Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
2 Stoopid Unrelated ?'s

1. What is the point of the gills? Why have them? Why not paint them black like a grill? If they aren't functional, why not?

2. If you can "correct" the v8 back to high performance mode after a tank full of 87 octane with a simple fuse pull, why can't you run your v8 on 87 for an economical commute and/or travel and fix it with a fuse pull when you're ready to rumble? Does it damage the motor to run it on 87?
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
The gills are just a cosmetic feature just like the mail slot. Its a throwback to the 69 which also had nonfunctioning gills. And you will not do any damage running on 87 just lose some power and w the fuse pull it will relearn it should on its own but some are slower than others
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Thanks for the answers! I wonder what it would take to make the gills functional? I mean, it couldn't hurt to cool the rear brakes.

If pulling the fuses reboots it into high performance mode and no damage is done running 87 octane, then why not commute all week on 87 for 50 cents a gallon less money, get a tank of 91 or 93 Friday, pull the fuses Friday night and party all weekend? I've got to be missing something here...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhood View Post
Thanks for the answers! I wonder what it would take to make the gills functional? I mean, it couldn't hurt to cool the rear brakes.

If pulling the fuses reboots it into high performance mode and no damage is done running 87 octane, then why not commute all week on 87 for 50 cents a gallon less money, get a tank of 91 or 93 Friday, pull the fuses Friday night and party all weekend? I've got to be missing something here...
why?

cause it's too much of a hastle for the 3 dollars you'd save. thats why. think practically.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Let's say I get over the performance and want to drive it on 87 for a year...no harm done if I want to step up to 93 for special occasions? Also, 16 gallons of 87 costs $8 less than 16 gallons of 91 (I can't even get 93 out here in the sticks). That would add up quick. I wonder what sort of mileage hit you take with 87 as opposed to 91?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
I have heard some say that it will get better fuel economy on higher octane fuel, offsetting the cost, because the engine is running where it was designed to....haven't bothered to test this theory, i use only the best. On the gills you can use black vinyl to hi-light them making them appear functional?

Ken
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I wonder what it would take to make the gills functional? I mean, it couldn't hurt to cool the rear brakes.
Take a saw to your quarter panels if your interested. Oh yeah make sure you post pics and a DIY write up would be nice.

Jk dont try that if you dont know what your doing lol
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

I've seen the black vinyl gill highlights and they look much better...they all should come from the factory that way...sort of like the black grill. I still don't understand why they aren't fully functional though. BTW: I'm not about to take a saw to the gills if/when I buy my 1SS...I only look crazy.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
1. What is the point of the gills? Why have them? Why not paint them black like a grill? If they aren't functional, why not?

2. If you can "correct" the v8 back to high performance mode after a tank full of 87 octane with a simple fuse pull, why can't you run your v8 on 87 for an economical commute and/or travel and fix it with a fuse pull when you're ready to rumble? Does it damage the motor to run it on 87?
Quote:

Quote:
Let's say I get over the performance and want to drive it on 87 for a year...no harm done if I want to step up to 93 for special occasions? Also, 16 gallons of 87 costs $8 less than 16 gallons of 91 (I can't even get 93 out here in the sticks). That would add up quick. I wonder what sort of mileage hit you take with 87 as opposed to 91?
Hi, first off you have a 69 Roadrunner which is awesome, I have one too, Blue Fire Metallic, 4 speed 440.. in pieces. I will probably never finish it but a man can dream.

As for your idea.. The amount of money you will save in fuel you will lose in mileage, as well as possible knock (if you want to get on it) can damage your engine (no it won't blow up but it will wear more over time). Yes the computer tunes it back for you to limit that though but its still not a good thing. Less detergents in the gas means your injectors will clog earlier.

Your computer also takes time to learn and optimize the fuel map and other things, theres no high performance mode, the computer just sees you have shit gas and tunes it down. If you yank the fuse friday night it takes a good few days of driving and tanks of fuel for the computer to really optimize, giving you poor mileage and only slightly better performance in the process.

Theres a reaon the car says premium fuel only, I can't see how someone can spend $35k on a car and cheap out on the gas. one tank a week is only around $400 a year, even less savings if you factor in the loss in mileage.

As for making the gills functional.. hmm bodywork to cut holes in the side of your car, ducting, etc assuming there is even space behind them that you can just do that... Sounds like a lot of time and money for nothing.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
like we say all the time.if your buying it for good gas milage,don't buy it.i think a better idea would buy an old 4 banger when you want to save gas and go slow,then when you want to go fast get in the camaro.you could also put functional gills on the side to cool the brakes and when you didn't want to cool the brakes you could put a plug in them.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Knock in the engine is a bad thing...that changes everything. I was asking under the assumption that no damage was done to the motor by running 87.

And yea, I understand the good gas mileage argument...I bought the wife a diesel Jetta for the mileage (45mpg when we can get decent diesel) and the roadrunner gets about 10mpg if I stay off it and use the lead additive and the octane boost.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Grinder19

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8/2010 2SSCamaro
Quite frankly, if you look real close at opening those gills, take a hard look at where that air, dust, debris would end up....ain't gonna help our brake cooling like you think.
Grinder19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The gills are directly from the first generation Camaro for style only. They served no purpose in 1967 either.

Running 87 won't hurt your engine, but run 93. The performance difference is so substantial that you might as well get a V6. If you can't afford the fuel, then you can't afford the car. That being said, I'd rather have a V6 that I can afford than a V8 that will leave me anxious every day that I won't be able to make the next payment.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
The difference between 87 and 93 is usually only 20-25 cents difference in my neck of the woods.
Eduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote