Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
Coyote_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6.2
My 2010 Camaro SS makes weird sounds

hello there. I have a 2010 Camaro SS and its makes 2 weird that have me a bit concerned.

for like the 3rd time I hear a bang sounds as im driving. the 1st time I heard it I thought maybe something in my trunk rolled as I made a turn but when I checked there was nothing heavy in there. it almost sounded like something bang against the car I have no clue what it can be it sounds somewhere from the middle to the rear of the car.

the second one is a hissing sounds from the passenger side of the car near the rear wheel. when I took a looked there is 3 hoses there but im not sure what it can be.
Coyote_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Are you sure the hissing sound isn't your fuel pump?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
Are you sure the hissing sound isn't your fuel pump?
Im not sure but it does come from back there
Old 10-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The fuel pump goes on when you turn the key to "run". You would hear the fuel pump then, before cranking the starter. It should hum, not hiss.

The frame rails have holes, and sometimes stones get thrown up in there. I had a 2" stone in the frame rail for a while; it was loud going around corners. I found it with an inspection mirror and flashlight. Eventually it got close enough that I could reach in and get it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The fuel pump goes on when you turn the key to "run". You would hear the fuel pump then, before cranking the starter. It should hum, not hiss.

The frame rails have holes, and sometimes stones get thrown up in there. I had a 2" stone in the frame rail for a while; it was loud going around corners. I found it with an inspection mirror and flashlight. Eventually it got close enough that I could reach in and get it.
It almost sounds like air is leaking.

That sounds very possible. Im going to get lift it this weekend and get under there to see what's going on.
Hopefully it is that
Thank you !
Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Do you have the dual mode exhaust, NPP? Maybe a vacuum leak, that is were the vacuum reservoir is located with vacuum lines.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
IOM Bullet

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
The banging sounds like the trunk monkey. It has something to do with a butterfly valve doing its job. I think it's pretty common in our cars. It sounds like 3-4 little banging sounds usually after the car warms up. I have gotten use to the sound, so I don't always hear it anymore.
As for the hissing sound, I am not sure. Although, about two months ago I bought aftermarket tire stem caps, and one day the tire pressure dic came on. I went to fill it with air and could hear a hissing sound. I took the stem cap off and noticed the rubber seal from the cap was wedged in the valve stem and valve. I just pried it out with a paper clip.
IOM Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
Do you have the dual mode exhaust, NPP? Maybe a vacuum leak, that is were the vacuum reservoir is located with vacuum lines.
There was no NPP in 2010.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM Bullet View Post
The banging sounds like the trunk monkey. It has something to do with a butterfly valve doing its job. I think it's pretty common in our cars. It sounds like 3-4 little banging sounds usually after the car warms up. I have gotten use to the sound, so I don't always hear it anymore.
As for the hissing sound, I am not sure. Although, about two months ago I bought aftermarket tire stem caps, and one day the tire pressure dic came on. I went to fill it with air and could hear a hissing sound. I took the stem cap off and noticed the rubber seal from the cap was wedged in the valve stem and valve. I just pried it out with a paper clip.
There's an evap solenoid that clicks 5 times in rapid succession within a few minutes of a cold start. It's predictable and repeatable and unrelated to vehicle speed or dynamics.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
There's an evap solenoid that clicks 5 times in rapid succession within a few minutes of a cold start. It's predictable and repeatable and unrelated to vehicle speed or dynamics.
So i couldn't find anything loose when i lifted the car but this morning i was making a quick right turn and it was like 5 bangs I could feel it right beneath car floor.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #11
Coyote_SS

So i couldn't find anything loose when i lifted the car but this morning i was making a quick right turn and it was like 5 bangs I could feel it right beneath car floor.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
have you checked all of your bolts on the drive drain?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 AM   #13
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
have you checked all of your bolts on the drive drain?
No I haven't, honestly i was just checking to see if anything was loose just by hand. I wasn't sure exactly what to check for .
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_SS View Post
If it's five identical taps rat-tat-tat-tat-tat, that's the evaporations solenoid. Always occurs a minute or two after a cold start in the morning or after a work day.

Tags
bang, hissing, issues, mechanical, sounds