Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #71
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Black wheels =
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #72
Kwiq Niss

Drives: '12 2SS Transformers Special Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
Black wheels are O.K but I prefer "Polished" (a little bling for me please).
Someone said that chrome doesn't belong on a performance car?
(I don't see the reasoning there).

Did everyone notice that first public announced version of the ZL1 has polished? I believe there will be a lot of ZL1's with polished wheels although it will come with the black as standard .
Chrome is heavy. Looks great on a show car, but I don't think it should be put on a performance car. I'm not much of a fan of the polished either, I guess it reminds me of chrome, but I wouldn't give any one a hard time if they like polished.
-Eventually: ECU, rear end diff, coil over's, sub-frame connectors, forged and balanced pistons/crank/rods, clutch & flywheel, high-flow cat, GFX.
Kwiq Niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #73
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
The above message was for baby02 and whoever owns the black on black with the RAZZI kit in the above pic, hahahaha.
Thanks. A Fad is anything that catches on for a while, then goes away, you remember bell bottoms, stacked heels, or spinners, maybe not. Anyway, Black wheels were the thing in the fifties and sixies before mag wheels caught on. Since then polished, bruched, and chrome has been the wheel of choice. As of later, painted wheels have been popular. Less see how long they stay on the scene. But you like what you like.
[SIGPIC]BMR springs/sways,CAI,SCT,Razzi, silver stripes, painted calipers, upgraded audio, Katzskin interior upgrades, 22" Lexani, SSW Headers and cats, MBRP 3" catback, gauges, CF wrapped lip spoiler and rear trunk insert, custom rotor and upgraded brake pads, side markers

Last edited by baby02; 11-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #74
Pentatonic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I grew up around a bunch of hillbillies who drove with the black steel wheels without hubcaps. Ever since then, I associate black wheels with a really junky look, so I usually tend to want to go as far away from that look as possible.

There's a few exceptions though (actually Havoc wheels are one of the very few black wheels I'd consider for my car).
Pentatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #75
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentatonic View Post
I grew up around a bunch of hillbillies who drove with the black steel wheels without hubcaps. Ever since then, I associate black wheels with a really junky look, so I usually tend to want to go as far away from that look as possible.
Very well said.
on all black wheels.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #76
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
Thanks. A Fad is anything that catches on for a while, then goes away, you remember bell bottoms, stacked heels, or spinners, maybe not. Anyway, Black wheels were the thing in the fifties and sixies before mag wheels caught on. Since then polished, bruched, and chrome has been the wheel of choice. As of later, painted wheels have been popular. Less see how long they stay on the scene. But you like what you like.
Haha, I know what a fad is (I didn't explain my point clearly), I was just wondering how black wheels were a fad now if they've been around since at least the 60's (referencing the above) and been used ever since. Yes, maybe more popular at certain times, but always in use. I mean, fads like bell bottoms (lol on those) and tight rolling jeans (guilty! Hey at least I was only in the fourth grade) you don't see at all anymore. Black wheels are still around and have always been around. Like them or not, I just don't see them as a fad.

I was reading these comments to my gf last night and she completely agrees with those of you who don't like them and think they're junky looking, especially the guy who said it looks like riding on 4 spare donuts (lol!!!!!)

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #77
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Haha, I know what a fad is (I didn't explain my point clearly), I was just wondering how black wheels were a fad now if they've been around since at least the 60's (referencing the above) and been used ever since. Yes, maybe more popular at certain times, but always in use. I mean, fads like bell bottoms (lol on those) and tight rolling jeans (guilty! Hey at least I was only in the fourth grade) you don't see at all anymore. Black wheels are still around and have always been around. Like them or not, I just don't see them as a fad.

I was reading these comments to my gf last night and she completely agrees with those of you who don't like them and think they're junky looking, especially the guy who said it looks like riding on 4 spare donuts (lol!!!!!)
I'm sorry, but black wheels went out of style in the late sixies, when mags became the style. Black wheels have only been popular as late for the last few years. in five years, less see how popular they will. I may be wrong, but I dought it.
[SIGPIC]BMR springs/sways,CAI,SCT,Razzi, silver stripes, painted calipers, upgraded audio, Katzskin interior upgrades, 22" Lexani, SSW Headers and cats, MBRP 3" catback, gauges, CF wrapped lip spoiler and rear trunk insert, custom rotor and upgraded brake pads, side markers
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #78
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
I'm sorry, but black wheels went out of style in the late sixies, when mags became the style. Black wheels have only been popular as late for the last few years. in five years, less see how popular they will. I may be wrong, but I dought it.
That's true with all wheel finishes and styles. Like anything...it comes and it goes. Case in point, When's the last time you seen a set of Chrome Cragar SST's?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #79
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
All good man. Honestly I wouldn't really know since I haven't paid any attention whatsoever since I got the Camaro so I shouldn't assume so much. My bad. I'm one of those though that like them quite a bit at the moment and hope it doesn't die out sooner rather than later!!

P.S......I also like chrome, polished, silver, or colored wheels and don't have a specific preference of wheel that SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be on a car. I would probably like it if it fits the car, color, theme, etc.

Last edited by camaro_RS; 11-14-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Update
camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #80
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Hmmm, I have never had friend or foe tell me how much they like my car and then tell me but not the black wheels.
that's not what i said. i said people will tell you they like your black rims because they know you and don't want to offend you. go ask some people that don't know you or your car if they like black rims on a car and see what they say. in my experience, most people do not like them.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #81
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
that's not what i said. i said people will tell you they like your black rims because they know you and don't want to offend you. go ask some people that don't know you or your car if they like black rims on a car and see what they say. in my experience, most people do not like them.
I said "or foe".
I realise they aren't for everybody. That is part of the reason I like them. My point is it goes both ways. And just because in your experience most don't like them, that doesn't mean that's how it is across the board. It is probably your age demographic for one,or maybe even the area you live in.
If you just went off this thread alone you would have to say more people like than dislike Black wheels. That doesn't allow me to say most people like Black wheels.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #82
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I likey my black wheels.

Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #83
DCSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrouble View Post
I love black wheels. Black is the new chrome.
Never!!

3800, Order produced 6-12-09
5000, Delivered to the dealer 6-25-09
6000, Delivered to the customer 6-27-09
2SS Black/Black-RS-Auto-Sunroof
DCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #84
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBty View Post
I give a sguat what the supposed majority like or dis-like..
eh, i call BS. your car had perfectly functional rims in the first place, why would you go and spend $$ on new black rims unless you were trying to get attention?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote