Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I personally think the volt is freacking overpriced!!
It's priced right in line with the segment. The Focus EV is priced at $39k and doesn't offer extended range capability.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's priced right in line with the segment. The Focus EV is priced at $39k and doesn't offer extended range capability.
$39k is a lot better for what the dealers are asking for the Volts around here.

One dealer here localy is asking $52k for the volt. I think that's just overkill.

Compared to the Pruis, the Pruis only starts at $23k!! That's a hell a lot cheaper compared to the American Hybrids. but the volt does look the best in all of them Tho.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
$39k is a lot better what the dealers are asking for the Volts around here.

One dealer here localy is asking $52k for the volt. I think that's just overkill.

Compared to the Pruis, the Pruis only starts at $23k!! That's a hell a lot cheaper compared to the American Hybrids. but the volt does look the best in all of them IMO.
And dealers were charging $50k for Camaros at launch in 2009. That's nothing new. It doesn't make the car overpriced, it just means dealers are stupid. GM can't control that, it's federal law.

And the Prius can't go up to 40 miles on electricity only, nor is its primary energy source electricity. The Prius is still crippled by gasoline consumption almost 100% of the time. HSD is outdated and inferior technology when compared to the Volt, or even the Leaf for that matter.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I got my opinions on the Volt.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
at that price I rather buy something else. If it was 20k-30k I'd consider it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
And dealers were charging $50k for Camaros at launch in 2009.
The Volt has been in the Market for to long to have a Mark Up that much. Having a mark up is overpriced. Yes the Camaro did have a mark up but did not last this long.

I agree that the volt has more technology than the Pruis. But the Pruis is selling even tho it's inferior compared to the Volt. Because its not overpriced and doesn't catches on fire. lol

I don't see this EV cars lasting verny long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
at that price I rather buy something else. If it was 20k-30k I'd consider it.
You can get a brand new 3 series with that price!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The Volt has been in the Market for to long to have a Mark Up that much. Having a mark up is overpriced. Yes the Camaro did have a mark up but did not last this long.

I agree that the volt has more technology than the Pruis. But the Pruis is selling even tho it's inferior compared to the Volt. Because its not overpriced and doesn't catches on fire. lol

If gas prices continue to climb - you may see them completely take over in time!

(I couldn't decide whether to use a "scared" smiley, or a "happy-face" smiley...this note will have to do...)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
FenwickHockey65

Quote:

You can get a brand new 3 series with that price!

GM can't control dealer mark-ups. If your dealer is marking-up cars then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Blame the idiot dealers, not GM or the Volt. That doesn't make the car overpriced when it's MSRP (maybe I need to spell that out for you, Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price) is right in line with the competition.

The Volt doesn't catch on fire either...unless you're a total moron and you don't disconnect the battery after wrecking the car, which every first responder is trained to do. Again, don't blame GM or the Volt for other people's stupidity (looking at you, NHTSA).

You can cover your eyes and ears all you want, like it or not, electrification is on the way. Not hinting or trying to imply anything here, but even the Camaro has a chance of receiving some sort of alternative powertrain.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #23
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If gas prices continue to climb - you may see them completely take over in time!

(I couldn't decide whether to use a "scared" smiley, or a "happy-face" smiley...this note will have to do...)
Hhaha. I guess.

Theres other alternatives other than EV. What about those Hydrogen Cars?

I've read somewhere that a guy in the Philippines had successfully made a car fully functional with water as fuel.

Many Car Company's offered him Millions to buy that car. And I believe GM wus the one he sold it to. Not sure on that tho.

Anybody heard about this?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Hhaha. I guess.

Theres other alternatives other than EV. What about those Hydrogen Cars?

I've read somewhere that a guy in the Philippines had successfully made a car fully functional with water as fuel.

Many Car Company's offered him Millions to buy that car. And I believe GM wus tha one he sold it to. Not sure on that tho.

Anybody heard about this?
Hydrogen is still in its infancy. There's metric crapload of problems with it, the biggest elephant in the room being the lack of infrastructure necessary to supply hydrogen.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
If I were a dealer I'd absolutely charge a mark-up if the market allowed. Hell, they needed to get the Volt money while they could.

Market dictated value is NOT an evil thing.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #26
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:

GM can't control dealer mark-ups. If your dealer is marking-up cars then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Blame the idiot dealers, not GM or the Volt. That doesn't make the car overpriced when it's MSRP (maybe I need to spell that out for you, Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price) is right in line with the competition.

The Volt doesn't catch on fire either...unless you're a total moron and you don't disconnect the battery after wrecking the car, which every first responder is trained to do. Again, don't blame GM or the Volt for other people's stupidity (looking at you, NHTSA).

You can cover your eyes and ears all you want, like it or not, electrification is on the way. Not hinting or trying to imply anything here, but even the Camaro has a chance of receiving some sort of alternative powertrain.

I dont blame GM for the huge amount of Mark Up they put on the volt. I understand that dealers are responsible for that.

If a car stickers for $42k and the dealer puts a $10k mark up which puts the car at $52k, don't you think that's a bit over priced?(not blaming GM, just saying its overpriced right now) that's just what I'm trying to say by overpriced.

I know that the volts MSRP is lower than that. I'm saying it's overpriced because their asking more than the MSRP.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
I dont blame GM for the huge amount of Mark Up they put on the volt. I understand that dealers are responsible for that.

If a car stickers for $42k and the dealer puts a $10k mark up which puts the car at $52k, don't you think that's a bit over priced?(not blaming GM, just saying its overpriced right now) that's just what I'm trying to say by overpriced.

I know that the volts MSRP is lower than that. I'm saying it's overpriced because their asking more than the MSRP.
It's overpriced for that one specific dealer. That doesn't make the car as a whole overpriced. You can easily go out and find reputable dealers who won't try to make a quick buck off popular cars.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Market dictated value is NOT an evil thing.
In a business stand point, no

But as a buyer, yes.

Quote:
It's overpriced for that one specific dealer. That doesn't make the car as a whole overpriced. You can easily go out and find reputable dealers who won't try to make a quick buck off popular cars.
True.

But I still think its a bit pricey compared to other competitors. (not saying overpriced)