Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
RS fogs/DRLs

Just bought a 2011 RS. After reading some of the threads on the forums, I suspect that my car has been modified re: the fogs/DRL.

On mine, the fogs do not function as DRLs. Vehicle running, but the headlights off, nothing. Turn on the parking lights, the fogs come on, along with the halos, side markers, tail lights, etc. They stay on when the headlights are fully on, and stay on whether the headlights are on low- or high-beam.

My suspicion is that the fogs have been rewired to the parking light circuit. Not a big deal, but as a first-time Camaro owner, I'm a little unclear on the stock configuration.

My understanding was that the stock config has the fogs function as DRLs, but they go out when the headlights are turned on and cannot be controlled otherwise.

Ideally, what I would like is is for the fogs and halos to function as DRLs, and to have a fog-light button in the headlight control to turn them on/off at will when the headlights are on, and also to have them stay off when the high-beams are turned on. Maybe I'm crazy, but this is the configuration I'm used to on my Ford trucks.

In any event, my car has no DRL function at the moment, and would like to get that going on. Seems like a waste to not show off the halos
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Jmcsjcrs

Drives: 2012 2SS RS Inferno Orange
If you have an RS you have DRLs, not fog lights. Halos are not fog lights or DRLs. From the factory, they only come on when the car is on gear during the day. You can buy an aftermarket harness that will keep them on all the time. There is also a harness that keep both your DRLs and Halos on all the time. Gen5diy

• 2012 2SS RS
  • CAI Industries
  • Lloyd's Floor and Trunk Mats
  • IOM Heritage Grill
  • Sparks SS emblems
  • Year One Restoration 1969 Camaro Script
Jmcsjcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
clashley1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcsjcrs View Post
If you have an RS you have DRLs, not fog lights. Halos are not fog lights or DRLs. From the factory, they only come on when the car is on gear during the day. You can buy an aftermarket harness that will keep them on all the time. There is also a harness that keep both your DRLs and Halos on all the time. Gen5diy
That's what I understood, but my car has apparently been modded. Nothing up front lights up when the engine is running but the headlights are off. The lower fascia lights only come on with the parking lights, and stay on when the headlights are on, regardless of low/high beam setting. What I want is for the lower lights and halos to function as DRLs when the headlights are off, and for the halos to be on whenever the headlights are on (low and high beam), and for the lower fascia lights to be on with headlight low beam and off with headlight high beam. Not sure there is a kit for all of that, if I just need to get creative with some wiring.

One final thing, but I suspect this may be stock. The forward turn signals (inboard of the headlights) do not have a parking light function. They are only illuminate with the turn signals. I think this is stock, but if I can use some white/amber switchbacks and have them added to the DRL function (white on DRL, but dark when headlights are on, and only flashing amber on the turn signal), I would like that.
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate

Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley1976 View Post
That's what I understood, but my car has apparently been modded. Nothing up front lights up when the engine is running but the headlights are off. The lower fascia lights only come on with the parking lights, and stay on when the headlights are on, regardless of low/high beam setting. What I want is for the lower lights and halos to function as DRLs when the headlights are off, and for the halos to be on whenever the headlights are on (low and high beam), and for the lower fascia lights to be on with headlight low beam and off with headlight high beam. Not sure there is a kit for all of that, if I just need to get creative with some wiring.

One final thing, but I suspect this may be stock. The forward turn signals (inboard of the headlights) do not have a parking light function. They are only illuminate with the turn signals. I think this is stock, but if I can use some white/amber switchbacks and have them added to the DRL function (white on DRL, but dark when headlights are on, and only flashing amber on the turn signal), I would like that.
Ok, to start out take a look in your right wheel well to see if you have a harness installed if your drls and your hids are on at the same time.(you'll need to remove the three screws holding the wheel cover on and then peel back the wheel well cover) If your Camaro was stock your parking lights are not on when your hids are on.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Jmcsjcrs

Drives: 2012 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Contact Ofer at Gen5diy.com, he can help you out

• 2012 2SS RS
  • CAI Industries
  • Lloyd's Floor and Trunk Mats
  • IOM Heritage Grill
  • Sparks SS emblems
  • Year One Restoration 1969 Camaro Script
Jmcsjcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
clashley1976

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
clashley1976

Well, poo. Finally got around to opening up the wheel cover to look at how my DRLs are wired, since they are not acting like DRLs. Was hoping to find the harness adapter, but no such luck. Seems a previous owner cut off the factory harness plug and spliced the DRLs directly into the side marker wiring. Since the factory plugs are gone, seems like I would have to kitbash a harness solution to achieve the effect I want.

What I want is to have the DRLs work as DRLs, plus work as fog lamps when the parking lights / low-beams are on, but not working when high-beams are on.

Should be able to accomplish this with two relays and some wiring. If someone would be kind enough to put another pair of eyes on this and see if it makes sense, I'd appreciate it:

Relay 1:
  • Pin 30: fused 12v from battery
  • Pin 85: to ground
  • Pin 86: DRL signal
  • Pin 87: to pin 30 of relay 2
  • Pin 87a: not used

Relay 2:
  • Pin 30: from pin 87 of relay 1
  • Pin 86: high beam signal
  • Pin 87: not used
  • Pin 87a: to DRL lamps
Additionally, if I wanted to add the halos to the DRL scheme, I believe I could disconnect the existing harness and add them to pin 87 of the first relay.

Since the factory harness has apparently been hacked, I figure I will be ahead to make my own adapter as opposed to trying to restore the factory wiring and then finding the correct adapter.

The only question I have is where to source the signals for pin 86 on both relays, preferably without making additional cuts to the wiring harness.

So far, this (and an aftermarket exhaust-back system) is the only modification I've found on the car, and everything else seems pretty much stock, so aside from general aggravation, I'm not freaking out about it. Just trying to figure how get what I'm looking for.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
clashley1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley1976 View Post
Relay 1:
  • Pin 30: fused 12v from battery
  • Pin 86: DRL signal
  • Pin 87: to pin 30 of relay 2
  • Pin 87a: not used
After some more thinking, I don't think the DRL signal on pin 86 will work once the headlights are on. I need pin 86 connected to a signal that is always on when the ignition is in "run" position (but not in ACC, or otherwise I'll have a battery drain).

Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
rdame

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I cannot help with the harness repair but I think GEN5DIY has a harness that does what you want. It is the VA legal DRL P&P harness. In VA it is illegal for fogs / drl's to be on with high beams. They have a harness the will retain the DRL function and will keep the DRL's on all the time except for when high beams are on. Flash high beams and DRL's go out. Back to low beams and the DRL's are on..... The accomplish it with a relay that kills the DRL circuit when the high beams are activated....
2011 2SS, L99 Auto, VMax TB, "Strong" MAF, MSD Wires, JRE Modded Metco Breather, DEI Plug Wire Heat Socks, Heater Hose Update, 160 degree Thermostat, CAI Intake, JRE CAI Scoop, Moroso Catch Can, ARP Header Studs, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT Ceramic Coated, Dynatech Supercats 2.5” out, 2.5" Corsa S Catback Resonator X Pipe,Moroso Driveshaft Hoop, Moroso Tunnel Brace, Goodridge Phantom G-Stop SS lines, Motul 600 RBF brake fluid, SCT 4 with JRE Tune
rdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
rdame

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Sorry, Did not look at thread date...... Only a year or so late to the party....
2011 2SS, L99 Auto, VMax TB, "Strong" MAF, MSD Wires, JRE Modded Metco Breather, DEI Plug Wire Heat Socks, Heater Hose Update, 160 degree Thermostat, CAI Intake, JRE CAI Scoop, Moroso Catch Can, ARP Header Studs, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT Ceramic Coated, Dynatech Supercats 2.5” out, 2.5" Corsa S Catback Resonator X Pipe,Moroso Driveshaft Hoop, Moroso Tunnel Brace, Goodridge Phantom G-Stop SS lines, Motul 600 RBF brake fluid, SCT 4 with JRE Tune
rdame is offline   Reply With Quote