Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #1
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
103mm TB on a factory LS3 manifold - what's it worth? Definitive dyno results inside

Hey folks - happy Cinco de Mayo. At GPI we get asked about porting factory LS3/L99 manifolds out to accept a 103mm throttle body pretty frequently. We don't offer that service because we've always thought it doesn't actually help add any significant power, but we've never truly put it to the test. Last month we went ahead and did test this. The bottom line, for the guys that don't wanna read, is that the 103mm throttle body is worth NOTHING on the stock manifold.

If you're into the details, have a look. I've got it summarized in a video on my YouTube as well.

https://gwatneyperformance.com/103mm...ow-much-power/

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:28 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Very nice test. I've been wondering about the exact same thing. I would have thought that it would have picked up something but I guess the dyno doesn't lie. Thanks for the info as always, I'm sure everyone is very grateful for you guys.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:19 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Very nice test. I've been wondering about the exact same thing. I would have thought that it would have picked up something but I guess the dyno doesn't lie. Thanks for the info as always, I'm sure everyone is very grateful for you guys.
Yea - it's a test a lot of us have always talked about, but I've never seen done and documented. I wish we had more time to mess with stuff like this - we definitely are always trying to gather more information.

I'm pretty sure the restriction is just the manifold itself, and the throat specifically. If you look at the opening, especially once it's ported out, you can see that predominately the roof, but then also the sides of the throat all neck down right behind the throttle body flange, and I'm pretty confident that negates any sort of flow you can add right there at the throttle body.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:49 AM   #4
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Don't people usually remark on improved throttle response as being one of the draws of the TB upgrade? Personally I haven't noticed any substantial improvement in throttle response, but mine doesn't have the stock manifold either and also had the heads ported, so I don't have apples to apples comparison or anything, and just have the 102. Good write up!
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Don't people usually remark on improved throttle response as being one of the draws of the TB upgrade? Personally I haven't noticed any substantial improvement in throttle response, but mine doesn't have the stock manifold either and also had the heads ported, so I don't have apples to apples comparison or anything, and just have the 102. Good write up!
So, yes - porting an OEM throttle body is not really about gains much in terms of actual flow - the purpose is mostly to kill the ledge behind the blade opening, to improve response when you crack the throttle. You could accomplish that with a 102, but that's a much more costly way to achieve the same result.