Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
"misaligned steering wheel"

Quick question to everyone who owns a Camaro SS. When you sit in front of the steering wheel in your 2010 Camaro SS.. Is it perfectly aligned to your body or is the right side of the wheel close to you and the left further away? If you tie a string from one end of the passenger door to the drivers side from the same location on the doors touching the steering wheel, is it touching both sides of the wheel equally?

Well, mine definitely is misaligned and although I've been driving it for about three months now, I am contemplating whether or not I should get it fixed if possible, or if this is an issue with many Camaro's off the line and I shouldn't worry about it.

I know there was one thread where someone took pictures and did the string test, however I can't seem to find it in the search. I am wondering if that Camaro owner did anything about the issue or if he discovered others with the problem.

BTW, I did take my car today for all those recall items like the HVAC programming.. It was the first Camaro brought back for such a thing at the Miami dealer so I was a bit worried. They did re tighten the spoiler bolts with loctite even though I had tightened them all up from day one myself. (yes they were all loose and the dealer missed checking). I did notice the car was shifting smoother after the re-programing of the computer.. However the gurgling noise from behind the dash was still there.. So perhaps they did not do that fix correctly. I'll be going back to finish it Monday.

Anyone who can help with the steering wheel issue chime in.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Cool idea with the string. I would like to see it! I am sure your dealer would too!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
I'm betting it is "just the way it is"...car manufacturers just can't seem to design a dash and engine bay layout that centers the wheel in front of the driver. It drives me nuts. I was noticing how off center the steering wheel was on my 2500HD truck the other day. That thing is like 3 inches to the right of sitting in the center of the drivers seat! At least it seem pretty square to the dash...

Good luck on this. Depending on your build and your seating position...this can get real annoying real fast. I've driven cars that the off-centerness of the steering wheel just drove me nuts...others I knew never noticed it with the same car.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
I'm betting it is "just the way it is"...car manufacturers just can't seem to design a dash and engine bay layout that centers the wheel in front of the driver. It drives me nuts. I was noticing how off center the steering wheel was on my 2500HD truck the other day. That thing is like 3 inches to the right of sitting in the center of the drivers seat! At least it seem pretty square to the dash...

Good luck on this. Depending on your build and your seating position...this can get real annoying real fast. I've driven cars that the off-centerness of the steering wheel just drove me nuts...others I knew never noticed it with the same car.
I had a pontiac grand am that was this way, it was to the right at least 3-4 inches, I always felt like I was leaning to the right to keep up with it!
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Supermans

However there was a thread in this forum where someone did have pictures. I just can't find it doing the search. If anyone else who owns a Camaro SS can chime in, it would be great.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Quick question to everyone who owns a Camaro SS. When you sit in front of the steering wheel in your 2010 Camaro SS.. Is it perfectly aligned to your body or is the right side of the wheel close to you and the left further away?
Yup, I had noticed that also. Glad I'm not the only one now.. lol
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
However there was a thread in this forum where someone did have pictures. I just can't find it doing the search. If anyone else who owns a Camaro SS can chime in, it would be great.
Here is the thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34293
Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
dinger

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Supermans - my SS was the same way - take it to the dealer for a wheel alignment on warrenty. I had mine done, it corrected the wheel and handled better thereafter. Per the mechanics suggestion I had it checked again on the next oil change, and it was fine.
Hope this helps..
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
marcajrfan

Drives: 2012 crt lt 1 rs,silver stripes
mine too i'm having it done next oil change
Old 11-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Yup, ours is this way, too. We were told "that's just the way it is".

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Supermans - my SS was the same way - take it to the dealer for a wheel alignment on warrenty. I had mine done, it corrected the wheel and handled better thereafter. Per the mechanics suggestion I had it checked again on the next oil change, and it was fine.
Hope this helps..

Thanks for the heads up and a fix to the problem. Did they have to take apart the dash area for thhe wheel alignment? Any issues with that? Where did you get the job done at and was yours the first the dealer mechanic fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWLSS View Post
Yup, ours is this way, too. We were told "that's just the way it is".
I was told the same thing from mine.. I have to point to this thread and the other so they can see it is an issue that can be resolved.. Especially if it improves handling.. Probably better gas mileage will result as well..
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Holy cow...this many people are having this issue?

And the fix is supposed to be a wheel alignement?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
sooneRS

Drives: Black
i never noticed until reading this thread.. my steering wheel is way off..
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Holy cow...this many people are having this issue?

And the fix is supposed to be a wheel alignment?
Yeppers.. I noticed it on the first day. The dealer took a look at another Camaro next to it and said it was normal.. I new better but let the problem go until I could figure out what the proper fix was. The second dealer didn't know about the issue either and said not to worry about it. I did not want to have them take a part the dash without any prior knowledge of fixing the issue.. For all I knew it was a factory issue that could not be easily fixed without major work or a new part.. I have not taken it in yet to be fixed but I will post as soon as I do.

If anyone from GM is on here and reading this, please help all of us out and let us know what the proper fix for this issue is and if a bulletin can be written up for those having this issue like was done with the spoiler bolts and HVAC reprogramming. It is troubling that dealers haven't got a clue about this or how to write it up on the computer let alone where to begin for a fix. If I go and ask for a wheel alignment under warranty, where would the mechanic begin? Will he pull apart the dash and start from there?

Last edited by Supermans; 11-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote