Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-20-2023, 10:09 PM   #29
GenesisCoupe

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Didn't even notice that. If it's hitting 200 degrees at highway speeds, something else is wrong. It shouldn't need the fans to keep it thermostat temp while cruising in cool ambient temps. I would guess it has air trapped in the cooling system.
Yes, I added about 1 liter of concentrate in the morning. Now there is definitely no air in the system. On the highway the average temperature is 172F
GenesisCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:52 PM   #30
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
Yes, I added about 1 liter of concentrate in the morning. Now there is definitely no air in the system. On the highway the average temperature is 172F
There still can be trapped air in the system, when I changed my coolant yesterday, coolant hoses and 160 Thermostat, I filled it up to the required level, and in the overflow a bit more, then left the cap off, started the car and put the heat on full for a few minutes and let the system burp, you be able to see bubbles, kept topping it off, closed the cap drove for a few minutes and then let the engine cool down, checked it again afterwards. For a few days I keep an eye on the temps, but staying around 165-170 degrees so far with ambient air temp at 65.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2023, 11:05 AM   #31
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Lol. Today I was driving along the highway without entering the city (70-95 mph). The ambient temperature was 56F, on the highway coolant temperature did not rise above 174F. Even when I sit on the gas pedal the temperature did not rise (perhaps better radiator bleeding at high speed).

Can I damage the engine if I constantly drive at such a low temperature? Or is it better than the "normal" 221F?
What did you expect to happen when you put in a colder thermostat? Stock radiator typically wouldn't have any problems keeping it around the thermostat temp at highway speeds. Mine has a large SC heat exchanger and Trans cooler in front of the radiator and it has no trouble keeping it around the thermostat temp at highway speed. Although I would sort of expect it to be closer to 160, makes me think that maybe you do still have some air.

As far as hurting the engine at cooler temps, you will find some disagreement on that. It will definitely hurt fuel mileage.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #32
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
The correct spec for flushing and refilling the coolant in an LSA engine is to refill with negative pressure, I use a MACtool negative pressure pump. You don’t want to just fill and drive around and hope you empty an air pocket, doesn’t get any more ghetto than that.. But then again that’s for an LSA and that’s for those that still track ZL1’s before this became the SS/LS forum..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #33
gtstorey

And again, no meaningful difference in the cooling system from SS to ZL1.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #34
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
And again, no meaningful difference in the cooling system from SS to ZL1.

Yeah the big difference the chatter is in the wrong forum, I joined into the forum to learn about ZL1's that's why I bought one. There is plenty of room over in the SS forum for LS/SS questions, or has it gone dark. I wouldn't know because I have never gone over there because I don't own an SS.. Nor do I care about about them, and that's why we have separate forums.. Or maybe we should consult the Admin and see if he can rename it gtsStorey's all SS's are really ZL1's.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:30 PM   #35
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Last I knew this was an open forum for anyone to comment in. If you have something to share then feel free to share. ZMEnow, you are way out of line here. If you want exclusivity the girls room is down the hall to the left.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:42 PM   #36
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Wow some people
Most of the ZL1er on here that I know aren't so stuck up, but this is some serious
Old 11-22-2023, 01:58 AM   #37
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
On the highway the average temperature is 172F
I think it's runs too cold. (Ideal is about 194F)

Last edited by chevy pilot; 11-22-2023 at 08:44 AM.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:43 AM   #38
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel67 View Post
Wow some people
Most of the ZL1er on here that I know aren't so stuck up, but this is some serious
Point proven, a bunch of I wish i
(could be ZL1s owners parading in their skirts looking for love). I don’t care if you post here as long as it’s relevant to ZL1, if it isn’t then why not take it to the correct forum? It pissed me off when the attack started on a ZL1 owner who asked a legit question about 12:14 volts and he was expecting and stated he wanted feedback from zl1 owners who had experience. What he got was a bunch of crap from non ZL1 owners about how an SS is the magical twin and their word is the gospel, and when it pissed him off the SS want to bee’s flamed him.

You have a dedicated forum for your car so dragging all of the unnecessary chatter has many SS owners thinking this is the place to post their questions. But flaming a ZL1 owner for asking about relevance from other ZL1 owners and getting flamed from a bunch of non ZL1 owners has brought the worst out of me, so let it begin..
Old 11-22-2023, 07:54 AM   #39
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Hey, he should buy mine, then he can post here all he wants with no one telling him to go to his own room. LOL. It's in the for sale section.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #40
gtstorey

The post I responded to was actually about an SS.

But,

If I feel my knowledge and experience will help someone with a ZL1, I'm not to proud to share my thoughts. The idea that something like what temperature should an LS based motor should run at is that specific from SS to ZL1 and especially should the open road temp be 30 degrees over the thermostat temp is something i will weigh in on whether it's a ZL1, Z28, LS, LFX, LS3, L99.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #41
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Point proven, a bunch of I wish i
(could be ZL1s owners parading in their skirts looking for love). I don’t care if you post here as long as it’s relevant to ZL1, if it isn’t then why not take it to the correct forum? It pissed me off when the attack started on a ZL1 owner who asked a legit question about 12:14 volts and he was expecting and stated he wanted feedback from zl1 owners who had experience. What he got was a bunch of crap from non ZL1 owners about how an SS is the magical twin and their word is the gospel, and when it pissed him off the SS want to bee’s flamed him.

You have a dedicated forum for your car so dragging all of the unnecessary chatter has many SS owners thinking this is the place to post their questions. But flaming a ZL1 owner for asking about relevance from other ZL1 owners and getting flamed from a bunch of non ZL1 owners has brought the worst out of me, so let it begin..
So someone made a mistake and posted in a thread that was relative to his problem. big effin deal.
Ever heard a thing called Ignore and move on, must be a liberal thing to get so pissed off about jack shit.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #42
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have to agree somewhat with ZMEnow. This is the ZL1 forum and this is about topics concerning ZL1's. This forum I go to as much as I can to see what other ZL1 owners are doing to their cars or what problems someone might be having with their ZL1. Yes the SS is similar to the ZL1 but the SS does not have a supercharger and some other equipment the ZL1 has. I do not mind if someone has a SS and wants to chime in and ask a question about the ZL1's but it should be about the ZL1 not a SS. If you have a question about the camaro in itself that is fine to but again this forum is about the ZL1 cars. I really like this web site and it has helped me through the years save money on parts for my car and answered some of my questions about my car. I did not go to the SS forum to get my questions answered because it is a ZL1. I am sure if I went to the SS forum asking questions they would send me to this web site, right?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote