushings for cradle. And do I replace the control arms etc with aftermarket. I’m Kinda torn on the idea. Part of me says don’t bother but I don’t want to regret not doing so down the road.

The 19” rims though I’m not 100% on though as I have zl1 brakes up front and not sure 19” would clear the big brakes. Haven’t gotten that far into researching the wheels and tires yet. Not against going 11” wide rims but not huge fan of the z28 fender flares. I’d probably be more into something similar that is welded in doesn’t look bolted on but that is not something that is going to happen anytime soon. To me the z28 fender flares kinda make it look like bolted on aftermarket gimmickry for wider body. If gm wanted to make wider they shoulda done it naturally vs bolt on imo
Yeah, any aftermarket bars are stiffer then z28. Z28 front bar is25mm, rear is 26. Now that would give you understeer on a normal ss, but the rest of the suspension and z28 tire sizes help negate that. Why package works as a unit. Also the tru track type diff likes a smaller rear bar as it gets power to the ground in turns way better.

Alot to consider
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
An keep the upper control arm rear mount bushing they’ll be about the best you can get.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
I was saying the aftermarket adjustable lca’s etc would possably help value off the car not the z28 system.

If I’m not mistaken the springs shocks from the z28 give a 1” drop over the stock ss shocks/springs.

I originally (before the z28 suspension) was going to go with adjustable sways front and rear. I read in another thread that the z28 setup is stiffer coil spring setup and softer sways. Was concerned that even adjustable the softer setting might be to Too stiff for the shocks. If not the higher stiffness adjustments might be to stiff thus losing its adjustability if that makes sense?
The z28 wheels and tires contribute to the drop as well. I think it's only 1/2" without them.

The bad thing is you lose adjustability with the OEM sways because they're tied in to those super stiff springs. The only way to do it correctly would be everything from the z28 and that would include the 19x11 wheels/tires IMO.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #12
Scooter18155

Quote:
The z28 wheels and tires contribute to the drop as well. I think it's only 1/2" without them.

The bad thing is you lose adjustability with the OEM sways because they're tied in to those super stiff springs. The only way to do it correctly would be everything from the z28 and that would include the 19x11 wheels/tires IMO.
I going to measure my wheel gap when I install these but if information I read in another thread is correct. the z28 is roughly 1.5"-1.75" lower total ride height. the z28 springs give about 1" drop the wheels account for the rest.

that is exactly part of my concern being stuck with those sways. if the car handles great I can live with the harsh ride and the main concern is is handling. however my car is reaching 100K the rims I currently have are ok functional but cosmetically getting to the point of replacement anyways. so 19x11 rims in the future isn't out of the question to complete it. I just gotta do my homework and find out if the rims will clear the zl1 brakes. If they wont the car should still handle better then my 10 ss 100k mile suspension would.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #13
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The 19” wheels will clear your ZL1 calipers since the Z28 calipers are bigger anyway offset will be the concern.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
i just want to say, the cradle can rust! I bought my car in Hawaii and actually tried to return it because there was a good rust spot on the front subframe. The shop ended up grinding it out and sealing it. I ended up painting it over with POR15 (which is rock hard) so it's good now, but to say they won't rust is wrong.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote