Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
Okay, I know there's a similar post to this, but I have a slightly different situation.

I went to the mall today with some friends. It was pretty packed and I decided to park as reasonably far as I could without having to make the girls walk too far. I could tell it was getting crowded, but I and my other friend's car went to the most vacant area available in that lot. He took one spot, while I took the 2 spots next to him. When we began walking to the mall, they began to mess with me saying I was gonna get keyed, wheels stolen (wtf?), etc. I was semi-worried but I've been doing this often with strict discretion at other lots. Luckily I came out 3 hours later from the movies at nighttime to see my Camaro the victim of none of the things my friends mentioned. This situation made me begin to wonder; IS THERE MORE RISK OF GETTING MY DOOR DINGED BY PARKING NORMALLY, OR GETTING KEYED BY SOME ANGRY A-HOLE FOR TAKING 2 SPOTS?
Well if your taking 2 spots one first has to ask just WHO is the a-hole.

I'd say the person taking 2 spots AND the person doing the keying. One is just illegal.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Taking 2 spots is just encouraging a-holes if you ask me. Or it's inviting one of these.

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/...s/notice_1.pdf

I keep a stack of these in my car printed on neon yellow paper and have given out quite a few. I only do it on warm sunny days (no possible chance of rain) and always gently place them under the wiper. I left a few on my neighbors car (apartment complex) and she started parking her car within her lines after that .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
highmark
Burnin out!

Drives: Sick SS
Take one spot away from others if possible, and you will have a better chance of finding your car the way u left it. I drop the wife at the door first because of course she is royalty!
highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I agree with everyone here. Almost nobody is going to key your car because you take 2 spots, unfortunately it only take one ass to key your car. If you are in a crowded mall for 3 hours maybe 1000 people or more will go by your car. That means if 0.1% of people are asses you could get keyed, more people than that are asses so you have a higher chance of being keyed.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I only own a v6 so my strategy is to park beside a more expensive/nicer car than my own. The risk of them getting jealous and actually appreciate the car is higher, thus less chance of getting dinged. I would never want to park beside a crap rust car, it's just asking for trouble
Old 05-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
You definitely increase your odds of vandalism by taking two parking spaces. Some people are just scum, and will do it anyway, so nothing's certain, but why give someone more incentive?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
I only own a v6 so my strategy is to park beside a more expensive/nicer car than my own. The risk of them getting jealous and actually appreciate the car is higher, thus less chance of getting dinged. I would never want to park beside a crap rust car, it's just asking for trouble
Nice theory, but I'm not buying it. In a lot of cases, parking next to a nicer/more expensive car is just as much of a risk as parking next to the beater. In my experience, the vast majority of people who drive high-end cars care less about their cars condition than the drivers of "normal" cars.

Think of it this way. If you're like me, you work hard to earn the money you make and if you choose to use some of that money to purchase a car, you are sure as heck going to take care of it as best you can. If you have a lot of money, buying a car is just that, buying a car. If the one you are driving gets a ding or two, no big deal. They'll just trade it in on a newer model in a year or two anyway.

Sure, you can try to minimize the chances of damage to your car, but there is no sure way to prevent it from happening.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
JaxJags

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z28
Why didn't you just park in a spot that had a curb or island next to it, and have your friend park next to you on the opposite side?
JaxJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
you will get keys more often because YOU took 2 spots, even if you and your friend were the only cars in that area.....having the "my car is better than your's" attitude is just asking for it.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Nice theory, but I'm not buying it. In a lot of cases, parking next to a nicer/more expensive car is just as much of a risk as parking next to the beater. In my experience, the vast majority of people who drive high-end cars care less about their cars condition than the drivers of "normal" cars.

Think of it this way. If you're like me, you work hard to earn the money you make and if you choose to use some of that money to purchase a car, you are sure as heck going to take care of it as best you can. If you have a lot of money, buying a car is just that, buying a car. If the one you are driving gets a ding or two, no big deal. They'll just trade it in on a newer model in a year or two anyway.

Sure, you can try to minimize the chances of damage to your car, but there is no sure way to prevent it from happening.

Rich people sometimes don't value their "nice" rides as others would. I've seen this first hand. Seen my friends in their porsches and high end BMW just fling doors into other cars and not care and even laugh.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #25
101ABN
Still stuck in Iraq!

Drives: MRAP
SnoopyAce7, I assume you were at Potomac Mills because of where you say you live. That being said, you can usually get away with taking 2 spots, if you park out far enough. Most places I think people may think your an A-hole for taking 2 spots and move on, but some people will just use it as an excuse to damage your property.
101ABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #26
zerox

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bumblebee
Your asking for trouble for sure, some asshole will do it one day if you keep doing it.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #27
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Next time drop the weight off at the theater and park in a spot next to a curb. Thats what I do, my friend aren't immature or disrespectful to tease me like they did you, but for their convenience I will drop them off and then park the car. I even pick them up, they know I love the ride and they respect her and they appreciate my efforts to keep them comfortable at the same time.
Ahhh, true true. I definitely appreciate everyone's thoughts about taking up 2 spots. I dont want to be "that guy" who takes 2 spots cus he's better than everyone else, that is by no means what I mean whenever I double park. I'll just park super far away from now on!
SnoopyAce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #28
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
screw the girls walking distance.
i prefer parking far enough n walking then taking risks.

funny thing is most of the time i park away from the door, i always have another car not far from mine (beside, in front, or 2 spots away) when i get back.

this car is so beautiful, other people take the long walk too so they could look at it.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ding, keyed, spots