Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Jmoff82

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS
Regarding breaking in my new Camaro

Okay so i read the break-in article posted by darin in another thread, and i have a question. I'm at approximately 1100 miles, and i didn't find my way to these forums until today. Now i've been driving it easy at some points but i have been hammering it quite a lot. I've never broken in a new car before and i read the OM on how to break it in, but i've always had a "heavy foot" so i completely disregarded their break-in process. I do a lot of high speed passes, and 50% of the time i would hammer it. Since i read the break in guide by darin i've been going to an empty road and from a rolling start flooring it to 90 then coasting in N until slowing down.

My question is, since i didn't use that method of break in when i first got the car, even though i have been running it pretty hard off and on throughout the last 1100 miles, will i still break it in properly and get the most horses out of it, or is it too late? Also, how will i know when it's broken in, and when should i change the oil? Thanks
Jmoff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Based on my rather limited knowledge of auto mechanics....

I would say your break in period is done and your running it hard should be fine.
I did the same....a bit of the OM break in...a bit of Darin's technique....but I felt doing it Darin's way, while I'm sure it works, was out of my comfort zone, given my afore mentioned limited knowledge. So I largely stuck with the OM.
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
Assembly tolerances on the engines are now a lot better, so break in is not as important as it used to be. On many cars, the engine is run on a dyno either before it goes into the car, or when the car comes off the assembly line.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote