Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #197
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Some still have issues with all the precautions listed....but far fewer.

Here is one in the shop right now:

Notice the coking on the intake valves after only 50k miles? As bad as any we have seen.

We are doing SC & Heads, and a proper oil separating crankcase evac system on this so while it is apart we do chains standard.
And are you saying it's do to the owner not keeping up with oil change and oil level?
Sorry but I feel your other post kind of pointed to the fact that us with problems aren't taking care of our cars.
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #198
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
If everyone contacted consumer affairs and complained perhaps there would be a recall. I for one dont feel comfy knowing in the back of my mind my chain is stretching.
My problem exactly, this wears on you.
How many that are not on C5 had this happen.
Nobody likes to be driving a ticking time bomb.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #199
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Tracy so is DEXOS approved Mobil 1 not fully synthetic? I'm confused . . . I've been using Mobile 1 since 1.5k miles and have been changing it every 3k. Haven't ever had low oil levels and I check it at every fill up because I'm paranoid about this issue.
There are both fully synthetic and synthetic blends of DEXOS. What your buying is fully synthetic as long as it says so on the quart or jug.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #200
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
If everyone contacted consumer affairs and complained perhaps there would be a recall. I for one dont feel comfy knowing in the back of my mind my chain is stretching.
Don't see this happening... This has been going on since at least 2009, if not before... so I really don't see GM doing any kind of recall, especially since this is not really a safety issue...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #201
SNV

Just picked my car up. They even put my Ice-olator back on . They said it is an upgraded chain. I guess I didn't notice the drop in power with the bad chain. Feels better now. I guess time will tell.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #202
SNV

Just a little update. Put around 500 miles on car. Seems to be running great now. Almost seemed like it needed to relearn something.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #203
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
That's great! Hopefully this one will last the life of the car, but it's an issue we'll all have in the back of our minds as long as we own these cars...
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #204
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
but it's an issue we'll all have in the back of our minds as long as we own these cars...
Yeah it's still in the back of my mind . As I said in the past not sure what route i want to go with. Upgraded v6 or use V8. They are a few others I like put don't like the price tags lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #205
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNV View Post
Just picked my car up. They even put my Ice-olator back on . They said it is an upgraded chain. I guess I didn't notice the drop in power with the bad chain. Feels better now. I guess time will tell.

what is an "Ice-olator"?

This is why I never buy a first year produciton of anything, I was almost wary of buying a 2012 but i knew this engine had been around for a good 6 years so I figred it should be pretty rock solid by now. I guess this is the price we pay for having a 320 HP V6.

Since this issue has been linked to the oil level, more friction means more tension on the chain which causes more strech, Does anyone think that using Lucas oil additive could help with this issue? If you ever played with the lucas display in the auto stores, lucas is really, really good at reducing friction on rotating parts like chains & gears & cams. I always felt that lucas was really good stuff, I always used it in motorcycles but I may start using it in my car as well seeing that we could have issues like this.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #206
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
what is an "Ice-olator"?

This is why I never buy a first year produciton of anything, I was almost wary of buying a 2012 but i knew this engine had been around for a good 6 years so I figred it should be pretty rock solid by now. I guess this is the price we pay for having a 320 HP V6.

Since this issue has been linked to the oil level, more friction means more tension on the chain which causes more strech, Does anyone think that using Lucas oil additive could help with this issue? If you ever played with the lucas display in the auto stores, lucas is really, really good at reducing friction on rotating parts like chains & gears & cams. I always felt that lucas was really good stuff, I always used it in motorcycles but I may start using it in my car as well seeing that we could have issues like this.
Well, I'll find out eventually. I use a Quart of the Lucas oil additive every oil change, im only around 20,000 right now
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #207
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Iceolator is bolt on 20 rwhp & 25 rwtq for the LLT.....give us a ring for more info or to order. Keep them in stock usually.

Make sure to run 100% synthetic oil all with the LLT/LFX to avoid premature wear of the timing chains.

We install the updated ones anytime we do a heads/cams build on these.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #208
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Make sure to run 100% synthetic oil all with the LLT/LFX to avoid premature wear of the timing chains.
I'll say it once again. I have always used synthetic oil in my cars. It didn't seem to matter at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #209
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
yeah, my experience has been that synthetic or dino the oil is always dirty after 3-4,000 miles anyway, i'm not really convinced that synthetic is really much better than dino, especially considering the price difference, lucas additive on the other hand clearly makes a difference, my harley runs noticably quiter & cooler with lucas.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #210
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
yeah, my experience has been that synthetic or dino the oil is always dirty after 3-4,000 miles anyway, i'm not really convinced that synthetic is really much better than dino, especially considering the price difference, lucas additive on the other hand clearly makes a difference, my harley runs noticably quiter & cooler with lucas.
I'm not familiar with Lucas additive can you tell me more about it? I may try it out.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote