Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 AM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Airbag Recall and dealers changing out without permission

Ok so this doesn't have anything to do with my Camaro. My question is this....

Can dealers replace a airbag under this huge recall going on without my permission? I took my 2011 Silverado in to have some fluids changed out and nothing more. Get a call later in the day saying it's all ready to go and that they have a passenger side airbag on order due to the recall. Ok so go to pick it up and I asked if I had to have the bag replaced as my concern was with my dashboard that's already cheap and brittle. Service advisor said it was 100% optional. Ok go to start my truck and the service airbag lights are on. Go back in and tell the advisor who then goes and talks to the tech. Turns out that they replaced it and couldn't figure out why it's throwing a code so they have to order another one which will take over a week to get. And he also mentioned something about the wiring harness??? Of course none of this was brought to my attention at all as I walked to my truck to leave.

So I asked the adviser who the hell they think they are installing a airbag without my consent? He says they have to my law. But not 5 minutes ago you said it was optional?? He replayed by saying "I'm just the service advisor". This has me so ****ing pissed off to say the least. This is my truck not gm or the service techs or the advisors...but mine.

Now they have to try removing and installing another one in the area that already had a small crack to begin with. And I can just see this escalating to further damage possibly.

So does anyone know the laws concerning this type of thing?

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 01-14-2021 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Title
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 AM   #2
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
I'm not a lawyer but start taking pictures and even record these conversations with whomever you dealt with over there. I know in NJ (by law) they still need your permission to do a recall while they have your vehicle hostage. I believe my issue was a wire being too close to a ground in the engine compartment. I asked my dealer what the recall number was and did it my self. They asked me to sign that I wasn't getting the work done and that was that. In your case, it's their manufactured dash that started to fade and crack(yeah I know most do) and hey already did it without your permission. So, sorry for the ramble, but you have a lot to be pissed about and use it to your advantage. I have a lawyers appointment next week and I'll ask, he may very well know. Good luck and again, video scares them. Maybe get a new dash out of the deal.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
It's a safety recall. Just like the switchblade keyfob. If the next owner gets injured because you neglect or refuse, then you possibly might really need a lawyer.
'Murica!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
supersnake05

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2014 Chevy SS
When have done a zillion air bags already for Toyotas and unfortunately if anything breaks its on the customers dime. Especially if cracks or damage was documented before repair. All of our air bags have to be ordered by vin so I'm surprised they just have them laying around.
supersnake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
unless you have a vehicle covered by a factory warranty stay away from stealerships.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
unless you have a vehicle covered by a factory warranty stay away from stealerships.
This exactly. I throw those stupid ass key recalls away once a month. Why take my stuff to someone else and pay them to mess it up, I can do that on my own for a lot cheaper and have a real good idea how to fix it properly when im done.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
This exactly. I throw those stupid ass key recalls away once a month. Why take my stuff to someone else and pay them to mess it up, I can do that on my own for a lot cheaper and have a real good idea how to fix it properly when im done.

my key recall had been done before i got my 2010. I "un-recalled" my keys because the results of the recall action sucked. Got tired of the key fob banging on my knee, there's no night watchman collection of keys on my ignition key/fob, just the fob and car key.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
... even record these conversations with whomever you dealt with over there.
Know your state's laws before doing so. A simplification, but states tend to be "one party" or "two party" states. If your state is a "one party" state, as long as one participant in the conversation knows it's being recorded it's legal. You count as the one party, so you can record your own conversations. In a "two party" state, the other person must ALSO know they are being recorded. Sometimes there are exceptions for recordings done in public places, sometimes there are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Can dealers replace a airbag under this huge recall going on without my permission?
Civil law isn't really my thing, but did you sign a work order? Did it have some boilerplate about "necessary safety recalls" or the like preprinted on it? If so, you did give permission. Else, they may have done so without your permission but unless you suffered some loss there's not much recourse legally. If you did suffer some loss, it's probably going to be in the realm of small claims court. Look at what it costs to file a claim there, balance that against your ability to win (and hire an attorney, which they will already have and if you need this level of advice you probably aren't going to prevail without one), and the cost of whatever loss you suffered. I suspect if you pencil it out it will not be worth pursuing legally.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I left my car for service at a dealer. They call me to tell me the car has been in a accident and to call my insurance company. I tell them you call YOUR insurance company. They inform me I signed the work order releasing them from ALL liability while they are working or driving the car. I read the fine print and get very pissed! Brand new car with 10k damage on my insurance!

Now if the car goes to the dealer I amend the the release and make them sign it. No one can drive the car unless I'm along. Some dealers won't do it so go some place else.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
The only reason I took it in and i did leave this part out in my orginal post was this. A couple of years ago my locker blew apart. So I took it to the dealer so they could fix it as I had heard that the tech that repaired something like that was actually very good. Basically I wanted to have him pull the cover and just check things out and replace the fluid. So I figured while he had it, go ahead and have him do the transmission, and coolant which would wrap up changing all the fluids on the truck. I talked to hime for 20+ minutes before I left. Not all about the truck but other things too. Well as it ends up, he never touched the truck the other day. Someone gave another tech the work order but of course no one know who or why. The appointment was all set around him and no one else.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Live and learn. Yet people keep going back. SMH
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
It's a safety recall. Just like the switchblade keyfob. If the next owner gets injured because you neglect or refuse, then you possibly might really need a lawyer.
'Murica!
Nope, liability remains as the manufacture`s responsibility for injuries or death not the seller. The dealer(original seller)is responsible to correct safety recalls.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Live and learn. Yet people keep going back. SMH
My service advisor took care of me a couple of years ago with the rear end in making sure everything was done correctly. Hell when I bought my 1LE and took it in for a IDOD so I could go to the DMV. He wouldn't let anyone touch the car. You should have seen all the techs "voluchers" circling that thing. Unfortunately he left the dealership a couple years ago. But yeah I'm the amoung the first to avoid dealership service depts. if at all possible.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #14
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
'Murica!
The problem begins when GM stated that they will absolutely not be replacing any cracked dashboards as a result of airbag malfunctions. OP is worried his crack will continue to worsen as they keep replacing the airbags, as I would be too.

So if he goes in with 1/2 inch crack, but after all is said and done after airbag replacements has a 2 inch crack, GM gets to walk away from this with clean hands. That is total BS.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote