Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
FARK wiring help.............

Ok, so I got this FARK harness but no where, let me repeat, no where did I find anything about the (2) grayish 5G-X2A wire harnesses that are suppose to connect to the rear speakers. Anybody got a clue about these?
Since there are no instructions included, I guess we're expected to know what to do with them?????????
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c ss View Post
Ok, so I got this FARK harness but no where, let me repeat, no where did I find anything about the (2) grayish 5G-X2A wire harnesses that are suppose to connect to the rear speakers. Anybody got a clue about these?
Since there are no instructions included, I guess we're expected to know what to do with them?????????
Disconnect the terminal from the rear speakers and connect the 5g-X2A to them and then connect them to the speaker.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
G4M3OVR

Drives: '05 OB Neon SRT4, '13 IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Disconnect the terminal from the rear speakers and connect the 5g-X2A to them and then connect them to the speaker.
This. It's pretty self-explanatory.
G4M3OVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Yeah, follow the above. The directions are lacking in this department. I found some pics on my own to figure this part out. Then I found out mine were wired backward. Fun times.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
s/c ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
You mean there is nothing more to it than that? What is the purpose? I thought it was suppose to go somewhere else.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c ss View Post
You mean there is nothing more to it than that? What is the purpose? I thought it was suppose to go somewhere else.
That's all there is to it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
s/c ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
That's all there is to it.
What's the purpose of that harness? Do you know?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
You should have the fark specific instructions in your kit. If not pm me and I'll send you the link so you have it. I have copied the section about the x2a's below for your convenience. Installing those is really easy.

The X2A Jumpers (needed on coupe, not used on convertible)
The last thing involved is installing our x2a speaker jumper wires (harnesses with gray connectors). To install these, All you do is unplug each rear 6x9 (at the speaker) and install the x2a (short gray harness) In-Line. That's it Done.

BackgroundThe rear Boston 6x9s are bi-amp'd meaning the tweeter and midrange are powered by 2 sets of speaker wires and two channels on the factory amp, not one. Since a 4 channel amp only has two channels available for the rear, we have two options. Either power a single portion of each rear speaker or split the signal and power them both. Earlier versions of the X2A only powered the midrange of each rear 6x9. Further develpment of our of the x2a harnesses (v3.0) allows us to power both the tweeter and midrange of each rear speaker and this is a huge improvement. The power is split at the connector and a small capacitor is installed in the tweeter line to filter out unwanted bass. This makes for a full range speaker set--just like most aftermarket speakers. If you later decide to install aftermarket 6x9 rear speakers, you can simply snip off the ends of each harness and hardwire it to the new speaker using the gray wires. This way you will not have to cut the factory harness to install new speakers.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 01-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Steve - to drive the sub input on the amp (JL 700/5), a RCA splitter is needed to drive the sub inputs ? Does it matter which channels you use (ie: should you use the rears over the fronts) ?

Thanks.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

The 5 ch amp should have a switch that lets you use the 4ch of input already given from the harness instead of having to split off and with another set. If not then that is okay you can use whichever set you like. Personally I would use the front set but that is totally up to you.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
The 5 ch amp should have a switch that lets you use the 4ch of input already given from the harness instead of having to split off and with another set. If not then that is okay you can use whichever set you like. Personally I would use the front set but that is totally up to you.
Didn't notice that (from the JL 700/5 manual):

If you prefer to use only four channels of input
into the XD700/5, set the “Input Mode” switch
in the “4 Ch.” position and use the Ch 1 & 2 and
Ch 3 & 4 Inputs. In this mode, the XD700/5 will
derive its subwoofer channel signal from a sum
of all four input signals. The bass will not fade
when the signal is faded by the head unit from
front to rear.

Excellent. Thanks !
-- Lee
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
s/c ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
As per the directions (Included in Every kit all you have to do is read the little card inside the plastic baggie that says Read This First. I dunno why ppl say they can't find it, as it has the resistor taped right to it)

The X2A Jumpers (needed on coupe, not used on convertible)
The last thing involved is installing our x2a speaker jumper wires (harnesses with gray connectors). To install these, All you do is unplug each rear 6x9 (at the speaker) and install the x2a (short gray harness) In-Line. That's it Done.

BackgroundThe rear Boston 6x9s are bi-amp'd meaning the tweeter and midrange are powered by 2 sets of speaker wires and two channels on the factory amp, not one. Since a 4 channel amp only has two channels available for the rear, we have two options. Either power a single portion of each rear speaker or split the signal and power them both. Earlier versions of the X2A only powered the midrange of each rear 6x9. Further develpment of our of the x2a harnesses (v3.0) allows us to power both the tweeter and midrange of each rear speaker and this is a huge improvement. The power is split at the connector and a small capacitor is installed in the tweeter line to filter out unwanted bass. This makes for a full range speaker set--just like most aftermarket speakers. If you later decide to install aftermarket 6x9 rear speakers, you can simply snip off the ends of each harness and hardwire it to the new speaker using the gray wires. This way you will not have to cut the factory harness to install new speakers.
Not exactly what you think your directions say but maybe you should follow your link and read them yourself because it sure doesn't say anything about the harness I asked about nor does it say anything about the little resistor in that pack.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Sorry about that. I will have to have a little talk with someone on monday about getting the right instructions in the kits. Only a few kits were affected so anyone that didn't get the proper instruction card can simply pm me and I'll send the link. No need to go search around or asking, just hit me up

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 01-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Yes, the little paper that comes with the kit does not take you to the right instructions. I read those a bunch of times and never found what I needed.

However, after a lot of searching, I finally found the following link which helped out a lot. Sorry, I was asked to delete the link, plus it doesnt work for me now either. They must have changed it.

Last edited by SHWA; 01-22-2013 at 01:37 PM.
SHWA is offline   Reply With Quote