Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Drove my friend's 5.0 Mustang today.....

So yeah, I drove my buddies 5.0 grabber blue mustang. Gorgeous color, and I wish GM had something similar.

I guess his is equivalent to a 1SS Camaro in trim level? It was a manual trans.

I gotta say.....I just don't know what all the mustang guys are going on about. I'm just not impressed with it.

I'll start with my dislikes:

seats - I don't know how else to say this, but they just suck. Not comfortable, not much padding. Entirely too small. Seriously, they felt like truck seats. The Camaro's seats are way more comfortable.

shifter - way too small, just doesn't feel right in my hands, and sits too low. I think I may just be really used to my barton shifter though.

clutch - The camaro's clutch feels like it has tons of clamping power, but I just don't get that impression in the mustang. The mustang's clutch feels like the clutch you'd find in hyundai or a toyota. It makes the car so easy to drive in everyday traffic. I guess I'm just used to my Camaro's clutch. It just did not feel right at all.

interior - cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. That's all I'm gonna say about that. Was not impressed with the dashboard. I don't understand when people say the Camaro's interior looks cheap. Have you taken a look at a 2011 Mustang interior recently?

steering wheel - Oh my god. You think the 2010's - 11's steering wheel is bad? Holy crap, this thing is terrible. Feels like the steering wheel on a 1983 Ford Ranger.

ride quality - terrible? bouncy, all over the place. Felt much rougher than my camaro with lowering springs. Couldn't believe what a difference it was.

Now here are my likes:

exhaust note - Now my friend had on a magnaflow competition catback, and I gotta say, what an incredible exhaust note. THIS is exactly how I want my Camaro to sound! It was deep, and you could feel it resonate throughout the car. Not like my corsa exhaust, which has a much "lighter" exhaust note.

exterior color - Grabber blue, what can you say? That is a gorgeous color. I don't care what you have to say.

visibility - better, but, didn't really seem like it was all that much better than a Camaro. Nothing to write home to mom about.

Overall, I'm just not that impressed by the 2011 Mustang. It did seem fast, but eh, I don't know. I guess I'm too used to my supercharged LS3.

After this test drive, I won't be "trading down" any time soon.

monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Mikey193

Drives: 2012 black ss/rs camaro
I loved the clutch in the 5.0s. You should drive a premium though the shifter is better in those. And the one I drive had a 3.73 I'm not gonna lie the car was quick. And the shifts were so smooth
Mikey193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey193 View Post
I loved the clutch in the 5.0s. You should drive a premium though the shifter is better in those. And the one I drive had a 3.73 I'm not gonna lie the car was quick. And the shifts were so smooth
Yea his had the lower gear ratio. I dunno man, I guess I'm just used to the Camaro's clutch. I didn't like the mustang's clutch OR the shifter at all.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Mikey193

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Yea his had the lower gear ratio. I dunno man, I guess I'm just used to the Camaro's clutch. I didn't like the mustang's clutch OR the shifter at all.
Yeah the shifter that comes in the base gt's is shit. The aluminum que ball shifter that comes on the premiums is pretty badass I loved it. I had a 2010 gt and I loved that car such a fun car to drive. And mine was only a 4.6 lol
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I've always liked the Camaro better. I've seen friends' mustangs and they don't ever stir anything in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
I've always liked the Camaro better. I've seen friends' mustangs and they don't ever stir anything in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure, my favorite things about it were grabber blue and the exhaust note.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Mikey193

I'm more of a chevy guy. But I can't knock the mustangs ford built a pretty good car. But my camaro is defiantly more badass
Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
I strongly disagree with the comment on the interior, the styling is subjective obviously but it cannot be denied that Ford used MUCH better materials in the interior, though it seems as if your friend doesn't have the premium interior so he wouldn't have MyColour Interior Lighting and if I'm correct the panels aren't aluminium I wouldn't know for sure cause I don't go near base cars when I'm shopping....
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
goodtime
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT;2010 Challenger R/T
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I have owned both and there is a reason I currently drive a 2012 Mustang GT. I do agree the Camaro seats are more comfortable however the Mustang just simply performs better.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Interesting, a buddy of mine is getting a 2011 5.0 soon. I'll be interested to check it out when he gets it. Seen a ton of them, never bother to ride in one or look inside.

Nice overview though monstertodd. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
mustang interior uses MUCH better materials, I gotta disagree about. Thats one thing where GM really cheaped out was the cheap hard plastic dash, they now cover it with suede and still looks terrible.

Shifting and clutch as with 3.73 the car I drove was quick and smooth.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
I like that color. Neighbor has a grabber blue gt500, with white stripes. Looks killer.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I strongly disagree with the comment on the interior, the styling is subjective obviously but it cannot be denied that Ford used MUCH better materials in the interior, though it seems as if your friend doesn't have the premium interior so he wouldn't have MyColour Interior Lighting and if I'm correct the panels aren't aluminium I wouldn't know for sure cause I don't go near base cars when I'm shopping....

THIS! The interior dash... And the speed gauges .. And lighted door sills i think are a step above the camaro interior
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 View Post
THIS! The interior dash... And the speed gauges .. And lighted door sills i think are a step above the camaro interior
Lighted door sills, cup holders, front and rear footwells, door handles all customizable if you have Ford MyColour.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote