Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Stock Airbox and mods, and roto fab dyno numbers with hood closed?

I see most run some sort of CAI, I always see the Roto fab pulling high dyno numbers on here, Makes me wonder if any of the high number are ever done with the hood closed?

I understand there is easy horspower with a CAI.. but I love the stealth look and filtering ability.. And the sound is not a huge deal for me and again stealth is cool to me..

Any ways has anyone done the regular bolt ons and kept the Stock Air box? If so what did you do? Tune? Pulleys? Heads? cam? Ported blower? I would love to here your results
Old 08-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Then just keep your stock airbox.

Lingenfelter sold an elbow kit for it that removes the rubber tube.
You might look into that.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The advantage begins when the car is MOVING down the road. If you ever actually buy a CAI and remove the stock intake and hold it in your hands you can see the physical difference in restriction between the two systems. Larger filter surface and better intake draw because of the conical filter. As stated above just keep your stock airbox. My Roto-Fab is stealth. I have yet to see anyone drive around with their hoods open showing them off.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
JackalopeZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
The advantage begins when the car is MOVING down the road. If you ever actually buy a CAI and remove the stock intake and hold it in your hands you can see the physical difference in restriction between the two systems. Larger filter surface and better intake draw because of the conical filter. As stated above just keep your stock airbox. My Roto-Fab is stealth. I have yet to see anyone drive around with their hoods open showing them off.

First off I already have a rotofab so I am very familiar with it, One VS. the other does not cut the sheet metal out of the way in the grill where the air has to pass with either stock or CAI

The advantage of the CAI is with 5 times the filter surface area as well as the less restrictive inlet of the box and tube going into throttle body.. So if the restriction of the hood being there is gone it will pull air more freely while doing your dyno runs instead of through the grill like both have to driving around town.

Might have to do some dyno runs myself to do this.. Another thing I was thinking is mounting a Magnahelic in the air box hood open vs hood closed to measure the static pressure difference. I love science..lol Of course while driving you will be developing positive air pressure on the front of the car creating the ram air effect.. BUT THAT IS THERE STOCK OR CAI.. you may get more with one than the other of course.

Now if you were to always dyno these cars with the hood open I think you are getting much less restriction and am curious if any people have ever made comparison dyno runs hood open vs hood closed. The restriction of pulling air through the grill is there like real world.. I bet they will see a difference and would like to know. I would bet these numbers of 30rwhp would be less with the hood closed. Curious how much of a difference the Big gulp makes. I bet at speed could be a bunch.

And as far as stealth I am meaning lets say you go the drag races like so many of us do, I love when your parked letting your car cool and folks are checking everybodies cars out. It is always fun to me to have a car that performs way better than stock but it looks like nothing has been done.. So is it realistic to be able to pull some real high horsepower numbers out of stock air box? Sleeper.. Might be a hard concept to understand I know

So again is there anyone who has done a bunch of mods and retained the stock air box? What are these stock boxes capable of supporting HP wise?

Hopefully you do start driving around town with your hood open though

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 08-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.
JackalopeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
First off I already have a rotofab so I am very familiar with it, One VS. the other does not cut the sheet metal out of the way in the grill where the air has to pass with either stock or CAI

The advantage of the CAI is with 5 times the filter surface area as well as the less restrictive inlet of the box and tube going into throttle body.. So if the restriction of the hood being there is gone it will pull air more freely while doing your dyno runs instead of through the grill like both have to driving around town.

Might have to do some dyno runs myself to do this.. Another thing I was thinking is mounting a Magnahelic in the air box hood open vs hood closed to measure the static pressure difference. I love science..lol Of course while driving you will be developing positive air pressure on the front of the car creating the ram air effect.. BUT THAT IS THERE STOCK OR CAI.. you may get more with one than the other of course.

Now if you were to always dyno these cars with the hood open I think you are getting much less restriction and am curious if any people have ever made comparison dyno runs hood open vs hood closed. The restriction of pulling air through the grill is there like real world.. I bet they will see a difference and would like to know. I would bet these numbers of 30rwhp would be less with the hood closed. Curious how much of a difference the Big gulp makes. I bet at speed could be a bunch.

And as far as stealth I am meaning lets say you go the drag races like so many of us do, I love when your parked letting your car cool and folks are checking everybodies cars out. It is always fun to me to have a car that performs way better than stock but it looks like nothing has been done.. So is it realistic to be able to pull some real high horsepower numbers out of stock air box? Sleeper.. Might be a hard concept to understand I know

So again is there anyone who has done a bunch of mods and retained the stock air box? What are these stock boxes capable of supporting HP wise?

Hopefully you do start driving around town with your hood open though
Just by looking at the big gulp I would guess it makes a huge difference especially when the car is moving. There is a ton more room under the filter also with the washer reservoir relocated.
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
JackalopeZL1

Yea I agree, I know this last weekend running my car at the strip the IAT's were dropping rapidly from about half track on while replaying the hp tuner recording.. And that was without the big gulp..it was neat to see such a rapid drop in temp.. it went from about 93* to 80* in the last 1/8th of the run.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
Thumbs up STOCK AIR BOX

Quote:
I see most run some sort of CAI, I always see the Roto fab pulling high dyno numbers on here, Makes me wonder if any of the high number are ever done with the hood closed?

I understand there is easy horspower with a CAI.. but I love the stealth look and filtering ability.. And the sound is not a huge deal for me and again stealth is cool to me..

Any ways has anyone done the regular bolt ons and kept the Stock Air box? If so what did you do? Tune? Pulleys? Heads? cam? Ported blower? I would love to here your results
to answer the op question you must look and then see.........hear and then listen. i have mods done to my car with the stock air box in place. now i do have a k&n drop in filter instead of the factory paper filter. i love the factory stock look also. i do not care about the sound of the blower one bit. if it was as quiet as my 2011 bmw 750li it would be just fine with me as long as it's fast. i first took my car to torq in miramar fl. where they performed upgrades that i wanted. they included a 2.55 upper pulley, id 850 injectors and a nitrous outlet system from hell. i got two of everything and the install was all hidden very well. my kit also included the new zl1 plate from nitrous outlet. on a 100 shot the car made 600rwhp and 650rwtq on a mustang dyno. remember that the car is an automatic. torq closed its doors months later. then i decided that i wanted a little more power off nitrous so i visted redline motorsports out of pompano fl. after talking with the owner Howard he put a perfect plan together for the car which included an 8.66 lower, plugs, msd booster unit, e85 conversion and tune. all i can say is holy crap. you know that 100hp increase you feel on a cool winters day with a turbo/super charger........well i get that everyday in the heat of the day 97-99 degs. over and over and over and over and over again. sorry ......... with an automactic.........with the stock airbox. oh, i almost forgot......i hate loud cars and my car is very quiet with the stock exhaust system and magnaflow x-pipe. i also disabled the dual mode exhaust so no flaps that open for me. flnal numbers off nitrous with the e85 were 582rwhp and 582rwtq. car is plenty powerful off nitrous and i dont know what it makes with my 100 shot but if history repeates itself my car on a 100 shot jumped over 190lbs of tq and over 130 hp. life is good with the stock airbox. note: my nitrous system cost about 4,700 dollars because i went with their best times two.

Last edited by ninsecgt; 08-25-2014 at 05:32 AM.
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
JackalopeZL1

Thanks for the reply..exactly what I was guessing.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
JackalopeZL1

Oh yea, for the E85 did you have to upgrade the fuel pump/system? Seems it would need more?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #10
ninsecgt

fuel upgrade

Quote:
Oh yea, for the E85 did you have to upgrade the fuel pump/system? Seems it would need more?
upgrade consisted of id850 injectors and the msd booster pump. they ordered it with a cool mounting bracket that attached to the battery in the rear trunk. tuning is where it's at and redline motorsports does it right. i didnt think the car could accelerate any smoother but somehow the crispness is 5 times better than stock. brutal is what i call it. breaks tires at 50-60mph. even though it's an automatic.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Cooks ZL1

Drives: 13 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsecgt View Post
to answer the op question you must look and then see.........hear and then listen. i have mods done to my car with the stock air box in place. now i do have a k&n drop in filter instead of the factory paper filter. i love the factory stock look also. i do not care about the sound of the blower one bit. if it was as quiet as my 2011 bmw 750li it would be just fine with me as long as it's fast. i first took my car to torq in miramar fl. where they performed upgrades that i wanted. they included a 2.55 upper pulley, id 850 injectors and a nitrous outlet system from hell. i got two of everything and the install was all hidden very well. my kit also included the new zl1 plate from nitrous outlet. on a 100 shot the car made 600rwhp and 650rwtq on a mustang dyno. remember that the car is an automatic. torq closed its doors months later. then i decided that i wanted a little more power off nitrous so i visted redline motorsports out of pompano fl. after talking with the owner Howard he put a perfect plan together for the car which included an 8.66 lower, plugs, msd booster unit, e85 conversion and tune. all i can say is holy crap. you know that 100hp increase you feel on a cool winters day with a turbo/super charger........well i get that everyday in the heat of the day 97-99 degs. over and over and over and over and over again. sorry ......... with an automactic.........with the stock airbox. oh, i almost forgot......i hate loud cars and my car is very quiet with the stock exhaust system and magnaflow x-pipe. i also disabled the dual mode exhaust so no flaps that open for me. flnal numbers off nitrous with the e85 were 582rwhp and 582rwtq. car is plenty powerful off nitrous and i dont know what it makes with my 100 shot but if history repeates itself my car on a 100 shot jumped over 190lbs of tq and over 130 hp. life is good with the stock airbox. note: my nitrous system cost about 4,700 dollars because i went with their best times two.

Curious why u went with 2 of everything?
Cooks ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #12
ninsecgt

Thumbs up times 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks ZL1 View Post
Curious why u went with 2 of everything?

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...e-bracket.html