Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Wheel sandblasting and refinishing

I just bought a winter beater which was inexpensive and in good shape but the wheels are bugging the heck out of me. Has anyone had old wheels sandblasted and just clear coated or painted cost effectively? Can it be done without unmounting the wheel?
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Without unmounting the wheel? Do you mean unmounting the wheel from the car, or removing the tire from the wheel?
I'd suggest you contact a wheel repair company. Wheel Worx is a national franchise company I use to repair and resurface wheels, they repair wheels for local car dealerships as well as for customers wanting their own damaged wheels repaired. I take wheels to them off the vehicle and they have a tire machine to remove the tire from the wheel and remount and balance it once the repair has been completed.
Most likely you'll get better results having the tires off the wheels, but check with them. If not, the clear has a good chance of beginning to peel at the wheel/tire mating surface due to incomplete coverage of the paint or clear. Powder coating would be another option, for that process the tires would have to be off the wheel due to having to bake the powder to the wheel.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
I got wheels on my vette powder coated. I have to say in the end it was a long run for a short slide. I’d just buy new wheels next time
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro__ss View Post
I got wheels on my vette powder coated. I have to say in the end it was a long run for a short slide. I’d just buy new wheels next time
That’s exactly what I ended up doing. The cost to remove the tires from the wheel, have them sandblasted and powder coated was more than the cost of a cheap wheel. I guess if you have an expensive wheel it may be worth it but not in this case.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote